Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The data show otherwise.

The US is still about 70% white, so the low net worth of a growing Hispanic population is not going to skew the numbers that much. And I'd like to why you believe this should be divided on ethnic or racial lines in the first place?

It's not so much a racial or ethnic wealth gap as it is a homeowner/renter wealth gap. While the ratio fluctuates over time, median homeowner net worth in this country is usually in the neighborhood of 30x median renter net worth. It is largely racial and ethnic disparities in home ownership that account for the racial and ethnic differences in wealth. (Note that racial/ethnic wealth gaps are in the neighborhood of 15x, while homeowner/renter wealth gap is 30x or greater.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 05:44 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Houston is a city that has long been known for being largely free of government zoning as the rest of us know it.
Ah, Houston -- the darling of the corporate-funded hard right-wing. But while the city famously lacks anything they choose to call zoning laws, it has plenty of decentralized codes and ordinances that while shying away from out-and-out land-use restrictions still do very much the same sorts of things that actual zoning does. What Houston enjoys then are nearly all of the burdens and restrictions of zoning without any of the benefits that would have accrued from a top-down comprehensive plan for the oversight and direction of progress and development in the region. This is part of the reason why Houston has become a crude hodge-podge that routinely appears near the top of lists of worst-designed US cities.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:47 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
It's not so much a racial or ethnic wealth gap as it is a homeowner/renter wealth gap.
Cart before the horse. Sort of like whining instead of moving.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
It's not so much a racial or ethnic wealth gap as it is a homeowner/renter wealth gap. While the ratio fluctuates over time, median homeowner net worth in this country is usually in the neighborhood of 30x median renter net worth. It is largely racial and ethnic disparities in home ownership that account for the racial and ethnic differences in wealth. (Note that racial/ethnic wealth gaps are in the neighborhood of 15x, while homeowner/renter wealth gap is 30x or greater.)
Stop the presses. You're telling me those who rent and have no chance to ever acquire equity (until they stop renting), has less wealth than people who own? Wow.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
It's not so much a racial or ethnic wealth gap as it is a homeowner/renter wealth gap.
It's more like the only equity a typical person has is home equity.

When I made less than $20k/yr I still saved ~$5k/yr and bought a house. Nice neighborhood. Great climate. Low crime.

Move! You can do it if you want to.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
The data show otherwise.

The US is still about 70% white, so the low net worth of a growing Hispanic population is not going to skew the numbers that much. And I'd like to why you believe this should be divided on ethnic or racial lines in the first place?
Sorry bro time for me to blow you out of the water, I got a Pew Research report from 3 years ago that totally shows otherwise.

They have whites at median net worth of 141k in 2013 in the U.S. Home ownership is the main thing that effects these numbers. They don't have a 100k in the bank...their net worth is mostly their house. The home ownership paywall is the biggest problem in the U.S. Either way the graph that dude originally posted is pure bunk and not from a reputable source. The US is not #27 in anything.

Wealth inequality has widened along racial, ethnic lines since end of Great Recession | Pew Research Center

That's not me saying that, that's the statistics saying that.

Follow up article on yahoo regarding the report :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/median-we...163001058.html

Last edited by wanderlust76; 08-08-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Sorry bro time for me to blow you out of the water, I got a Pew Research report from 3 years ago that totally shows otherwise.
Shows *what* otherwise?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
It's more like the only equity a typical person has is home equity.

When I made less than $20k/yr I still saved ~$5k/yr and bought a house. Nice neighborhood. Great climate. Low crime.

Move! You can do it if you want to.
In 1960 20k basically made you fabulously wealthy.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
In 1960 20k basically made you fabulously wealthy.
I'm talking about recent times. The house was purchased in 2012.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I agree with Buffet. However, the benefits of economic growth will not be equally shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics