Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
A massive and massively successful welfare program.
FYI:
Welfare is "something for nothing" (except perhaps votes)

The GI bill is part of the compensation for 'services rendered'

Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Viable and realistic eh
It's viable, if you are willing to live that way (in a vehicle, camping in the desert).

If you are, great. If you're not, you will need more income.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well this is what she said And then I see couples who I know bring in less than half of what we bring in, and they have two expensive vehicles -- usually a truck and an SUV or two SUV's -- that carry $500 car payments each and that guzzle gas like it's nothing, PLUS the huge cost of tires for those huge things. They live in wayyyy bigger and better houses than we do. They are "too good" to shop at Wal-Mart and Aldi and Dollar General like I do, so they go to Target and Harris Teeter and the mall for everything. Starbucks constantly. Namebrand everything..

I call that resentment and jealousy. Because if someone was interested in how they do it or "angles" they would be asking the people. Not ranting about it.
How often are people actually buying tires? In the last 17 years, I've replaced 4 tires! I get a new vehicle normally before it needs tires. And it's not like people buy tires every month or every year. And no one has any idea what someone's vehicle payment is! I know many people who lease vehicles and have REALLY LOW payments....much lower than mine, but a lease doesn't work for me because of my mileage and I'm hard on vehicles. I don't buy SUV's for showing off. I use that sucker!

Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
FYI:
The GI bill wasn't compensation. No one was drafted or signed up with the expectation of receiving it. And you only needed to be enlisted for 90 days to get full benefits.

I wouldn't call it welfare either. More like a massive economic stimulus and investment in our country's future. The fact that it went to GIs just made it easy to sell politically.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
FYI:

Welfare is a pretty lame way to get votes, as the people receiving it are known to be pretty much inert politically, i.e. not a rich source of votes, especially legislatively.

That's why government is much more generous in giving the top 50% or so vast tax breaks for things like owning a home and getting employer-paid health insurance.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The GI bill wasn't compensation. No one was drafted or signed up with the expectation of receiving it. And you only needed to be enlisted for 90 days to get full benefits.

I wouldn't call it welfare either. More like a massive economic stimulus and investment in our country's future. The fact that it went to GIs just made it easy to sell politically.
Compensation | Define Compensation at Dictionary.com

Is compensation.
Heck, McDonald's and Starbucks as well as many other employers ALSO offer schooling as part of their employees COMPENSATION....

Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't see how anyone is going to "do well," including saving for retirement, on a sub $20k income. There is a floor to most costs you can't really get below.
Maybe live in Bhutan. Or at least retire to Bhutan.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Compensation | Define Compensation at Dictionary.com

Is compensation.
Heck, McDonald's and Starbucks as well as many other employers ALSO offer schooling as part of their employees COMPENSATION....

McDonald's and Starbucks are leaders in their sectors. I've flipped burgers (Hardee's) and delivered pizzas, and there was no non-wage compensation offered at the time.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
McDonald's and Starbucks are leaders in their sectors. I've flipped burgers (Hardee's) and delivered pizzas, and there was no non-wage compensation offered at the time.
Your point?

Buddy of mine's now wife got a good chunk of her schooling (2 classes at a time) through working at Old Navy.

Point being it's part of the compensation package.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Is compensation.
If the GI bill was "compensation for services rendered" then the government could give host of "free" benefits to anyone who graduated gradeschool and you could call that compensation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics