Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Part of the expense of owning a home is consumption and part is investment. Guess which part allows one to benefit from the things you have suggested.

Renting is where you pay more for impaired consumption than a homeowner pays for unimpaired consumption PLUS investment?

Is this an awesome country or what?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renting is where you pay more for impaired consumption than a homeowner pays for unimpaired consumption PLUS investment?
You've made variations of this claim about a thousand times on this forum, and people who have actual owned homes and rented have explained why it isn't always the case.

You ignore them, wait awhile, then make the same complaint again in a new thread. Your motivation is to play the victim, nothing more.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:29 AM

106,559 posts, read 108,713,667 times
his logic and excuses for everything never cease to amaze us . just once we all want to see the real truth stated . " i screwed up my life-myself "

instead of " i have to pay everyone else a market wage or price so it's their fault i am broke ."

Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You've made variations of this claim about a thousand times on this forum, and people who have actual owned homes and rented have explained why it isn't always the case.

You ignore them, wait awhile, then make the same complaint again in a new thread. Your motivation is to play the victim, nothing more.

Yes, it's not "always" the case, but under either equal housing spending or equal housing consumption, I'll put my money on the homeowner.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If I own an asset, but fail to adequately maintain it, I'll be resoundingly punished when it comes time to sell the asset, in the form of reduced market-value. It is quite literally paying a fine for my lassitude while owning the asset.
Yes, it's as if there were some sort of sinking fund for maintenance costs. If you make regular payments into the sinking fund and thus keep the asset in solid shape, you have every chance to get your money back when you ultimately come to sell. If you walk away from that obligation, in addition to suffering the day-to-day costs of progressive dilapidation, your dereliction of duty will be deducted directly from what the house can be sold for. By the way, you need to change the oil in your car from time to time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The "ownership society" (remember that piquant phrase, from the GWB administration?) amounts to the "keep the Proles occupied with their lawn-mower and paint-roller society".
Not apropos. In Bush's "ownership society", all you actually owned was MORE RISK. As for home ownership, it is more like a canvas on which a beautiful painting can be created. Of course, some just don't have a talent for or an interest in such art.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I'd gladly give up some services for lower rent.
See if you can work out a deal with your landlord. Maybe he or she will be willing to shut off your utilities, but I doubt it.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
As has been explained over and over to you by lots of different people, this claim is bunk.

Quote:
Is this an awesome country or what?
In some ways it is, and in some ways it isn't. It's kind of a work in progress. Has been since the founders first sought to form a more perfect union.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
As has been explained over and over to you by lots of different people, this claim is bunk.

The possibilities are limited:

Is renting when you pay less than a homeowner? (Seems unlikely since landlords are in business to make a profit - landlords must recover all costs PLUS an acceptable profit.)

Do renters enjoy unimpaired use of property? (Obviously not.)

Do homeowners not enjoy unimpaired use [for its intended and zoned purpose, viz, as a personal residence] of their property? [Zoning can prohibit homeowners from converting their property to other uses, but there is nothing to stop a homeowner from, say, changing the exterior paint color - unless they are part of the minority who live in an HOA. Try doing THAT with rent.]

Do homeowners not also enjoy an investment component in their mortgage payment? (Obviously not.)

Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM

106,559 posts, read 108,713,667 times
and your point ?

you are not and cannot be a homeowner so accept your situation and stop wishing it away with no action except making excuses and complaining for where you are and complaining about others who have their money work for them . it seems everyone in your life making a market wage is evil to you . .

landlords do it to make a profit. end of story .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-22-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and your point ?

you are not and cannot be a homeowner so accept your situation and stop wishing it away with no action except making excuses and complaining for where you are and complaining about others who have their money work for them . it seems everyone in your life making a market wage is evil to you . .

landlords do it to make a profit. end of story .

By the standards of ppl here, it appears I would be considered more "successful" if I were to become an exploitative middleman of the sort I've described. My co-workers are also making a market wage; they live in SRO housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics