Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 AM

10,748 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Effective for the rich business men/women to pad the pockets while laughing at us for getting away with it. Honestly our whole eco system needs a huge reset/overhaul. market needs to lower the debt ceiling, shares needs a lower cap, your company assets cant include 80% of the world market. O the list i can come up with but we know somebody will chime in and say its their business let them rape us, we vote with our money. Sorry to bust your bubble, but if your the only player in town, your vote is voided.
That's one of the funnier things I've read today. Thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's one of the funnier things I've read today. Thanks for the laugh!
Glad to help out, i know i was over extended my ability of how the market "suppose" to work vs how greedy it has become..

Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Effective for the rich business men/women to pad the pockets while laughing at us for getting away with it. Honestly our whole eco system needs a huge reset/overhaul. market needs to lower the debt ceiling, shares needs a lower cap, your company assets cant include 80% of the world market. O the list i can come up with but we know somebody will chime in and say its their business let them rape us, we vote with our money. Sorry to bust your bubble, but if your the only player in town, your vote is voided.
Exactly... we need to lower the burden to enter the market and sadly this is regulation driven.

I remember as a kid having 4 filling stations on 4 corners of an intersection... there were always price wars and competition to who would clean your windows better or who had nicer restrooms was all about gaining market share...

Now there are no filling stations on these corners and the new one a few blocks away is 20 cents a gallon higher than 10 minutes away in the next town.

American Retirement is tied to the Wall Street... precarious at best in my view.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Exactly... we need to lower the burden to enter the market and sadly this is regulation driven.

I remember as a kid having 4 filling stations on 4 corners of an intersection... there were always price wars and competition to who would clean your windows better or who had nicer restrooms was all about gaining market share...

Now there are no filling stations on these corners and the new one a few blocks away is 20 cents a gallon higher than 10 minutes away in the next town.

American Retirement is tied to the Wall Street... precarious at best in my view.
waiting on TAXPH do chime i here... let me grab my cup of mt dew and wait for his/her response.

But your right, once your the only player in town you can price gouge all day long and not much the consumer can do. This is why the power companies are a monopoly in a state. Reason why your power bill can go up or down because no competition., same with water, ISP. list can go on and on. I just got lucky were i live, we have 3 power affiliates that share a smart meter. So power bill is always a price war. No terms, no contracts can switch back and forth when they have better deals.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
waiting on TAXPH do chime i here... let me grab my cup of mt dew and wait for his/her response.

But your right, once your the only player in town you can price gouge all day long and not much the consumer can do. This is why the power companies are a monopoly in a state. Reason why your power bill can go up or down because no competition., same with water, ISP. list can go on and on. I just got lucky were i live, we have 3 power affiliates that share a smart meter. So power bill is always a price war. No terms, no contracts can switch back and forth when they have better deals.
You don't have to be the only player. Invisible hand of the market works in very predictable ways judging by 100% identical pricing of gas/diesel at every interstate exit. It is truly miraculous synchronicity between major chains and small franchise operators. It is as though they avoid competitive market goodness as plague.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You don't have to be the only player. Invisible hand of the market works in very predictable ways judging by 100% identical pricing of gas/diesel at every interstate exit. It is truly miraculous synchronicity between major chains and small franchise operators. It is as though they avoid competitive market goodness as plague.
Well houston gas war recently proved that they can cut the price down to cost. Remember the news report of 79c because the other station keeps dropping the prices. Correct about how they all can sell gas at the same rate but all it takes is one person to rise the prices, they will all do it in a heart beat. But once you start lowering the prices, its a wait and see who will drop first.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
What would you like me to chime in on?

Quote:
Price gouging doesn't exist - except for government, or natural monopolies where government oversight isn't properly applied (as you aptly showed in your example).

Old 03-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I'm not really sure about what your point is. Are you suggesting that the invisible hand is a bad thing, and that gas/diesel retailer are colluding on price?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure about what your point is. Are you suggesting that the invisible hand is a bad thing, and that gas/diesel retailer are colluding on price?
I am saying that under normal circumstances gas retailers avoid competition on the price field. I have a hunch that relatively small franchise station operators are afraid to sneeze not to upset corporate gas heavyweights, while big chains see no pressing value in pricing their smaller competitors out of existence (not to invite big chains to move in), as a result price truce sets in, something like that happens between big neighboring box stores peddling the same junk, prices are very similar, or they would do price matching upon demand. John D. Rockefeller once exclaimed, “Competition is a sin!” and I believe Economics 101 does not emphasize reluctant nature of business competition.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
What would you like me to chime in on?

Price gouging doesn't exist - except for government, or natural monopolies where government oversight isn't properly applied (as you aptly showed in your example).
The most vivid memory of 911 I have is hysteric voice of a radio announcer calling patriotic citizenry to report price gouging. Some gas stations doubled+ their prices as soon as planes hit wtc. Apparently there are anti gouging laws just for that occasion. But under normal circumstances businesses avoid price wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics