U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Yes, now you prove you can post a load of *******s. <groan>

I actually do agree with what you posted earlier in the thread though-
What part of it was bull**** again? The federal, state, and local governments already had their shot to capture revenue with a variety of different taxes. Now, you say "that's not good enough" and want to take more of the "riches" money away. Of course "you" know the "best" way it "should be" spent. And somehow, you think that's reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM

3,754 posts, read 1,591,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
8 years of 0% interest rates, massive stimulus packages, 10 trillion dollars in deficit spending; We never reached 2% growth, the entire market turned into a game of "lets see what the fed does" no fundementals were being looked at at all. We used every government tool possible to stimulate growth and it didn't work. Without growth being at or near historic norms we will never beable to afford this level of government we have. Thankfully we now have an actual pro-growth government in place focused on things that will actually grow our economy like increasing productivity, getting government out of the way. Yes there will be a business cycle, malinvestment during the stronger years will have to be corrected but hopefully we never resort to these exotic government measures that don't work again.
Stop using this as an indirect way to make Trump's approach superior to Obama's approach. If growth is not happening fast enough for you, maybe we are in a period of economic adjustment. This period of adjustment that I speak of is that no one is willing to stop free trade. The wages paid by China, Vietnam, Malaysia, and others will always give them the advantage.

Right wing historical revisionists try to debunk Keynes all the time. Keynesian theory worked in the Depression, and it worked in 2008.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM

4,229 posts, read 1,903,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avram42 View Post
This whole statement is dripping with a sense of superiority.
It's dripping with an appreciation of why direct democracy and a dictatorship of the masses have been so long and deeply feared in the world. All men may be created equal, but all thoughts and ideas most definitely are not. If we are now not willing to separate the wheat from the chaff, things are apt to end in a very bad way for us.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM

190 posts, read 195,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
It's dripping with an appreciation of why direct democracy and a dictatorship of the masses have been so long and deeply feared in the world. All men may be created equal, but all thoughts and ideas most definitely are not. If we are now not willing to separate the wheat from the chaff, things are apt to end in a very bad way for us.
You lost me at all men created equal because I don't for a minute think you believe that.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM

3,754 posts, read 1,591,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Print enough money and any economy can look good.
Who are they giving this printed money to?
No one gave me any. Did they give some to you?

Authorizing expansion of the money supply is a function of the FED.

W actually gave me a few hundred dollars back in the early two thousands. I wonder how many millions he gave each billionaire. Don't know who created that money.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You lost me at all men created equal because I don't for a minute think you believe that.
You may not understand the meanings of the word "equal" in the respective contexts in which it was used.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You may not understand the meanings of the word "equal" in the respective contexts in which it was used.
Animal Farm?

Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM

729 posts, read 293,593 times
Some of these comments...

Money isn't given to the "rich" (for democrats, that's anyone who makes over $70,000 annually (the middle class) since those are the ones hit with all the taxes that they pass, while juggernauts like Zuckerburg skate around tax laws almost entirely. YOUR 1% are not paying their fair share!! And isn't it funny how many in the actual 1% are huge democrat donors, like Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Google, Elon Musk, etc...).

Money isn't given to the "rich". They EARN it by WORKING and CLIMBING the employment ladder. And they are just wiser about spending it (or some would say slow? Though those who make money don't make money by carelessly throwing it EVERYWHERE. How are you going to save up for a house if you have to have every new Iphone or whatever?). LOL at someone saying giving welfare spurs more economic growth. All these debts and deficits that some of these states have (like Illinois) begs to differ...it at least implies that the government dependence never ends, and in many cases it actually increases more and more. Folks, there's no bottomless pot of money.....

They're celebrating the success of relatively few businesses too, while any competition to said businesses is choked out by excess taxes and regulations.

Thank God Trump aims to slash both.

Last edited by Manimuni; 07-13-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Animal Farm?
Simple English, but I'll try to dumb it down...Dumb ideas need to be dumped.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Simple English, but I'll try to dumb it down...Dumb ideas need to be dumped.
When will the approved reading list be published?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics