U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Ruidoso, NM
5,179 posts, read 4,840,309 times
Reputation: 4206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
One of the effects of reduced trade deficits would have been accelerating inflation. End of story.
I already explained why it wouldn't happen in any case. The effect would be small, a one time deal (not accelerating) and it would be more than nullified by other factors. Additionally the fact that none of the developed countries with trade surpluses experience "accelerated inflation" should prove to you that your theory is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,271 posts, read 3,502,097 times
Reputation: 8851
Jobs are declining. Manufacturing output is steady or increasing. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,980,745 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I already explained why it wouldn't happen in any case.
No, you haven't at all, and and you won't. A consequence of buying more expensive domestic versions of a product over cheaper foreign versions is added INFLATION. It is simply silly to contend to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,980,745 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Jobs are declining. Manufacturing output is steady or increasing. Go figure.
Manufacturing jobs have indeed been declining in all of the world's major manufacturing economies since the mid-1990's, with output overall soaring all the while. US losses of manufacturing jobs have been about average for the group. China in 20 years or so has meanwhile lost more manufacturing jobs than the US presently has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Ruidoso, NM
5,179 posts, read 4,840,309 times
Reputation: 4206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
No, you haven't at all, and and you won't. A consequence of buying more expensive domestic versions of a product over cheaper foreign versions is added INFLATION. It is simply silly to contend to the contrary.
You keep saying it over and over and over. Never feeling a need to support your contention with evidence or logic. Don't let reality interfere with your beliefs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,980,745 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
You keep saying it over and over and over. Never feeling a need to support your contention with evidence or logic. Don't let reality interfere with your beliefs!
2 + 2 = 4. It's literally that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM
 
1,160 posts, read 607,511 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
James Bond 007, Refer to:
https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec...ally-declining

I disagree with the writer's contending “nominal GDP for the entire (USA) economy has outgrown manufacturing contributions to our GDP largely because aggregate product prices have increased faster than manufactured products' prices.
A negative balance of international trade , (a trade deficit) indicates the nation purchased more and produced less.

Regardless if we, along with the remainder of the world may be purchasing lesser proportions of goods rather than service products, USA's chronic great annual trade deficits are due to the increased imports proportional to our exports rather than proportional differences between manufacturing and all remaining products' price changes.

The consequences of of the nation's annual trade deficit for any classification of products is to reduce (more than otherwise), that classification of products' contributions to their nation's GDP.

Last edited by Supposn; 01-05-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
6,545 posts, read 1,959,490 times
Reputation: 5328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
That was the exact same article I posted. You were asking me to read the very same article that you quoted me on, just re-printed on a different website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:02 AM
 
8,601 posts, read 7,589,396 times
Reputation: 18670
Those links are old news, years out of date and not current. Latest figures show Manufacturing right now start of 2019, is at it's highest level in 20 years and improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:22 AM
 
1,160 posts, read 607,511 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That was the exact same article I posted. You were asking me to read the very same article that you quoted me on, just re-printed on a different website.
James Bond 007, the authors statistics apparently indicate USA is not purchasing less, but much more manufactured products each year. The sales of manufactured products are an increasing share of all goods and service products sold in the USA.

Although, (due to increased sales in the USA), USA manufacturers are producing more, We're increasingly being crowded out of our markets both within and beyond our borders. The statistics presented by the author are not an optimistic prediction for USA's aggregate manufacturing industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top