Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
It shouldn't be forced upon us to only go to college or university after high school to get a decent job.
If you don't want to go to college no one is making you and you can get a decent job and have a good career without going, but you'll have to work extra hard. Some will require a state license of some kind which is typically a one day to a week class to prepare for the test.

What kind of jobs?

Insurance sales
Investment sales
Home inspector or appraiser
Realtor
Daycare provider
Retail store manager
Postal worker
Car salesman
Construction/Contractor
Fireman
Restaurant owner
Small business owner
Customer service Rep

Some professions will allow you to start at the bottom and work your way to the top such as a bank teller, to a supervisor to an assistant branch manager, to manager. Or a sales assistant to retail store manager. Some companies will help pay for your schooling as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:09 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Or more realistically go to trade school at start your career at 60-80k+ As a welder
This. Don't encourage somebody with no knowledge of the past and no sense to become a $1,000,000 a year YouTube star.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:17 PM

99 posts, read 68,343 times
If you play the game the way it's currently set up you'll destroy yourself. Don't ever get married. Your not just a utility but I understand you have to go along with a lot of pc crap to survive. Best thing go your own way. Get a trade or if your techie-minded maybe go into Networking and get a cert or collwege for tech. Whatever. Get a skill and find a way to earn independently; others learned so can you. Then learn how to use the financial markets, it's not brain surgery and you don't need a lot of money to start.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:20 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Forget college. We're already an over-educated under-employed nation.

Get a JOB. Doesn't matter WHAT. Preferably a non-gov't job so you can actually develop a marketable skill.

A young person doesn't take a job for money - it's better viewed as an opportunity to build some skills. Even a bad low paying job is much better than paying tuition for an education you may never use.

When I started I worked in trades. And it was tough. The young guys get ridden and dogged by the older guys, you have to do all the work that no one else wants to do, it sucks. But if you can stick it out and survive you'll rise. And all the hard days will be worth it. If you're awake and on the ball you'll take those skills and turn them into something of your own, whether a great reputation in your field of work or an endeavor all your own.

You don't grow or learn anything worthwhile when it's easy. You get better by facing adversity and finding a way.

Got a quote:
"If you don't demand something of yourself, you'll never be in demand".

Old 05-06-2017, 11:27 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Yes, but my genetic disability has mildly impaired my motor skills of my whole body, and I do things a little slower as a result.
Is that the word of a doctor? What exactly is your disability?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Why don't either governments or private sector create jobs (even if that job creation is artificial) that can be had once out of high school like a lot of jobs were in the 50's? I'm 25, it's a very miserable time to be growing up, especially since even I haven't established myself in the adult world yet. I would love to go to a time machine and travel to the 50's, even if only for the opportunity to live a better quality of life. I'm struggling to make myself and find even a very low-level job. I kind of have a disability, and it makes it a little harder. Robots and automation will probably destroy it before I get to "make" myself and I'll be too late.
Because of the typical but true expression... "Businesses are NOT charities". If a business doesn't need additional workers, then hiring them when not needed is an additional expense for them. Businesses creating extra jobs "just because" was never a thing...
When a lot of students are about to get their degrees, businesses of America don't convene and work out plans on how they can open up more job opportunities for these upcoming graduates.
When businesses get tax breaks, it's DEMAND that creates jobs. They don't do squat. If I were in their position, since there's no requirement that the extra tax breaks I got had to be reinvested into my existing and future employees, I'm going to pocket all of that money, while continuing to slash benefits, cut more employees, and do diddly squat for them when again... "businesses aren't charities".

Also, back in the 50s, the US was the only manufacturing base left in the world. Japan and Europe would need decades to recover (which they did). The world was our deep fried oyster. Also didn't help that more women and minorities also competed for the same pool of jobs, although this is not as straightforward as a good nor bad thing.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:45 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Why don't either governments or private sector create jobs (even if that job creation is artificial) that can be had once out of high school like a lot of jobs were in the 50's? I'm 25, it's a very miserable time to be growing up, especially since even I haven't established myself in the adult world yet. I would love to go to a time machine and travel to the 50's, even if only for the opportunity to live a better quality of life. I'm struggling to make myself and find even a very low-level job. I kind of have a disability, and it makes it a little harder. Robots and automation will probably destroy it before I get to "make" myself and I'll be too late.
OP, what are your interests and talents?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Those who create jobs are too wary of unions to put their money at risk.
My experience has been that those who "create jobs" are too smart to have fallen for simplistic propaganda-slop like that.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Forget college. We're already an over-educated under-employed nation. Get a JOB. Doesn't matter WHAT. Preferably a non-gov't job so you can actually develop a marketable skill.
While the gap has at least stopped widening of late, it is still true that the return to early years (pre-30ish) spent in education is far greater than the return to early years spent working.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
It shouldn't be forced upon us to only go to college or university after high school to get a decent job.
And you do not have to. If you can, try to find some youtubes of Mike Roe (the dirty jobs guy). He is a huge proponent of bringing back more focus on trade schools and apprenticeship.

He speaks about how, when he travels around the country, he hears from companies which cannot find people to fill jobs in manufacturing. Mike said that certain trades are always demand, like carpenters, plumbers and welders. He made a point of saying that a trained welder can work anywhere and makes a 6 figure income.

I agree that we need to refocus on skilled trades, but the skills need to be paired with modern day practices and technology, not to those of the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics