U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,714,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No cable as I have rabbit ears and that works just fine...

Also plenty of free WiFi around.

No Cell so not an issue

I do have a landline and it is amazing all what is tacked onto it including the city taxes...

Taxes are scary in that I once had an 80% increase in Washington State... only place that has every happened to me and even high cost California prevents double digit increases unless the voters approve.

There was a time managing properties where every room was expected to have a jack and owners responsible for existing jacks... some apartments had 4 lines!

Now, almost none of my tenants have landlines but they are always switching from U-Verse, Comcast and the Dish companies and the installers are very sloppy for the most part...

Makes me glad for rabbit ears... 45 channels and almost have are English!

If you're in a commercial area perhaps...no free wifi in range where I sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Why do you all hate capitalism? In a capitalist system, entrepreneurs manipulate prices in order to maximize profit to shareholders, not benefits to customers.
I didn't hear anyone say we hate capitalism. We simply say it is unfairly balanced; in fact, thoroughly unbalanced. When prices are maximized (manipulated) to benefit only one group of people and the company officers are paid so much that they probably do not even know what their wealth is while we deny a living wage to employees who helped that company make its profits, we are badly out of sync.

Another of my business newsletters came this morning with this in it: "Express Scripts CEO compensation tops $14 million. Yet, when we try to give the least of their employees a living wage of $10 an hour, these same CEOs scream that they can't do it - that they will go bankrupt - and the state legislators forbade it, we are nothing more than greedy.

There is a flaw in capitalism that could stand an attitude adjustment. I'll be fine with a CEO getting $98.5 million or $14 million when you tell me the fast food workers are being paid enough that they can pay rent and feed families without worry.

Fair?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I didn't hear anyone say we hate capitalism. We simply say it is unfairly balanced; in fact, thoroughly unbalanced. When prices are maximized (manipulated) to benefit only one group of people and the company officers are paid so much that they probably do not even know what their wealth is while we deny a living wage to employees who helped that company make its profits, we are badly out of sync.

Another of my business newsletters came this morning with this in it: "Express Scripts CEO compensation tops $14 million. Yet, when we try to give the least of their employees a living wage of $10 an hour, these same CEOs scream that they can't do it - that they will go bankrupt - and the state legislators forbid it, we are nothing more than greedy.

There is a flaw in capitalism that could stand an attitude adjustment. I'll be fine with a CEO getting $98.5 million or $14 million when you tell me the fast food workers are being paid enough that they can pay rent and feed families without worry.

Fair?
All right. Same problem as yesterday. I did an edit to correct spelling of one word and now I am getting the message that what I have posted and I should make it at least one character. Hmmmm? Lots of characters here. :-)

Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Keep in mind that the Fed's stated goal is to have your money worth 2% less every year.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Keep in mind that the Fed's stated goal is to have your money worth 2% less every year.
In other words, 2% inflation?

Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Quote:
In other words, 2% inflation?
From the fed...

'The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) judges that inflation at the rate of 2 percent (as measured by the annual change in the price index for personal consumption expenditures, or PCE) is most consistent over the longer run with the Federal Reserve's mandate for price stability and maximum employment.'

Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 AM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
Quote:

<<SNIP>>
Tell us about this price manipulation. How does it work?

And how are we "denying" a living wage to the employees you mentioned? Are we doing something to preclude them from making as much money as their intellect/skills/abilities/work ethic would otherwise allow them to make?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 AM

I understand what you are asking, TaxPhD and the answer is probably no for many of them. But that wasn't my point. My point was that they aren't being paid even a minimum living wage. When you have to cut out some basic necessities in order to pay other basic necessities, you are not getting a living wage. Then add to that the point that a city voted to increase the wage to a certain point and a state told them they can't do that. Why?

It gets complicated, I know, and I can't explain it. I just know what I see happening and it doesn't look right. Maybe you can explain to us how you make a living on $7.50 and hour and working a short week so the employer will not have to give you the extra benefits (health care, etc.) that full-time workers get. Then explain why a company that can pay its officers so much but can't pay its lowest employees $2.50 and hour more. Yes, those who have more skills should be paid more but there has to be a way to balance this out. And yes there are some companies that give no one the extra benefits. And there are two sides to that story. Sometimes, those of us who have a comfortable income forget how the other half lives.

All that said and before I go, I remember when the minimum wage was raised to 30 cents an hour. And I remember a certain shoe company screaming that they'd go bankrupt. They are still in business today and doing quite well.

Have a good day. I'm off.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Why do you all hate capitalism? In a capitalist system, entrepreneurs manipulate prices in order to maximize profit to shareholders, not benefits to customers.
Because shareholders are the devil!! Capitalist system is the devil too ONE word.. GREED.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Tell us about this price manipulation. How does it work?

And how are we "denying" a living wage to the employees you mentioned? Are we doing something to preclude them from making as much money as their intellect/skills/abilities/work ethic would otherwise allow them to make?
Sorry if a CEO is banking 50mill a year and crys when he has to give up 2mill of his salary to increase the wages to offset inflation and COL to the people of the company is purely a ahole. No company CEO can justified a salary over %20 of the company assets income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or