Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 PM

564 posts, read 448,929 times

Advertisements

Rruf, so the doubling of debt over the past 8 years was Bush's fault? Give me a number, I'll get you there. There's a reason for the old saw, Figures don't lie, but...

Old 06-29-2017, 07:26 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I produced goods and services that others purchased from me in what was perceived to be a fair trade, and now various other people want half of that? Based on what kind of claim? Hello?
The claim of living in a country that enables you to make that kind of money, and the other incidental factor that substantial wealth redistribution is necessary for consumer capitalism to work.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Rruf, so the doubling of debt over the past 8 years was Bush's fault?
Whoever you'd like to blame for the financial debacle that popped in 2008.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The claim of living in a country that enables you to make that kind of money,
Coolidge's budget was 2.5% of GDP and there was arguably more opportunity then than now. That amount may have been too small but 41% of GDP, adding up Federal, state, and local spending, is too large...isn't it?

Quote:
and the other incidental factor that substantial wealth redistribution is necessary for consumer capitalism to work.
If you say so. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Coolidge's budget was 2.5% of GDP and there was arguably more opportunity then than now.
There is a lot of "opportunity" in Somalia too. Check it out.

Quote:
That amount may have been too small but 41% of GDP, adding up Federal, state, and local spending, is too large...isn't it?
This is how the US ranks for total taxation.

Quote:
If you say so.
It isn't a matter of opinion. It's been well known since the industrial revolution began.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Also, it did not cost a fortune to attend college, and one did not need insurance to go to the doctor or dentist, and drugs costs did not equal mortgage payments for a single pill. Now, a single episode of a dread disease will bankrupt the average person who has no health insurance.

In the "good old days," hoodlums were sent to reform school, no one "did" drugs, and young ladies who got pregnant were sent to live with an aunt for a while. Some people did not go to college, but were able to get apprenticeships at vo-tech high schools.

The downside of these "good old days" is that there was considerable prejudice against minorities, and working women were not expected to marry. It was a (white) man's world....

The music was great, though......
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 70 and I grew up in the 50's and 60's and it was not just like an episode of "Happy Days".

My mom became seriously ill in the 50's and my parent's couldn't afford her medical care so she went to the University of SF medical school. As a condition of free treatment there you were expected to participate in medical experiments, so she participated in some experiments measuring the effects of radiation on the human body. She died at 69 from Hashimoto's disease (thyroid disease) apparently caused by the radiation exposure.

Young ladies who got pregnant were just as likely to douche with coca cola or have their boyfriend repeatedly hit or kick them in the abdomen in order to abort the fetus as they were to go live with an aunt.

My Dad worked in a chemical plant, primarily making explosives and died at 66 from a failed heart valve attributable to 40 years of exposure to toxic chemicals.

Life has always been pretty good for people who don't have to worry about money & it still is, but without money the 'good old days' were not really all that good.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
This is how the US ranks for total taxation.
I said spending is 41%. Taxation is less, so we have a deficit. However, a deficit is just a deferred tax. Your kids and my kids will pay it.

Quote:
It isn't a matter of opinion. It's been well known since the industrial revolution began.
Calling your opinion a fact doesn't make it a fact. There are many people who disagree with you. But, unless you live in an astonishingly large "progressive" bubble, you knew that.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
So I am arguing for lower taxes as a matter of principle - it's not your money to take from me - rather than because I can't survive without it. I produced goods and services that others purchased from me in what was perceived to be a fair trade, and now various other people want half of that? Based on what kind of claim? Hello?
Hello, indeed! The accounts are not settled until you have equitably reimbursed the state for having made your success possible to begin with. What's fair in terms of tax burden for persons in your lofty or not situation is not determined by you or by any group of hired-hand FOX News phonies. In our system, those decisions are exclusively made by our elected representatives and then published in the tax code. We jail those people who fail to respect the tax code adequately.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:23 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Coolidge's budget was 2.5% of GDP and there was arguably more opportunity then than now.
Coolidge was literate and generally popular, but was hardly any gem of a Chief Executive. His name has been elevated under false premises by latter-day right-wing propagandists interested only in glorifying the sort of hands-off economic policies that Coolidge himself came to regret. Indeed, such prosperity as may have been claimed for the Coolidge era had more to do with post-WWI gold inflows than with anything Coolidge himself ever did.

Quote:
That amount may have been too small but 41% of GDP, adding up Federal, state, and local spending, is too large...isn't it?
41% would be too large because the actual number is nowhere near that. GDP is published by disposition with BEA ascribing 17.6% of GDP to the public sector in 2016, with 38% of that attributable to the Feds and the remaining 62% to state and local levels.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I said spending is 41%. Taxation is less, so we have a deficit. However, a deficit is just a deferred tax. Your kids and my kids will pay it.
You don't understand what a federal deficit means either, apparently. No one will pay it, and nothing is deferred. And didn't this start with you complaining about high taxation? Taxes in the US have always been low.

Quote:
There are many people who disagree with you.
Many people disagree with facts. It's seems to be getting more popular all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics