Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
First, I save a lot more that that and I am retired. When I was working in the Bay area, I saved $8,000 /mo and lived in a very nice home.

The amount you save is nothing to be proud of for somebody that lives at home and doesn't pay any rent.

You keep saying you can't buy a house because you only make $60k. As I said do something to make yourself more valuable so you earn more money. It has nothing to do with saving money.
Maybe that's from all the real estate you owned.

Do you suggest I wave a magic wand to make more money appear? I'm not the fed. Might as well tell me to wait until I inherit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The US median household income today if $53,482.
Data were from 2011 and were chosen so as to keep the 1955 and latter-day methods the same. And of course, $53,482 is more than $40,000. And let's face it -- real, actual numbers wouldn't always matter around here in any case.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post

Do you suggest I wave a magic wand to make more money appear? I'm not the fed. Might as well tell me to wait until I inherit.
The houses I owned had nothing to do with it. My income was high enough to afford buying a house.

You increase your ability to earn more money by learning skills that will pay you more. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I earned it. I went back to school at UCSD to acquire a professional certificate. I went at night for 6 years while working 50 hours a week and supporting a family.

You want everything handed to you with no work on your part. You always have an excuse for not doing anything to improve your life. You just whine and complain hoping for a housing crash that in all likelyhood isn't going to happen in the Bay area.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Even if I continue to invest 3k+ a month for the rest of my life and houses rise 5% a year I will never catch up with the cost of a house. Does that seem sustainable to you? I'd say 5% max of the population can afford to save that much.
Can't believe you are still bitching about not being able to afford a house in one of the highest priced areas in the world. You may not ever be able to afford one, but if you keep investing $3k/mo you will be rich by any measure before long.

Count your blessings.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:

You seem to want to wave a magic wand in reverse and knock down the price of real estate and make the owners take less.

Also, life is competition. If you cant get the high paying jobs in a big city with a sought after area, then why do you think you should be able to live there? Move away and do your run of the mill work elsewhere and live better. Big cities are nationwide or world wide talent. If you aren't good enough to compete, then take a step down to a mid sized or small city.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Too bad I'll be dead by summer/winter. No thanks. Rather live in poverty than die in some gaudy Midwestern McMansion.
Caviar taste on a McDonalds budget.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Top 5-10% of millennial net worth is more caviar than McDonald's.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

That is an apt description of the housing choices forced on lower-income people by protectionists who like to over-regulate housing. They deny consumers the option of living in McDonalds housing and tell them to move if they can't afford caviar housing.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You seem to want to wave a magic wand in reverse and knock down the price of real estate and make the owners take less.

Also, life is competition. If you cant get the high paying jobs in a big city with a sought after area, then why do you think you should be able to live there? Move away and do your run of the mill work elsewhere and live better. Big cities are nationwide or world wide talent. If you aren't good enough to compete, then take a step down to a mid sized or small city.

I want to see less regulation of housing and land use, which should lead to increased housing supply, which should knock down the price of real estate and make the owners COMPETE.

Homeowners are like a cartel, using government (through zoning) to restrict supply and competition in order to line their own pockets.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I want to see less regulation of housing and land use, which should lead to increased housing supply, which should knock down the price of real estate and make the owners COMPETE.

Homeowners are like a cartel, using government (through zoning) to restrict supply and competition in order to line their own pockets.
deregulate landlords? I have a $10k/month shack that only leaks during storms for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics