Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,566,374 times

Advertisements

1. Distribution Centers construction boom.
2. Truck Stops ( travel centers) construction boom as well as decent number of new gas stations.
3. Waning new Hospital construction boom.
4. Much more modest but noticible numbers of new shopping plazas construction of non Walmart variety.
5. Noticible number of new car, trucks and various machinery dealerships, especially agribiz.
6. Cancerous growth of a few metropolitan area, Dallas area comes to mind first, underscored by barely noticible or non existent growth elsewhere (I am sure not a single new home or building was built within 30 miles of my place in the past 10 years).
7. Decent amount of infrastructure projects to accomodate 1,2,3, 4 and 5.

There must be great economic undercurrents eyes cant see, but those are visuals. Economic future is in distribution, transportation, consumption, health care and selective metropolian growth. There is some but very modest number of new production facilities being built, but explosive growth of distribution and consumption side dwarfs that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

18,794 posts, read 8,420,430 times
I see increases in truck/rail transport on I-40 based on my many ski trips from AZ to Mammoth Lakes CA over the years. A new Love's truck stop at Lake Havasu and a new and very busy walmart distribution center near Barstow. And then there is the start of I-11 in Vegas toward Phoenix.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,093,903 times
Most trends seem to be different where I live:

1. There is no boom in distribution centers. Most are many miles away since the suburban land is too expensive here.

2. There are no truck stops within many, many miles.

3. Hospital expansion continues.

4. Shopping centers are in serious decline. Many stores are gone. Walmart is not big here but Costco and Target and Sams Club are doing OK. Judging by the UPS, USPS, and FedEx deliveries, internet buying is booming.

5. Car and truck dealerships are struggling. Internet pricing has greatly limited margins. Sales are highly price competitive.

6. Growth in housing and businesses has been minimal.

7. There is no infrastructure growth. No new highways, no new bridges, no expansion of sewers, water, electric or gas utilities.

None of us provided an statistics to back up our observations. Local trends are often misleading. I have done a lot of travel around the US and find huge regional differences. The national trends I see seem clear: economies of scale and fewer jobs for agriculture, ranching, retailing. In addition, retailing is being hit by internet sales. Strip malls are the hardest hit, but even big box stores such as Target, Sears and Pennys are on the edge. Cabelas was the most recent to go under. Macys is closing lots of stores.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Each of those is going to vary by location. Here, for example:

1. Distribution Centers construction boom. Yes, some of that.
2. Truck Stops ( travel centers) construction boom as well as decent number of new gas stations. No truck stops at all to speak of, and gas stations are being closed and demolished for more profitable new construction.
3. Waning new Hospital construction boom. Definitely seeing more hospitals and Urgent Cares being built
4. Much more modest but noticible numbers of new shopping plazas construction of non Walmart variety. Yes
5. Noticible number of new car, trucks and various machinery dealerships, especially agribiz. No
6. Cancerous growth of a few metropolitan area, Dallas area comes to mind first, underscored by barely noticible or non existent growth elsewhere (I am sure not a single new home or building was built within 30 miles of my place in the past 10 years). Yes, continuing where it left off before the recession and more.
7. Decent amount of infrastructure projects to accomodate 1,2,3, 4 and 5. Yes, though too little too late.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,530,452 times
Restaurants. True statistic, when fast (cheap) food sales are down, the economy is usually up. People are spending more discretionary income on luxury items and food tends to be a the forefront of those items. I'm seeing more new restaurants around.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM

951 posts, read 1,443,940 times
Dollar stores popping up everywhere and also stores catering to Mexicans and muslims. At least in Houston and TX

More and more people are using public transportation although gas and other costs associated with owning car is going down in real terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics