U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM

190 posts, read 195,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Good grief. Rich people sitting on even more cash does nothing to help the economy. Does that about cover it for you? LOL
Maybe you should go rob them and spend their money in a more equitable way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,496,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avram42 View Post
Chalk one more in the column that assumes I'm a republican.
No, I assume you are a tool, or perhaps just a libertarian.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:26 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,969 times
Quote:
Apparently, the numerous tax codes that already had a shot at the money to politically redistribute wasn't enough. He or she wants to take the after tax amount....and use it the "right" way. What ever that means.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, all of those 'job creators' ROTFL

Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
No, I assume you are a tool, or perhaps just a libertarian.
If I'm a tool, whomever is trying to use me isn't getting a lot out of it.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, all of those 'job creators' ROTFL
Rich Lives Matter.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Apparently, the numerous tax codes that already had a shot at the money to politically redistribute wasn't enough. He or she wants to take the after tax amount....and use it the "right" way. What ever that means.
Yes, now you prove you can post a load of *******s. <groan>

I actually do agree with what you posted earlier in the thread though-

Quote:
Perhaps both sides of the government aisle are wrong and the answer falls somewhere in the middle. I can say for certain that no government has the most efficient and effective answer.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM

8,305 posts, read 8,580,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
8 years of 0% interest rates, massive stimulus packages, 10 trillion dollars in deficit spending; We never reached 2% growth, the entire market turned into a game of "lets see what the fed does" no fundementals were being looked at at all. We used every government tool possible to stimulate growth and it didn't work. Without growth being at or near historic norms we will never beable to afford this level of government we have. Thankfully we now have an actual pro-growth government in place focused on things that will actually grow our economy like increasing productivity, getting government out of the way. Yes there will be a business cycle, malinvestment during the stronger years will have to be corrected but hopefully we never resort to these exotic government measures that don't work again.
It proved nothing of the sort.

Obama encountered the same dilemma that FDR did during the Great Depression. Excess government spending will certainly increase GDP and the percentage of people employed. However, it will also raise deficit spending to the point where people will become very fearful. In such an environment, it is difficult to get Congress to increase spending by the amount needed to fully eliminate unemployment and get the economy back on track.

World War II was literally a massive experiment in Keynesian economics. The massive spending required by the war lifted America out of the last vestiges of the Great Depression and created conditions of full employment and a rapidly expanding GDP. However, without a national crisis on par with World War II, Congress isn't about to entertain massive increases in government spending.

The most laughable part about your post though is "that we now have a pro-growth government in place".

We now have a government in place that wants massive cuts in social welfare and entitlement programs. If they ever succeed in getting what they claim they want, the rest of the country won't want it. It will reduce GDP and jobs. It will further cause a massive redistribution of wealth to the upper 5% of this country.

Just a suggestion: In the future, you might get out an economics text book and read it thoroughly before sharing your wisdom with us. I question your understanding of both economic theory and history.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,905,340 times
In Populist World, the ramblings of illiterates are to be given the same weight as the published words of studied experts. We all know after all that "experts" are actually just ivory tower elites who are out of touch with mainstream America.

We are not supposed to notice that the above is just another way of saying that this "mainstream America" is divorced from reality and doesn't actually understand what's being talked about. Perhaps it's getting to be time here for a smart-person backlash of some sort.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-13-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
In Populist World, the ramblings of illiterates are to be given the same weight as the published words of studied experts. We all know after all that "experts" are actually just ivory tower elites who are out of touch with mainstream America.

We are not supposed to notice that the above is just another way of saying that this "mainstream America" is divorced from reality and doesn't actually understand what's being talked about. Perhaps it's getting to be time here for a smart-person backlash of some sort.
This whole statement is dripping with a sense of superiority. I'm not even going to say it's an undeserved sense since it is apparent you are far more educated than the hoi polloi. What I will say is that this specific sentiment is what those same people you [hope to] rely on for voting so disdain (because, in the current world the illiterate DO have the same weight as the educated when they vote).

If you are looking for sarcasm I will clarify I am entirely sincere.

Have a good afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics