Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,196,263 times

Advertisements

I remember my economics teachers and several sociology professors studying the effects of Walmart to the US job sector, consumer behaviors, and the social impact of rural counties were Walmart moved in and subsequently disrupted local business and the job market. Walmart was vilified for the negative consequences but economists touted the efficiency that Walmart was producing. There were literal ghost towns made out of a handful of counties because local businesses couldn't compete and in some cases, Walmart folded the store due to shrinking revenue. A number of other big box competitors also saw their lunch being taken (Circuit City, Fedco, Sears, Kmart, etc).

Fast-forward today and the argument can be made that Amazon.com is having a similar effect. They undercut in pricing, streamlined their logistics, and took advantage of online/mobile sales. It is probably the most convenient, cost-effective, and consumer reviewed way to shop and buy goods and services. However, we're seeing the collapse of the mall and retail as a sector is really taking it on the chin. Yet we do not see the backlash of Amazon; instead we champion them as disruptors and innovators. The only negative press I see on Amazon is the treatment of their warehouse workers and how the conditions inside can be near deadly. I'm not seeing much analysis on the macroeconomic effect or the sociological effect on job displacement/efficiencies.

Do you see Amazon analogous to the 1990's Walmart? Do you think the demonization of Walmart was unfair or misplaced (they are the nation's largest employer after all and they aren't afraid to raise wages)? Do you think Amazon is doing a good thing or do you think the consequences are damaging to society and/or the economy? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:31 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,075,219 times
The nature of retailing is changing. Trying to attribute the changes to a couple of companies is silly. Regardless of the success of one or two companies, retailing will continue to change.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
80% of my shopping is done online. I ordered 12 cans of brake fluid for the same price I would pay to buy 5 cans locally. The only things I buy locally are food and some things that I need now and can't wait to have them delivered or it's too cumbersome to deliver. But the majority is all online. EBay or Amazon. I can't remember the last book I bought in a store. Pretty much kindle through Amazon. Ammo? Online, clothes? Online.

Why? Because I'm looking at my wallet and want to keep as much as I can in there.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,196,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
80% of my shopping is done online. I ordered 12 cans of brake fluid for the same price I would pay to buy 5 cans locally. The only things I buy locally are food and some things that I need now and can't wait to have them delivered or it's too cumbersome to deliver. But the majority is all online. EBay or Amazon. I can't remember the last book I bought in a store. Pretty much kindle through Amazon. Ammo? Online, clothes? Online.

Why? Because I'm looking at my wallet and want to keep as much as I can in there.
I generally do the same and I find the convenience of shopping online prevents the hassle of driving around to various retailers. I probably make 4 orders through Amazon, Target, Newegg, and Homedepot.com per week. There are a few downsides to not going to the shelf to pick your own merchandise; in same cases you're getting NOS (new old stock), and in the case of your brake fluid you'd want something that hasn't been sitting on the shelf for too long since brake fluid is hygroscopic. I've received dog treats and human snacks that were a month away from their "best before" date, something that doesn't happen to me at the brick and mortar stores.

I remember I was hanging out with a tech millionaire back in 2008 and he said that people would be doing 80% of their web-browsing and shopping through their smartphones, and we all thought he was exaggerating. Mind you, this was back when the iPhone 2G just came out. Well, he was right and we were wrong, and that's why he's got $500M and we don't.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,221,719 times
Amazon is not becoming, they already are.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,889,594 times
Amazon only seems to be worth it if you use prime. I don't buy enough items for prime to be worth it really. If I do need to buy something, I just go on Ebay where the prices are lower and the shipping is free priority mail rather than the week long shipping service Amazon offers to non-prime users.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 AM

34,821 posts, read 30,898,649 times
I live in a small town with a low median income. I make twice the median male income, and I'm far from getting rich.

People here are not wealthy at all. This is Walmart country to the core. Given that fact, there's not a lot of variety in shopping. I like Clark's shoes, but it's rare I can even find a style I like locally. Computer or electronic equipment? Other than Best Buy, there's none available here. Healthy and organic nonperishable food? We don't have enough disposable for local grocery stores to stock that stuff. There is so much stuff I took for granted living in a major city that is simply not available locally here, and Amazon is the best way to get that stuff.

I've been an Amazon member since 2004 when I turned 18. Before then, my parents would order stuff for me online. Back then, it was the only way to get a lot of books and CDs that weren't available here.

I don't see Amazon as evil - they were simply the first and generally best to move into what turned out to be a huge market.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM

31 posts, read 19,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I remember my economics teachers and several sociology professors studying the effects of Walmart to the US job sector, consumer behaviors, and the social impact of rural counties were Walmart moved in and subsequently disrupted local business and the job market. Walmart was vilified for the negative consequences but economists touted the efficiency that Walmart was producing. There were literal ghost towns made out of a handful of counties because local businesses couldn't compete and in some cases, Walmart folded the store due to shrinking revenue. A number of other big box competitors also saw their lunch being taken (Circuit City, Fedco, Sears, Kmart, etc).

Fast-forward today and the argument can be made that Amazon.com is having a similar effect. They undercut in pricing, streamlined their logistics, and took advantage of online/mobile sales. It is probably the most convenient, cost-effective, and consumer reviewed way to shop and buy goods and services. However, we're seeing the collapse of the mall and retail as a sector is really taking it on the chin. Yet we do not see the backlash of Amazon; instead we champion them as disruptors and innovators. The only negative press I see on Amazon is the treatment of their warehouse workers and how the conditions inside can be near deadly. I'm not seeing much analysis on the macroeconomic effect or the sociological effect on job displacement/efficiencies.

Do you see Amazon analogous to the 1990's Walmart? Do you think the demonization of Walmart was unfair or misplaced (they are the nation's largest employer after all and they aren't afraid to raise wages)? Do you think Amazon is doing a good thing or do you think the consequences are damaging to society and/or the economy? What are your thoughts?

That was a good post.

I always felt the same way, but could just not put it into words.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,376,202 times
It is just a whole different shopping-environment, the internet has exploded and changed shopping as we know it.

If I am looking for something, say a hard to find book......I will not even consider going to the local bookstore, poor selection and mainly rude employees. Off to the internet, a book search-engine will make my search cheap and easy.

Walmart still has a huge advantage over Amazon....because people do still shop as "stores". I think Walmart is doing what should be done to compete with Amazon, putting more and more stuff (Walmart is currently doing a pretty big expansion of their in-store tool-section) in their stores and beefing-up their online presence.

Walmart and Amazon have led the way in reshaping how people buy stuff.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM

317 posts, read 237,073 times
i have been amazon customer for more dozen years,but prime member just the first year,now a days they are not cheap any more,some stuff i still buy from them,mostly local shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics