Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:35 PM

749 posts, read 848,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Wow, lots of input.

I suppose I came across a bit judge-y and holier-than-thou in my first post. That's not my intention. It's really genuine curiosity.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
No you didn't come off in a bad way - I used to wonder about our friends, families and neighbors too, they were always doing expensive things, buying expensive, often useless things for years and years.

We just continued on our frugal way and in our 50's when deciding where to retire, many of these people were Amazed that we were even Thinking of retirement much less Able to retire. Very few of them can even afford to visit us now so it looks like most were just living way beyond their means for decades.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM

108 posts, read 129,684 times
Quote:
It's just me and my husband, no kids. Our household income is about $82k after taxes in an area with a relatively low cost of living ($50k in household earnings for a family of four is considered to be good, if not more than good). We also underbought with our house, big-time, and don't have a mortgage payment.

I'm also a very frugal person by nature. For me, it's fun to try to save money whenever possible. I love shopping at cheap grocery stores like Aldi. I love when I'm able to find a really good deal on things like clothes (As an example, I wear camis under my clothes every day, and I found out that Wal-Mart sells them for $1.68 a piece! I bought a ton, and out of like 20 of them, only one has started disraveling a tiny bit after over a year of everyday wear but is definitely still wearable under clothes...great value, IMO! I would NEVER pay $10+ for a cami again as long as this is an option. I also wear a lot of leggings, which can be had for $3-8 at Walmart, depending on the style...)

I don't mean this in a snotty way, but sometimes I think about the fact that we make a lot more than your "average" two-person (or even four-person+) household -- at least around here -- and I wonder how others make it. I honestly do. I'm not looking at others in a "judgey" type of way, but I'm genuinely curious.

I drive a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with a small monthly payment, and my husband has a paid-for 2002 truck. Like I said, I'm frugal on so many things. We don't have the newest and nicest stuff in our house, by far...we mostly have stuff we've accumulated over the past eight years. We have a 32" TV, not a huge big screen. My husband has a $29 phone. My phone was almost $600 because I need it for work (well, don't necessarily need it but am way better off with it), but I've had it for over two years now and am not even thinking about upgrading it.

I know it seems like a lot of rambling about nothing, but my point is...something is up. Even though we splurge on some things, my husband and I are frugal in soooo many ways, and we bring in more than your average couple (again, around here). And yet, I still find myself worrying about money sometimes...even without a mortgage, we still have home maintenance and repairs, car maintenance, utilities, etc. I feel like every time I turn around, there is something that requires hundreds of dollars...

And then I see couples who I know bring in less than half of what we bring in, and they have two expensive vehicles -- usually a truck and an SUV or two SUV's -- that carry $500 car payments each and that guzzle gas like it's nothing, PLUS the huge cost of tires for those huge things. They live in wayyyy bigger and better houses than we do. They are "too good" to shop at Wal-Mart and Aldi and Dollar General like I do, so they go to Target and Harris Teeter and the mall for everything. Starbucks constantly. Namebrand everything....chicks who haven't hit a gym in years are spending big bucks on yoga pants from Lululemon vs just buying a pair from Wal-Mart or Target or something.

And I just wonder how in the hell they are paying for it all. I'm so careful with our money and still feel like we really never have enough. What is considered a "normal" day for some of my girlfriends (who are SAHM's with HVAC or contractor husbands who bring home like $800 a week) is a major "splurge" day for me...something I'll do maybe once a month, max, but...

I'm not someone who is trying to "hoard" money or anything...I just know that if we spent at the rate that some of these people spend, we'd be "broke" in a couple of years...yet, we bring in more money and have fewer people in our household?

So....what is it? Are they skipping out on the important stuff (maintenance on the things you own, health and dental care for themselves, etc) and blowing it on stupid crap? Are they just in debt to their eyeballs? Please help me understand lol....
$82k is not a lot of money!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,489,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalEhBrent View Post
Exactly.

The spend more than you make lifestyle is referred to as being a "$5 millionaire".

Old 06-03-2017, 05:27 PM

37,483 posts, read 45,753,331 times
Quote:
It's just me and my husband, no kids. Our household income is about $82k after taxes in an area with a relatively low cost of living ($50k in household earnings for a family of four is considered to be good, if not more than good). We also underbought with our house, big-time, and don't have a mortgage payment.

I'm also a very frugal person by nature. For me, it's fun to try to save money whenever possible. I love shopping at cheap grocery stores like Aldi. I love when I'm able to find a really good deal on things like clothes (As an example, I wear camis under my clothes every day, and I found out that Wal-Mart sells them for $1.68 a piece! I bought a ton, and out of like 20 of them, only one has started disraveling a tiny bit after over a year of everyday wear but is definitely still wearable under clothes...great value, IMO! I would NEVER pay $10+ for a cami again as long as this is an option. I also wear a lot of leggings, which can be had for $3-8 at Walmart, depending on the style...)

I don't mean this in a snotty way, but sometimes I think about the fact that we make a lot more than your "average" two-person (or even four-person+) household -- at least around here -- and I wonder how others make it. I honestly do. I'm not looking at others in a "judgey" type of way, but I'm genuinely curious.

I drive a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with a small monthly payment, and my husband has a paid-for 2002 truck. Like I said, I'm frugal on so many things. We don't have the newest and nicest stuff in our house, by far...we mostly have stuff we've accumulated over the past eight years. We have a 32" TV, not a huge big screen. My husband has a $29 phone. My phone was almost $600 because I need it for work (well, don't necessarily need it but am way better off with it), but I've had it for over two years now and am not even thinking about upgrading it.

I know it seems like a lot of rambling about nothing, but my point is...something is up. Even though we splurge on some things, my husband and I are frugal in soooo many ways, and we bring in more than your average couple (again, around here). And yet, I still find myself worrying about money sometimes...even without a mortgage, we still have home maintenance and repairs, car maintenance, utilities, etc. I feel like every time I turn around, there is something that requires hundreds of dollars...

And then I see couples who I know bring in less than half of what we bring in, and they have two expensive vehicles -- usually a truck and an SUV or two SUV's -- that carry $500 car payments each and that guzzle gas like it's nothing, PLUS the huge cost of tires for those huge things. They live in wayyyy bigger and better houses than we do. They are "too good" to shop at Wal-Mart and Aldi and Dollar General like I do, so they go to Target and Harris Teeter and the mall for everything. Starbucks constantly. Namebrand everything....chicks who haven't hit a gym in years are spending big bucks on yoga pants from Lululemon vs just buying a pair from Wal-Mart or Target or something.

And I just wonder how in the hell they are paying for it all. I'm so careful with our money and still feel like we really never have enough. What is considered a "normal" day for some of my girlfriends (who are SAHM's with HVAC or contractor husbands who bring home like $800 a week) is a major "splurge" day for me...something I'll do maybe once a month, max, but...

I'm not someone who is trying to "hoard" money or anything...I just know that if we spent at the rate that some of these people spend, we'd be "broke" in a couple of years...yet, we bring in more money and have fewer people in our household?

So....what is it? Are they skipping out on the important stuff (maintenance on the things you own, health and dental care for themselves, etc) and blowing it on stupid crap? Are they just in debt to their eyeballs? Please help me understand lol....
My opinion is that they are in debt up to their eyeballs. My only debt is my mortgage payment (will be paid off in about 7 years). 2008 car, and no car payment. Credit card is paid in full every month. No cable tv. Prepaid cell plan.

I am single and make a good living, but I am saving as hard as I can for retirement. Unforunately, a lot of folks would rather pay for pedicures, new cars, and direct tv.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:32 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,006,593 times
Quote:
You're exactly right...it isn't. But in an area where the median household income is less than $35k, it's not too bad for a child-free couple with a paid-off home. And that's why I try to be frugal in most areas.

And if $82k isn't much, how much is $40k? Because that's around what most of the people we know make (and have been told), and they live it up in a way that we wouldn't be able to...

That's why I am really curious about how it's possible or what I'm missing lol...

Old 06-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
You're exactly right...it isn't. But in an area where the median household income is less than $35k, it's not too bad for a child-free couple with a paid-off home. And that's why I try to be frugal in most areas.

And if $82k isn't much, how much is $40k? Because that's around what most of the people we know make (and have been told), and they live it up in a way that we wouldn't be able to...

That's why I am really curious about how it's possible or what I'm missing lol...
I can't answer this. I choose to live life and enjoy it. I save and will be just fine for retirement, but why live in a ****ty place and deprive yourself of life's luxuries? I'd rather enjoy things in my prime than worry excessively about retirement when I could be dead or too sick to enjoy it.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,335,213 times
Quote:
Depends on where you live.

Quote:
I can't answer this. I choose to live life and enjoy it. I save and will be just fine for retirement, but why live in a ****ty place and deprive yourself of life's luxuries? I'd rather enjoy things in my prime than worry excessively about retirement when I could be dead or too sick to enjoy it.

Just my opinion.
I don't think anyone says don't live life. But don't live life to the point you're outlasting your money. That's the problem. Too many have live for today mentality and think nothing of the retirement.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:54 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,228,124 times
Stop comparing yourself to other people. That's why you feel that you never have enough. Nothing wrong with frugality, but comparisons are invidious.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Depends on where you live.

I don't think anyone says don't live life. But don't live life to the point you're outlasting your money. That's the problem. Too many have live for today mentality and think nothing of the retirement.
I suppose I just don't understand. My fault for living in a place where $82k will render you homeless quick.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:22 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,006,593 times
^ That sounds like an awful place lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics