U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,734,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
What do you think of people who qualify for government entitlement programs because their above-the-ground income "qualifies" them?
One reason why I think a BI is a lot more sensible than all this means tested BS.

Obamacare is a good example. If your income is low enough to qualify for Medicaid (~$14k/yr where I live), you get free healthcare. No payments for anything. If you are just over that threshold you are on the insurance program. Premiums are very low, but you have high deductibles (~$7k/yr) and copays. From there up to the "fully vested" threshold (~$32k) you effectively pay a ~30% income tax toward your premium. And beyond the threshold income you are paying ~$7k/yr for a plan that has a $7k deductible.

Bottom line is that there are huge advantages to being poor (on the books) in this system.

Last edited by rruff; 07-09-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM

272 posts, read 103,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
The underground economy or black market has always been there as long as there are taxes to be paid. I bet if you went back in time to ancient Rome, you would find a chariot repair shop willing to work under the table.

Its not fair to those of us who pay our taxes, but fighting it is like swiming upstream.
there's nothing fair about politicians wasting tax money either. there's nothing fair about people who have kids getting take breaks for those kids while using more govt resourses than someone else who makes the same exact amount of money who has no kids (and gets to pay more in taxes!)

so i can't blame anyone for taking cash to pocket more money.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,907,654 times
Law enforcement can. And does.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 AM

8,293 posts, read 3,458,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
One reason why I think a BI is a lot more sensible than all this means tested BS.

Obamacare is a good example. If your income is low enough to qualify for Medicaid (~$14k/yr where I live), you get free healthcare. No payments for anything. If you are just over that threshold you are on the insurance program. Premiums are very low, but you have high deductibles (~$7k/yr) and copays. From there up to the "fully vested" threshold (~$32k) you effectively pay a ~30% income tax toward your premium. And beyond the threshold income you are paying ~$7k/yr for a plan that has a $7k deductible.

Bottom line is that there are huge advantages to being poor (on the books) in this system.
And this is one very large reason that so many Trumpers exist in the first place.

You work hard and put in your taxes and dues for many years, and through 'no fault of your own' you end up lower middle class. Then you see all the poor 'no counts receiving benefits' so that their lifestyle rivals yours. Not fair!

A really good book that illustrates this so well:

https://www.amazon.com/Strangers-The.../dp/1620972255

Last edited by toosie; 07-22-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: The link will suffice - quote violated multiple TOS, including copyright

Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,907,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And this is one very large reason that so many Trumpers exist in the first place.
The "very large reason" being predicated upon the existence of a well-funded but woefully craven disinformation media capable of driving nonsense into the minds of the most susceptible millions.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:55 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Lots of "assumptions" going on. Me personally, pay me in cash for any detailing work I do. Yes, I accept checks and credit cards but prefer cash. Why? So I don't have to constantly go to the bank to get money out. I like buying things in cash. Period. Also CC merchants want a percentage so any payment by CC costs me money!

Am I a cheat? Not at all. I keep records (though crude because I don't understand computers that much) of everything I take in and what I spend in supplies. I report everything. Jobs payed in cash or by check or CC. I even report any tips from my sportfishing crew job. Simple really and surprisingly, most others in these businesses do the same.

Don't report your income? Good luck getting a mortgage or even a car loan! They want records from the IRS. SS? There will be a time I retire so the more I put in the more I'll be able to collect, up to a certain amount. It has already helped in that I had/have kidney failure and because I have payed into SS all my life, I was able to collect under disability for the time I couldn't work. Saved my house! I have since returned back to work and have used up my "trial" months so no more disability for for the moment but you better believe everything gets reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or