Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:32 PM

29 posts, read 56,654 times

Advertisements

Did Freemkt write that article?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This guy has some kind of mental problem.

Why should anyone feel guilty for having money and sending their kids to private school?

Or maybe he wrote this article during one of those drunk binges.

It's not having money, it's having money and wealth without earning it fairly on a level playing field.

e.g. exclusionary zoning artificially inflates the wealth of the UMC, tax breaks disproportionately inflate the wealth of the UMC while inflating the cost of housing for everyone else.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
To answer your questions about why someone might feel guilty about sending their kids to private school: Hypocrisy. Is that really so impossible for you to understand?
I would say it is impossible to understand. Some people want their children to be educated and not to have to spend every night doing the job that should have been done in the public school that day. Everybody could have had a good education in America but many parents were more interested in social issues than they were in letting the schools teach and discipline the children. Nobody should ever feel guilty for providing the best possible for their offspring. I remember when schools actually taught children and children learned. That stopped somewhere around 1960.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What exactly is hypocritical about going to private school?

It is impossible to understand bc it makes no sense.

Nothing is hypocritical about going to private school.

Unless you claim that all Americans have "equal opportunity".

Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The basic takeaway is that the upper middle class uses its money and other advantages, primarily access to educational rites of passage, but also some things like zoning to preserve/strengthen gentrification, as leverage to help their kids remain upper middle class.

Yeah, pretty much true. Not gonna lie. Pretty much every parent I know sends their kids to the absolute best schools they can afford, and/or live in the best possible neighborhoods they can afford, in an attempt to erect fortress-walls around the status they've got and preferably increase it if possible. They do this regardless of their professed ideology.

Yup.

I am completely baffled as to how people can fail to grasp the bolded.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's not having money, it's having money and wealth without earning it fairly on a level playing field.

e.g. exclusionary zoning artificially inflates the wealth of the UMC, tax breaks disproportionately inflate the wealth of the UMC while inflating the cost of housing for everyone else.
I'd love to know what the tax breaks are. Last I checked, you're actually phased out of most tax deductions once you get to upper middle class.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I am completely baffled as to how people can fail to grasp the bolded.
Nobody fails to grasp this.
What we don't understand is why we should feel guilty or hypocritical.
Doing the best for yourself, your children, and your family is what you're supposed to do.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Article is a divisive load of crap to take blame off the mega rich who manipulate banks and rig the economy and generally **** over everybody, and try and lump in regular ol people like dentists or lawyers or whoever is not really rich but is well-off and upper middle class or maybe "Lower upper" class.The lifestyle gap between people making 75k and people making 150k is probably much smaller than the gap between 150k and people making 10 million.

The masters are getting tired of taking all this heat, so they're trying to take down others with them.

And yeah, I'm biased because my parents are both white collar professionals, although neither of them make 200k, although they exceed 200k together. Sometimes I feel a little guilty that I have so much to fall back on and others don't, but I don't think I SHOULD feel guilty, and neither should anybody in this range, unless you purposefully take advantage of your family!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:50 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Liberal minded wealthy are an interesting group. They speak on wanting to stop inequality in society and to do more for the poor and underprivileged, but not at the convenience of their lifestyle and privilege. They also tend to not donate as much as wealthy conservatives do to different causes. Perhaps its newer money and they aren't so confident of the money lasting for generations?
The underlined is not true at all!

Those who donate the most % of their income to non-profits are those earning less than $50,000 per year.

Those who derive their wealth from the new technologies give a greater % of their income to non-profits than those with inherited wealth.

Those with inherited wealth give the least % of their income to non-profits out of any group.

Women give away a greater % of their incomes than men do.

I learned the above statistics in a workshop given by an officer with my state university's foundation. This is an extremely conservative area, and I'm entirely sure she's a Republican, so this wasn't a biased presentation.

I'm equating people deriving their wealth from new technologies and women with a more "liberal" political point of view, and those with inherited wealth and men with a more "conservative" point of view.

So, the "liberal minded wealthy" statistically donate MORE of their income to non-profits than "wealthy conservatives".

Old 06-16-2017, 06:00 AM

Throw church out of that "charitible giving" (bc that is a crock of self-serving crap) and recalculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics