U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,909,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What was proposed would have been an extreme hardship on small businesses, it was a bad idea.
Small businesses already do accounting and tax filing. It's part if their job. All it takes though is QuickBooks or an equivalent. Expanded 1099 coverage would not only have paid for itself, but for a decent-sized chunk of PPACA as well. Let's remember here that the IRS only collects about 85 cents out of each dollar that it is fairly owed, and quite a large chunk of that gap arises in the crooked practices of US small businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Drop the income tax and go with a national sales tax.
Income taxes are effectively the only progressive taxes that we have. This is why hacks for the wealthy so badly want to move us into something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM

11,434 posts, read 19,459,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Agreed. That's pretty likely. The problem is that it's tough to measure something where the whole point is that it isn't measured. I know tons of people who have cash jobs. I also know tons of people who are self employed who have a lower cash-only rate. Need a plumber to replace a water heater? You'll get a big discount if you pay cash. The same is true for pretty much any trade.
That doesn't mean they aren't paying taxes. It could mean they are getting a good discount and passing the savings on to you.

We do that all the time.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 PM

5,603 posts, read 4,214,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That doesn't mean they aren't paying taxes. ......

Fat chance.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,451,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Income taxes are effectively the only progressive taxes that we have.
There are several ways to structure a consumption tax so as to be progressive. Ditto for a sales tax.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are worried about the underground economy for people trying to get or maintain entitlement programs. That is chicken feed compared with the underground economy involved in small businesses. Tradesmen and small businesses want cash to be able to avoid taxes. Over the years I cannot begin to imagine how many tens of thousands of dollars I have paid in cash. I get the cash discount and the tradesman or business owner avoids taxes.

Since I was always salaried and paid high taxes, this huge underground economy always bothered.

I know a guy who started buying old pinball machines in high school, restoring them, placing them in bars, and reinvesting the profits in more machines. (Took more than 20 years but he now has a complete personal collection on top of his arcade machines.) When he ran out of bars to place his machines, opened an arcade, then another and another.

Made seven or eight figures, one quarter at a time, all cash.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There are several ways to structure a consumption tax so as to be progressive. Ditto for a sales tax.

Too bad domestic proponents of a consumption tax have not so structured their proposals.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 AM

6,122 posts, read 3,326,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know a guy who started buying old pinball machines in high school, restoring them, placing them in bars, and reinvesting the profits in more machines. (Took more than 20 years but he now has a complete personal collection on top of his arcade machines.) When he ran out of bars to place his machines, opened an arcade, then another and another.

My aunt has a neighbor who makes $50,000 - $60,000 dollars a year working from home just three hours per week. You can too, find out how by calling 1-800-got-chaa!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 AM

3,714 posts, read 1,263,375 times
Quote:
The problem can be fixed in a heartbeat, but the agricultural and other powerful interests that took us down this road are still winning. Even sillier they have helped finance campaigns and ads that support the illegal aliens and stir up public sentiment. All this because the agricultural interest subverted the laws and used illegal aliens. And the politicians and government officials allowed them to do so. Now we are all paying the price and those who broke the laws have been in effect pardoned. Then if any of us oppose this illegal behavior, we get called racist. Sometimes it is really difficult to understand our crazy world. The fix is clear. Fine those who hire illegals. No deportation, no massive wall, no other efforts needed.
THere already is a $10K fine for illegal workers.
They get around it by using fake SS numbers, you can't fine the employer when the Gvmnt enables the problem themselves,.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 AM

3,714 posts, read 1,263,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Steal it from the Gvmnt, spend it on the economy.
Thats the American way.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:45 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,909,438 times
Quote:
Fat chance.
If you simply assume your conclusion, you will always arrive at it.

But in the interests of adding further meaningless personal anecdotes, both my regular plumber and my regular electrician offer a discount off the top for all senior citizens. They insist upon applying it in fact. But of course, they don't come to me each year with their piles of paper, so I don't know if this means they are either paying or not paying their taxes. No doubt, it's one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or