U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,771,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i always thought that canada was still technically part of england; they still have queen elizabeth on their quarters.
It is and it's not. Canada has its own government (Parliament) and head of government (Trudeau) but not its own head of state (the Queen). Nor it is just part of the Commonwealth, which is really just an alliance that includes completely independent countries like India and South Africa. The Canadian link is closer than that.

By the way, England is just a part of the U.K., which is the entity to which Canada is partially subject.

Such are the joys of empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 PM

8,722 posts, read 8,927,230 times
I toss them in a jar and cash them in with my regular pennies. The coin counter at the bank can't tell the difference.

I dunno why people throw coins away. It adds up. I cash in my coin jar every 6 months and get $100 or so. If you want to toss them away just send them this way then.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:23 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
Its not like the pennies can be used here in the USA. What can I actually do with the pennies?

Also, is there a currency exchange somewhere that I can go to and get the USA penny for Canadian penny? Am I able to do that?

If you really can't spend Canadian pennies -that has never been an issue for me - they are great for tossing on the street.

As a kid in New York, Canadian coins were not common, but appeared occasionally and were readily accepted in trivial quantity. And there was a Whitman coin folder for those who collected them by date.

Just as the US adapted to wartime constraints by temporarily adopting alternative coinage metals - 1943 cents were made of steel and for more than three years, the five-cent coin was made without the metal nickel (it used a 35% silver alloy) - Canada adopted some unusual coinage compositions during the war. Got Tombac?

Old 06-26-2018, 01:45 PM

1,024 posts, read 407,609 times
Where can you still get Canadian pennies in Canada? Everywhere you shop like supermarket, they round it up to nickel or dime.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I throw regular pennies on the ground.. they should have stopped minting them 10-20 years ago.. so naturally I'd throw their canadian counterparts on the ground.
Toss them into recycling. They are toxic waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics