Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 10,859 times

Advertisements

Make sure you start saving.

In addition to day-to-day living expenses when you retire, you also need a whopping sum to cover health care!

Check out the full article here:

Retiree couple needs $225K for medical - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,753,027 times
Costs $225k for the retiree? I guess this will make people start to save so they can pay their medical bills. Or people will continue not to save and hope that someone will pass a law that FORCES someone else will pay for their bills... I wonder which way its going to go...

Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM

9,297 posts, read 14,196,022 times
A lot of US citizens will have to start learning Spanish and retire in Latin American countries while younger Latin Americans come to the US to fill jobs that offer no health care benefits.

By hook or by crook - regardless of legislation and promises of universal health care, the fountain of youth, and the perpetual motion machine - competition will, by nature, come to "health care", by hook or by crook, the real economic costs of any undertaking, human or otherwise, by nature, kick you in the vital organs.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM

746 posts, read 3,491,034 times
Medicare, which does a pretty good job of covering my own medical expenses, should be sufficient for most people. It is unfortunate that much of the money being "contributed" (deducted from your pay) is going to pay for war and tax cuts financed by borrowing from Social Security and Medicare, and record deficits.

But the moral obligation is still there for those who are paying into that fund today.

My Medicare insurance costs did go up this year, to $96.40 a month, plus a co-pay of 20% and a $135 deductible.

It is not the end of the world if you do not have a quarter million dollars stashed somewhere for medical care. Medicare works pretty good.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 7,866 times
basically, i think what all this is saying that few of us have much security to look forward to in the future.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,861,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Medicare, which does a pretty good job of covering my own medical expenses, should be sufficient for most people. It is unfortunate that much of the money being "contributed" (deducted from your pay) is going to pay for war and tax cuts financed by borrowing from Social Security and Medicare, and record deficits.
If you look at the US budget the number one expense is Medicare, then Social Security, then interest on the debt, and then the military. Expenditures after that are scattered over dozens of categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics