Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,717,864 times

Advertisements

When you hire painters, etc., they are hired to do the job, not work from 9 to 5 like a regular employee working on a full time job.

They often have to check on other jobs, etc., before they start work at your home. They may be an hour late from what you want them to be, as they are often involved in several jobs being done by others and it takes time to oversee all their jobs, etc. They may have to take an hour off here or there while working on your job, due to a problem at another job, etc., or to bid on another job.

You are hiring them to do the job, not hiring them to work from 9 to 5. To do it your way, they would charge more, as they would not be able do do what is needed for their overall business. You are only part of their business, not your full time employee.

I spent from 1972 till I finally retired, as an investment real estate broker, and property manager. To give me more control, and have someone that could start immediately to do a job, I had a part time crew of people that I could call who I needed to work on the jobs I needed them for. They were all retired, and only wanted to work part time for a little extra money. If I had a vacant rental house that needed painted inside, I could get them to work 9 to 5 by the next day. If a renter had a plugged drain, I had one man with his own roto rooter machine, that would be able to come right now if needed. He also did several other type of jobs as needed.

Instead of hiring someone to work me into their schedule, I could have them in working that same day or by the next day. I was their only customer for their part time work, so I was no longer in competition with full time contractors having to live with their schedule.

Full time painters, etc., work you into their schedule to do your job. As you are finding, it does not mean you get them the exact hours your prefer. Just because they are an hour later starting in the morning than you want them to be, remember you are just part of their business, not the only one that they have to take care of.

As to your problem with the housekeeper, when they give you a problem you find another one. You are in control there, and don't have to put up with an unsatisfactory one. We have had housekeepers since the 70s, and have seen good ones and bad ones, and the bad ones did not stay around very long. Our present one comes in 3 days a week, and does a great job for us. She has been with us for 4 years. She missed work yesterday, but she has a son that was being operated on that day, so of course we expected her to take off. She has a key to the house and if we are not there, we leave her money where she can get it before she leaves. She is more like a grand daughter to us than just a housekeeper. We can trust her completely.

With a housekeeper like you have, my only question is: Why is she still working for you. She should have been gone a long time ago with her actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,917,350 times
I've noticed the same thing OP. Overall, there is a prevailing attitude of apathy, laziness and a lack of pride in ones work. Conducting routine business is much more of a hassle than it used to be.

Perhaps this is a localized phenomenon. I think it's likely there are different cultural expectations regarding work too.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,822,556 times
I've tried to get quotes for a remodel on my winter vacation home. It is hard to even get someone to show up to look. I had one general contractor tell me over the phone he doesn't do remodels that are under $500K; My budget is only $350K-400K.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 2,998,039 times
Fishing in the wrong creek is the fisherman's fault.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,890,987 times
1. Poor work ethic/poorly trained workers
2. Companies don't want to pay a little extra for better workers

Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,904,883 times
The mom & pops provide better service because they want and *need* your business and have a local reputation they want to maintain. The mega corps don't care if one person is unsatisfied because they have millions of other customers. I frequent a number of local businesses on a near daily basis. The people who own it and also work there are making a career out of the business. The workers at major chain businesses are minimum wage and revolving door. You can't expect good service in this environment.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 AM

If you shop on the basis of "Low prices. Always low prices," there are some expectations that you might need to lower.

There are other problems with that slogan also, one being that it also means "Low wages. Always low wages." Some bargains aren't at all what they might first appear to be.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,904,883 times
^ Absolutely. It's like with the case of Walmart. The prices may seem low, but you end up paying the difference for the workers food stamps, section 8, medicaid, etc.

You go across the street to the union grocer. The prices are a little higher, but the workers get benefits, have better wages, and are treated better. I always try to go to the places that treat their workers good. Most Americans don't care though.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:06 AM

The word "entitlements" should really only be used with regard to public benefits that people have pre-paid for -- such as Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, or worker's comp. These are qualitatively different form other support and safety-net benefits, so some distinction in terminology should be made.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,890,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've tried to get quotes for a remodel on my winter vacation home. It is hard to even get someone to show up to look. I had one general contractor tell me over the phone he doesn't do remodels that are under $500K; My budget is only $350K-400K.
I had a contractor build a two-story addition (much harder than a remodel) in a high-cost area (Chicago) for under $200K. You must live in the Hamptons or Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics