U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,733,037 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Toosie. Now to try again. I was asking if everyone's ISP raises rates annually just as a matter of habit. Mine is increased every 12 months right on schedule. I am talking only internet. I have no television and my phone bill is with another company. The increase doesn't look too bad until I figure the percentage. It was just short of 9%. Inflation?

I am just curious to know if this is the usual with all services now. It was not when I lived elsewhere and had a different company. But times do change.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,015,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you, Toosie. Now to try again. I was asking if everyone's ISP raises rates annually just as a matter of habit. Mine is increased every 12 months right on schedule. I am talking only internet. I have no television and my phone bill is with another company. The increase doesn't look too bad until I figure the percentage. It was just short of 9%. Inflation?

I am just curious to know if this is the usual with all services now. It was not when I lived elsewhere and had a different company. But times do change.

Thank you.
There's a special place in the seventh level of hell for the pricing strategies of telecom companies in particular, who unlike other monopoly services such as utilities aren't accountable to state or local government to set reasonable prices.

I'm that guy who calls every few months because my bill is screwed up - and never in my favor. It's often double or triple the agreed price. (Time Warner Cable.)

Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
There's a special place in the seventh level of hell for the pricing strategies of telecom companies in particular, who unlike other monopoly services such as utilities aren't accountable to state or local government to set reasonable prices.

I'm that guy who calls every few months because my bill is screwed up - and never in my favor. It's often double or triple the agreed price. (Time Warner Cable.)
And Time Warner is now part of Spectrum (formerly Charter). Believe this or not, some years ago, in another city, I had Time Warner and it was the very best ISP I ever had. In the two years I lived there, they never raised my rate of $27. Never once had to call them about anything, not even service. Lot more I could praise but wouldn't change anything today.

That doesn't mean I'm doubting you. I've heard many people say the same as you say. Times change; companies change. Also, sometimes it depends on the local managers. But TW was great for me. Wnt wish for them today.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,421 posts, read 50,666,198 times
One particular service going up (even way up) in cost is not inflation. While my annual performance based raise was only 4.25%, it's more than enough to cover any increases in Comcast, though ours actually just went down (bundle). More significant is my property tax increase of $1,000/year, and other things like gas getting close to $3 again, a big increase in the license fees for our cars due to a voter-approved levy for transit, and the worst, increase in medical since Obamacare.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM

3,561 posts, read 2,000,887 times
Comcast Verizon and at&t are owned and operated by the devil... along with the dmv.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
One particular service going up (even way up) in cost is not inflation. While my annual performance based raise was only 4.25%, it's more than enough to cover any increases in Comcast, though ours actually just went down (bundle). More significant is my property tax increase of $1,000/year, and other things like gas getting close to $3 again, a big increase in the license fees for our cars due to a voter-approved levy for transit, and the worst, increase in medical since Obamacare.
That is exactly what I was looking at after the ISP increase. Rent goes up yearly. So do the utilities. Health insurance and definitely Rx medicines. Thank goodness I am healthy or I would never afford medicines. I don't drive but I've noticed on the signs that gas is up again. Summer and travel time.

Then I asked if people were getting wage increases as fast. Social Security is certainly not going up. For the first time in several years it did go up a healthy $4 this year which Medicare immediately added to it's premium. So, again, no real increase at all.

I don't think it is need on these companies' parts. It is greed. They see where the demands will be and grab early.

Thanks for comments.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Why do you all hate capitalism? In a capitalist system, entrepreneurs manipulate prices in order to maximize profit to shareholders, not benefits to customers.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM

64,703 posts, read 66,206,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
And Time Warner is now part of Spectrum (formerly Charter). Believe this or not, some years ago, in another city, I had Time Warner and it was the very best ISP I ever had. In the two years I lived there, they never raised my rate of $27. Never once had to call them about anything, not even service. Lot more I could praise but wouldn't change anything today.

That doesn't mean I'm doubting you. I've heard many people say the same as you say. Times change; companies change. Also, sometimes it depends on the local managers. But TW was great for me. Wnt wish for them today.
after 30 years with time warner /spectrum we dumped them last month. our deal ran out and they wanted a 30 dollar a month increase .

we dropped them and got a special promo from fio's . now we got more for less money .

so they can raise prices but it does not mean we have to accept them . the markets decide if you have alternatives available . all of a sudden time warner told us they can cut the bill by 50 bucks if we stay . we told them it was to late , fio's was in and working . in 2 years we will review the deals again .

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,905,173 times
You're lucky you have an alternative. We have nothing but Spectrum.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM

mathjak, what are fio's, please? As for freedom to choose, not always. Cities grant franchises to different servers. Where I live, we have two choices: Charter/Spectrum or AT&T UVerse. In another city, we had only Comcast. Then, there was the place with my favorite (at that time): Time Warner.

Speaking of UVerse, friends who use them got an increase. When question, the person at AT&T said it was a cost of living increase. Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or