Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We certainly have not saved $5 a year per LED bulb we've changed in our house or my business. Not even close....far less!
Well if you leave an incandescent and a LED in a drawer and never turn either on you would do better not to buy the LED. If however you use them it is virtually guaranteed that the LED wins. Even on relatively low usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Well if you leave an incandescent and a LED in a drawer and never turn either on you would do better not to buy the LED. If however you use them it is virtually guaranteed that the LED wins. Even on relatively low usage.
Who said they were in a drawer? Not everyone uses a ton of lights in their home! Some of use only use them when absolutely necessary. We don't leave lights on in rooms we're not using. There's 2 of us. The dogs don't turn lights on. For many folks, the difference in the electric bill is minimal.

At my business, we've switched from halogen to LED on over 40 bulbs. Our bill did NOT drop in the past year. It has actually gone up. There's tax increases, electric rates increase, delivery price increases.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
CFLs don't have ballasts. Fluorescent lamps do. But that is not a CFL. It is actually virtually free to design a fluorescent with a dimmable ballast. But I would think that was only a commercial product.

I do not know of any one pushing conventional ballast to dimming though it would be simple in the electronic ones.
What do you think the F in CFL stands for? Of course they have ballasts. Every CFL ever manufactured has a ballast in the base.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What do you think the F in CFL stands for? Of course they have ballasts. Every CFL ever manufactured has a ballast in the base.
Not really. Fluorescent had an exterior box that basically provided a constant current drive for the device. That was referred to as a ballast.

LEDs have the same sort of drive...you need something that regulates the current through them

So no CFLs do not have a separate device to regulate current. And often the separate device regulates the current through more than one fluorescent bulb.

There is a similar function in the regulator for CFL and LED. But we do not call it a ballast.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who said they were in a drawer? Not everyone uses a ton of lights in their home! Some of use only use them when absolutely necessary. We don't leave lights on in rooms we're not using. There's 2 of us. The dogs don't turn lights on. For many folks, the difference in the electric bill is minimal.

At my business, we've switched from halogen to LED on over 40 bulbs. Our bill did NOT drop in the past year. It has actually gone up. There's tax increases, electric rates increase, delivery price increases.
\
The limit case is in a drawer. Anything that actually uses current favors the LED. And the margin is fouur times or more favoring the LED. So if you run long enough the LED always wins.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
For standard light fixtures, LEDs are a no brainer. But my dusk-dawn fixtures ate LEDs for breakfast; they'd only last a month or two before burning out. I eventually figured out that only the dimmable ones can survive the circuitry in the dusk-dawn fixtures.

It was frustrating because dusk-dawn fixtures stand to benefit the most from the reduced power usage since they are literally on all night long.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:46 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
For standard light fixtures, LEDs are a no brainer. But my dusk-dawn fixtures ate LEDs for breakfast; they'd only last a month or two before burning out. I eventually figured out that only the dimmable ones can survive the circuitry in the dusk-dawn fixtures.

It was frustrating because dusk-dawn fixtures stand to benefit the most from the reduced power usage since they are literally on all night long.
Why in the world would you keep a outside light on all night??

Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
My condo community has dusk-dawn lights outside every unit. Above each garage and in the porch area. They are on a light sensor, no on/off switch. We do not have street lights on poles, so they are the only light source at night. I suppose they help with security.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:47 PM

83 posts, read 67,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I often wonder this as my neighbors keep theirs on in both the front and backyards. Maybe some people just aren't comfortable with the darkness?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs45 View Post
I often wonder this as my neighbors keep theirs on in both the front and backyards. Maybe some people just aren't comfortable with the darkness?
Police Dept highly recommends it as an anti crime measure. Particularly out here in the equestrian properties (no street lights) they push to light the properties up at night. We light the center island in our cul de sac as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics