U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 AM

9,473 posts, read 3,262,260 times

Advertisements

Start saving....
Get busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,918,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you have to sign up in your own mind first for that tour of duty . then you creatively have to find your way to those skills ,they don't find you .

that is the difference between those who find a way to succed vs those who find an excuse

I was expecting something like "You sign up at a (community) college". Then I was going to say that requires money I dont have..."Then you apply for financial aid"...The financial aid discussion would go something like this:

"Since your income is so low, and the cost of X college is $Y, you get a Pell Grant of $Z... oh wait, you have a degree. That makes you ineligible for a Pell Grant. You lose. You get nothing. Good day sir!"

In today's world of credentials, many skills don't lead to employment without credentials. A self-taught accountant isn't very employable without the right piece of paper.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:20 AM

65,373 posts, read 66,832,146 times
and this is all why you are earning a tiny income . if you think you can't do something , you never will .

it takes drive ,motivation and creativity , not a piece of paper to earn a decent living . you just need to find the things others can't or won't do for themselves .

how you go about finding that area of work and getting the skills in that area are what separates those like yourself from those who are successful at it .

one will find success while one finds an excuse for failing at it .

if you can't do it on your own and find your path on your own it won't happen .

it is so easy to blame everything and everyone around you for your financial issues but at the end of the day it was you in the drivers seat going in circles while others found the road to success .

by the way i have no college degree . i just found a way to make a trade school possible and went on to be a sales engineer in the motor control field , all self taught over the 40 years of my career .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-29-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 AM

38,136 posts, read 19,159,287 times
Quote:
and this is all why you are earning a tiny income . if you think you can't do something , you never will .

it takes drive ,motivation and creativity , not a piece of paper to earn a decent living . you just need to find the things others can't or won't do for themselves .

how you go about finding that area of work and getting the skills in that area are what separates those like yourself from those who are successful at it .

it is so easy to blame everything and everyone around you for your financial issues but at the end of the day it was you in the drivers seat going in circles while others found the road to success .

by the way i have no college degree . i just found a way to make a trade school possible and went on to be a sales engineer in the motor control field , all self taught over the 40 years of my career .
excellent post. Although I did go to college using those skills only supported me, nothing more. I now have a second profession, self taught and have done well better financially on my self taught skills than I ever have on my college skills.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:20 PM

13,524 posts, read 15,183,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
excellent post. Although I did go to college using those skills only supported me, nothing more. I now have a second profession, self taught and have done well better financially on my self taught skills than I ever have on my college skills.
College, but I work in a vo tech field. Not exactly self-taught, I went to a school for it, but it wasn't expensive. Ran about $600/semester for evening courses since I went through an adult education rather than for-profit ITT tech type of deal. Roughly comparable earnings to what I would probably make had I stayed in accounting but more importantly I actually like what I do.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:35 PM

me too . i enjoyed what i did so much i still do training 1 day a week for a company ,training all the newbees .

there is such demand in every one associated in any way with automation today that there is endless hiring going on in the industry for years now .

i can work as much as i want or as little as i want . i try to stick to one day a week .

the company is taking over a company that was laying off 118 people in another industry . but they can be transitioned in to automation and motor controls so all 118 jobs are being preserved and i will likely give them 3 days this week for training .

there is opportunity out there , and hopefully all these people coming in to this area will enjoy a life long career in it like i did .

Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM

5,293 posts, read 2,425,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The only way for burger flippers to spend 20% of their income is for government to allow them minimalist living options because it certainly is not possible when rent consumes half your income.
There are minimalist living options like this all over the country:

If you were serious about saving money, you could easily move into one.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:

IF EMPLOYERS think a self-taught applicant (e.g. accountant) can't do something, self-taught people never will practice accountancy.

What matters in EMPLOYMENT is whether the EMPLOYER thinks an applicant can do something. Millions of people have applied for jobs they believed they could perform, and have been rejected because the employer believed they couldn't perform the job.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are minimalist living options like this all over the country:

If you were serious about saving money, you could easily move into one.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

What you depict appears to not be sustainable. In fact, it is currently in the process of relocating. Since it was filled to capacity, how would any homeless person be able to move into it? Where I live, campsites are very common, but are regularly raided, plundered, and destroyed by police, which is to say that people living in tents can expect to be rousted and to lose their belongings regularly. Who can afford to replace tents and sleeping bags regularly?

Old 05-30-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

IF EMPLOYERS think a self-taught applicant (e.g. accountant) can't do something, self-taught people never will practice accountancy.

What matters in EMPLOYMENT is whether the EMPLOYER thinks an applicant can do something. Millions of people have applied for jobs they believed they could perform, and have been rejected because the employer believed they couldn't perform the job.
like i said , creativity .....why do you insist on dwelling on accounting .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or