U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times

Advertisements

fio's is verizons package
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,728,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You're lucky you have an alternative. We have nothing but Spectrum.
I know. They are growing in leaps and bounds. I was quite surprised to learn how wide-spread they are. Another "Ma Bell" in the making? To be fair, their service is great. I have no complaints about that. But that's where it stops. It's their charges and their billing that gets to me.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fio's is verizons package
Oh. Thanks. Are they only for cell phones? Do they also do computer internet service?

Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
fios has triple play . tv-phone -internet

Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fios has triple play . tv-phone -internet
All right. Perhaps as a package? But they probably cannot come in here as Charter and AT&T have franchises on it. I've had my phone service with ATT since back when it really was Ma Bell - "the only phone company in town but we try not to act like it". That was, of course, a different company than today's AT&T which is Southwestern Bell renamed.

You knew all that. :-)

Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM

17,989 posts, read 13,233,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you, Toosie. Now to try again. I was asking if everyone's ISP raises rates annually just as a matter of habit. Mine is increased every 12 months right on schedule. I am talking only internet. I have no television and my phone bill is with another company. The increase doesn't look too bad until I figure the percentage. It was just short of 9%. Inflation?
Part of it is. Demand rises, costs due to regulations rise, wages rise, other expenses rise, and they're all passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,207,954 times
Default My Anecdote

For CPI

Wages are up.

Residential rents, while already very high, appear to be slowing a bit. One HOA raised rates 10% this year. Prices are still climbing slowly.

Food prices/everyday consumables are up from last year. Restaurants are resetting prices. I'd put it at 12-15%

Telecommunications tried to raise rates, but competition is effective here.

Gas, Water, Electricity are continuing a surge...our PUC here is worthless. (7%+)

Health Insurance costs keep rising, benefits keep falling. (12%)

Retail shopping prices appear to be stable. (0-2%)

Property Taxes are stable, and assessments are trapped underneath real values (2%)

For Business

Wages are up.

Interest is up.

Commercial rents are up significantly with less available.

Material inputs haven't changed remarkably, but price increases are coming.

Services are getting pricier.

Legal/Accounting services are getting much pricier.

Inflation isn't quite here yet, but it's coming.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 AM

25,800 posts, read 49,685,561 times
No cable as I have rabbit ears and that works just fine...

Also plenty of free WiFi around.

No Cell so not an issue

I do have a landline and it is amazing all what is tacked onto it including the city taxes...

Taxes are scary in that I once had an 80% increase in Washington State... only place that has every happened to me and even high cost California prevents double digit increases unless the voters approve.

There was a time managing properties where every room was expected to have a jack and owners responsible for existing jacks... some apartments had 4 lines!

Now, almost none of my tenants have landlines but they are always switching from U-Verse, Comcast and the Dish companies and the installers are very sloppy for the most part...

Makes me glad for rabbit ears... 45 channels and almost have are English!

Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 AM

In the news yesterday, I read that the CEO of my ISP got a 500% increase in total compensation in 2016. His pay was $98.5 million. No one can convince me that that is necessary. In the meantime, St Louis tried to set the minimum wage at $15/hour. Business people screamed and the state forbade it. They then tried $10 and are still running into the same fight.

And you are right about California. A friend lives there and will be paying more in rent where she is moving than i get in income for a small, two-br house. Yet, in the latest Bulletin AARP called CA one of the three cheapest states to live in. Bosh!

If we could find a good reason for these things, we could accept and live with them. But I cannot think of a single acceptable reason.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Why do you all hate capitalism? In a capitalist system, entrepreneurs manipulate prices in order to maximize profit to shareholders, not benefits to customers.
How does this price manipulation work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or