Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Instead of the current fair market value, which is much more relevant to the services that are provided by the taxation.

So clever of you to use an example of an anomalous period where RE values dropped a lot!

But all *persons* who own property subject to taxation are not treated the same! The court allows all sorts of discrimination. That doesn't mean it's good or fair policy.

BTW Prop 13 was originally pushed by big money RE investors who wanted to reduce their taxes. The tactics and campaign worked wonderfully.
What part is so hard to understand that the highest court in the land has already ruled on this?

Wishing for something else does not make it so.

My anomalous example means more to me than blank statistics... the example is real because I live it every day... I have been there twice as long in a old home half the size and my neighbor pays significantly less...

What people fail to realize is these discussions only come up in appreciating markets... barely a word when prices drop... yet any look at California Real Estate with show significant drops...

How does a single person in a 2 million SF condo use more services than a family in a 200k mobile home?

Yet the single person in the 2 million condo pays 10x the property tax of the family with kids does in the 200k mobile home.

Yes... Prop 13 has been around for 40 years... and Sacramento Politicians had ample opportunity to address double digit property tax increases and something as simple as indexing the Home Owner Exemption for inflation was asking too much...

The "Miscalculation" is politicians thought they could drum up class warfare to stop Prop 13 cold... and at the 11th hour came up with their own ballot measure... just how dumb do they think people are?

As mentioned many times... I was too young to have voted for it... but give thanks each and every day for those that did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The real estate/ construction business virtually died, and now it is playing catch up. We need less govt involvement and an end to "mega banks".
This can solve most of the problems..

Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What part is so hard to understand that the highest court in the land has already ruled on this?

Wishing for something else does not make it so.

My anomalous example means more to me than blank statistics... the example is real because I live it every day... I have been there twice as long in a old home half the size and my neighbor pays significantly less...

What people fail to realize is these discussions only come up in appreciating markets... barely a word when prices drop... yet any look at California Real Estate with show significant drops...

How does a single person in a 2 million SF condo use more services than a family in a 200k mobile home?

Yet the single person in the 2 million condo pays 10x the property tax of the family with kids does in the 200k mobile home.

Yes... Prop 13 has been around for 40 years... and Sacramento Politicians had ample opportunity to address double digit property tax increases and something as simple as indexing the Home Owner Exemption for inflation was asking too much...

The "Miscalculation" is politicians thought they could drum up class warfare to stop Prop 13 cold... and at the 11th hour came up with their own ballot measure... just how dumb do they think people are?

As mentioned many times... I was too young to have voted for it... but give thanks each and every day for those that did.
The highest court in the land also said that separate but equal was okay.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The highest court in the land also said that separate but equal was okay.
Is your argument Prop 13 isn't legal?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Is your argument Prop 13 isn't legal?
My argument is that nothing is safe not even prop 13.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
My argument is that nothing is safe not even prop 13.
We are in agreement.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
We are in agreement.
Until I inherit I don't care if prop 13 dies. I would love to see some "bootstrappers" suffer.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:04 PM

Prop 13 is silent and makes no provision for inheriting...

The voters of California enacted other laws covering inheritance and a big push was from small family farms having to sell out because farming was no longer viable if subject to higher property tax.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Prop 13 is silent and makes no provision for inheriting...

The voters of California enacted other laws covering inheritance and a big push was from small family farms having to sell out because farming was no longer viable if subject to higher property tax.
Not my problem. Some people who bought houses for 10k should pay their own share. They shouldn't be rewarded because they were born decades ago.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Don't you understand that everyone IS PAYING their Fair Share under the law unless the owner happens to be a non-profit of religious and they pay nothing.

Anyone not paying the amount due will loose the property in a tax lien sale.

I tried to point out how is it fair to tax the guy and a SF Condo worth 2 million ten times more than a family with kids in school living in a 200k mobile home... he certainly isn't using 10 times the services.

It's actually quite the opposite... the family in the 200k mobile home with kids in school is using many times the services of the guy in the condo...

Maybe I should adopt your stance and say it is not my problem that those complaining sat on the sidelines during the BUY opportunity of a lifetime just 5 years ago???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics