Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM

35,006 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
True, so what can be done to keep speculators out of the market? Their goal is to cause panic and produce BS that cant stick to the toilet wall.. and yet people believe in it.
I don't know that 1/4 of U.S. refining capacity being offline in a hurricane is an action caused by speculators. What speculators help do is lubricate (pun intended) the market so that there are very few shortages outside of Texas and now Florida. Back in 1973-4 and May-July 1979 obtaining gas at any price was problematic since the price/speculation mechanism was disabled by government price controls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know that 1/4 of U.S. refining capacity being offline in a hurricane is an action caused by speculators. What speculators help do is lubricate (pun intended) the market so that there are very few shortages outside of Texas and now Florida. Back in 1973-4 and May-July 1979 obtaining gas at any price was problematic since the price/speculation mechanism was disabled by government price controls.
I was born in 80, so i started to drive in mid 90s. but i can remember prices were hovering around 50-80 cents for a very long time. Then war hit and boom prices started to go up and remain up. Then you get speculators telling people that the Saudis are going to cut production by 500k and later find out they produce about 500k more than predicted. They never been right, and yet we are letting them take control of the market? I mean look at what they did to the housing market.. but thats another soap box. What repercussion will happen if we just plain kick them out, and let the oil companies produce what the world demands. Put some limits that they can not stop producing to manipulate the prices..

Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I was born in 80, so i started to drive in mid 90s. but i can remember prices were hovering around 50-80 cents for a very long time. Then war hit and boom prices started to go up and remain up. Then you get speculators telling people that the Saudis are going to cut production by 500k and later find out they produce about 500k more than predicted. They never been right, and yet we are letting them take control of the market? I mean look at what they did to the housing market.. but thats another soap box. What repercussion will happen if we just plain kick them out, and let the oil companies produce what the world demands. Put some limits that they can not stop producing to manipulate the prices..
I don't know where you are but the rock bottom for prices was around $0.89 in 1986 and that was for leaded regular, and then $0.95 or so as 1998 turned into 1999 in the wake of financial crises in Russia and Indonesia. New Jersey had a few downward spikes to around $0.799 during 1998-9 but that's about as low as it got. Yes, a few announced but unimplemented production cuts have caused 20% of so prices increases, as did Katrina. But in the days before a functioning spot market, i.e. what you call speculators, price jumps and supply shortages were even more jarring. Fortunately you were born at the tail end of the last shortage that covered more than just a small area and long after gas lines sent people like myself (I got my license in November 1973) to the Hess station at 5:30 a.m. to await a 7:00 a.m. opening and about a 30 minute line. That line was far longer by the time the station opened.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know where you are but the rock bottom for prices was around $0.89 in 1986 and that was for leaded regular, and then $0.95 or so as 1998 turned into 1999 in the wake of financial crises in Russia and Indonesia. New Jersey had a few downward spikes to around $0.799 during 1998-9 but that's about as low as it got. Yes, a few announced but unimplemented production cuts have caused 20% of so prices increases, as did Katrina. But in the days before a functioning spot market, i.e. what you call speculators, price jumps and supply shortages were even more jarring. Fortunately you were born at the tail end of the last shortage that covered more than just a small area and long after gas lines sent people like myself (I got my license in November 1973) to the Hess station at 5:30 a.m. to await a 7:00 a.m. opening and about a 30 minute line. That line was far longer by the time the station opened.

I Guess they been getting their news from "Miss Cleo" back in the day.. look how her and her business turned out. hahaha.

You can have some form of conditions, but dont base your prices on lies and things that never produce. If your producing 500mb a day and have to cut 100mb due to over stock, that is understandable. I know storage is our choke point right now. But if we can store 600mb a day and your only producing half that to keep prices high, that's manipulation in the market and should be delt with. TO me the goal is to keep storage full, while keeping production at steady rate=prices remain steady. If a country wants to stop producing less because they want more money, and another country can pick up the slack with out much increase in price, doesnt qualify for a price jump. Just tell the country no go and we will pay what the agreement is, nothing more/or less. Stop letting other countries manipulate the market as well, ( looking at you saudia)(OPEC) how many horses do ya need.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I Guess they been getting their news from "Miss Cleo" back in the day.. look how her and her business turned out. hahaha.

You can have some form of conditions, but dont base your prices on lies and things that never produce. If your producing 500mb a day and have to cut 100mb due to over stock, that is understandable. I know storage is our choke point right now. But if we can store 600mb a day and your only producing half that to keep prices high, that's manipulation in the market and should be delt with. TO me the goal is to keep storage full, while keeping production at steady rate=prices remain steady. If a country wants to stop producing less because they want more money, and another country can pick up the slack with out much increase in price, doesnt qualify for a price jump. Just tell the country no go and we will pay what the agreement is, nothing more/or less. Stop letting other countries manipulate the market as well, ( looking at you saudia)(OPEC) how many horses do ya need.
We are not going to send in the troops over a press announcement. I think we should have done that with the original OPEC blackmail in October 1973. I think at that point we kow-towed by pressuring Israel to give up parts of the Golan gained in the 1973 War and starting the pressure on Israel that led to the surrender of the Sinai (though so far that's worked out OK) and the Camp David Accords.

That ship has sailed.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:33 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Jbgusa, your recollections are very accurate and match mine. Reading it was a nice trip down memory lane. I remember the 1973-74 gas lines though I was not driving at the time. I was driving during the 1979 gas lines.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Jbgusa, your recollections are very accurate and match mine. Reading it was a nice trip down memory lane. I remember the 1973-74 gas lines though I was not driving at the time. I was driving during the 1979 gas lines.
Thanks. I have a pretty bad memory but do remember that. I also think that if we didn't have price controls both the 1973-4 and 1979 disruptions would have been similar to what we just experienced with the hurricanes, with a price jump, then stability, then the prices melting downward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics