U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,455,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Before you know it, online shopping would be the only option exist.
Sounds like nirvana. I would rather extinguish lit cigarettes on my gonads than go bricks-and-mortar shopping.

Even so, we are essentially at or very near full-employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 10:57 AM

9,528 posts, read 13,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wake up. Retail stores are doing just fine.

Sales are up over last year.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/retail-sales

And more retail stores are opening than closing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#d004b963447f

People read stores are closing and think this is terrible. Fact more stores are opening than closing.

Every year major stores close old outmoded stores when their leases expire as shopping has moved to a newer area of the city, and they like new bright stores.

On line shopping is not killing the retail business as a lot of people think.
That doesn't mean that jobs aren't being lost, they are. Company wide our payroll budget has been shrinking little by little for years. Where we used to x number of people staffing the registers we now make do with less than half that, we no no longer have dedicated staff for outlying registers or to work and maintain the appearance of the sales floor, mgt is scheduled to run registers because there isn't enough help to cover for cashiers that are out on vacation or extended illness.
On paper we look like a healthy growing company because we manipulate numbers, but the truth is we 'make' our profits by slashing costs and you can tell when you walk into just about any of our stores. We are trying to shift to providing services that aren't retail sales in an attempt to keep customers coming in the doors. Jobs wise retail is suffering.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:17 AM

271 posts, read 95,016 times
I'd say more so, the Retail sector is in a transition period. Older companies like Sears, Payless etc that never adapted to the time are suffering. But they will be replaced by someone anew. Best Buy changed and are doing much better, a model Toys R us, failed to follow and now they are suffering. The transition period, out with the old and in with the new.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:22 PM

230 posts, read 277,799 times
Default retail sector lost 20k jobs in December 2017

the trend continues to the downside. The RSI(relative Strength index) has also been decreasing, weakness in this sector preceded a recession in the past.

Attached Thumbnails
Retail employment sector lost 6.1k jobs-retail-sector-rsi-dec-2017.png   Retail employment sector lost 6.1k jobs-retail-sector-dec-2017.png  

Old 01-08-2018, 02:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,382,268 times
Actually when it was only 20,000 lay offs as the Christmas season wound down (biggest in history for retail) that is only one in every 750 people in retail jobs, that was a very small seasonal lay off. Remember they hire extra people for the Holiday season, and only lay off one in every 750 employees in retail, as demand slows down, is really extra good news not bad news. Anyone that has worked in retail, would expect a lot more be laid off as they were no longer needed for Holiday rush.

What so many on this thread are looking at is some people were laid off. However they always hire more people for the Holiday season as temporary employees, and as they were temporary employees for the season, most of those expect to be laid off as the holiday season ended. I am surprised so few were laid off, which is good news not bad news.

Too many on this tread are not looking at the total employment in retail, to understand if it is a big lay off, or a very minor layoff. It as a very small one, and less than anyone with experience in retail management as I had in my younger days would have expected.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 PM

3,594 posts, read 2,027,087 times
I'd imagine a large percentage of those seasonal workers aren't called layoffs when they're let go, or of course when they choose to leave.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 AM

21,034 posts, read 15,325,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That doesn't mean that jobs aren't being lost, they are. Company wide our payroll budget has been shrinking little by little for years. Where we used to x number of people staffing the registers we now make do with less than half that, we no no longer have dedicated staff for outlying registers or to work and maintain the appearance of the sales floor, mgt is scheduled to run registers because there isn't enough help to cover for cashiers that are out on vacation or extended illness.
On paper we look like a healthy growing company because we manipulate numbers, but the truth is we 'make' our profits by slashing costs and you can tell when you walk into just about any of our stores. We are trying to shift to providing services that aren't retail sales in an attempt to keep customers coming in the doors. Jobs wise retail is suffering.
One thing that gets me here is the lack of selection.

Before Christmas, I wanted to get an electric wine bottle opener. Very sophisticated item. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond in JC. No wine openers. Went to Target. Nothing again. Had to Amazon.

A Hamilton Beach electric grill I had for several years broke down. Bed/Bath, Target, and Walmart had nothing anywhere close to that large. Back to Amazon I went.

I spent about $2,000 at Amazon last year. Probably half that was stuff I would have purchased at a local retailer, if I could find it, but I couldn't.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM

9,528 posts, read 13,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing that gets me here is the lack of selection.

Before Christmas, I wanted to get an electric wine bottle opener. Very sophisticated item. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond in JC. No wine openers. Went to Target. Nothing again. Had to Amazon.

A Hamilton Beach electric grill I had for several years broke down. Bed/Bath, Target, and Walmart had nothing anywhere close to that large. Back to Amazon I went.

I spent about $2,000 at Amazon last year. Probably half that was stuff I would have purchased at a local retailer, if I could find it, but I couldn't.
Off topic, but Target? Really? Did you try any of the restaurant supply places, or a wine shop? The Stock Pot?
And I'm willing to bet that an electric wine opener is not the sort of item that most big box discount stores carry in stock, no matter the location. Yeah, just checked the Chicago BBB, of the fifteen locations listed only three of them carry this item in store.
If you want to support local retail jobs have your local stores order it for you, or order it for local pickup and maybe save yourself shipping charges. Amazon is not the only option.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ner/1014620168
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wyndham-H...ener/157230194

Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,382,268 times
Stores stock what the can sell in reasonable volume. An electric wine bottle opener, is not going to sell enough to make it worth their taking up display space in regular retail stores. Instead, they will stock something that will sell. Such specialty items, have always been sold by mail (now online) and in specialty stores such as a wine shop not at most department stores or Walmart.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 PM

16,364 posts, read 6,107,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
very impressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or