U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,385 posts, read 6,798,249 times
Reputation: 14453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
You seem to be claiming that backwater areas should not be cited for their usage of public resources on the grounds that they are after all backwaters.
Whether the area is a "backwater", or a blighted area of a larger city or state, the problem is essentially the same: a large portion of that community unmotivated and sinking into the trap of drugs, petty crime, and public-sector dependency. And the public sector has no motivation to address the root causes; but only to seek a bigger staff and budget to address a bigger "problem".

Control needs to be returned to the lowest possible level; when the relative handful of the most abusive are identified and well-known (Yes, SJWs, we know you'll scream "Racism!", " Xenophobia!" or whatever buzzword is handy), that handful of dead weight can then be address by the criminal justice system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Faith-based currency. Just pieces of paper not backed by anything.
Important Notice: Like every other modern currency, the US dollar is backed by the output of real goods and services produced by the issuing economy. As the US produces about 22% of everything produced anywhere in the world and participates deeply in international trade, it's currency is the world's bellwether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 06:06 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Ethics, morals, scruples. They become empty promises as the tin can of debt keeps getting kicked down the road.
The reality of the world teaches us that there is no call or reason to pay off the national debt. The last time we did it was in 1836, and there was no reason to have done it then except in fulfillment of a national pledge to ourselves eventually to repay every penny of what had been borrowed to finance our War of Independence. As you might know, we were as a country literally born of parents named debt and treason.

In any case, the US has no plans to do anything more than service the debt going forward, and neither does any other significant national economy that is carrying debt, that being virtually all of them. There are those of course who still try to apply household rules to national governments, but such a practice is in fact quite a silly one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
A documentary mentioned that Benjamin Franklin suggested that during the writing of the Constitution, they start each morning with a prayer. This suggestion was defeated.
It was Franklin's intent and expectation that it be defeated, and indeed only three or four delegates actually supported it. The proposal had been made pro forma -- as there were no funds available to retain a clergyman in any case -- in an attempt to embarrass and destabilize certain regional and religious undertones that in Franklin's view had been causing mounting disruption in the work of the convention.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-11-2017 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 06:47 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Whether the area is a "backwater", or a blighted area of a larger city or state, the problem is essentially the same: a large portion of that community unmotivated and sinking into the trap of drugs, petty crime, and public-sector dependency.
That's a quite a lot of meaningless fluff and puffery. Meanwhile, the deflective evasiveness of your claims above remain as their own indictment. I am reminded in your sad excuses for backwater behavior of Lincoln's definition of a hypocrite as the man who murdered his parents and then pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And the public sector has no motivation to address the root causes; but only to seek a bigger staff and budget to address a bigger "problem".
Your understandings of the "public sector" are deeply flawed, having apparently been built from nothing more than the worst sports of sociophobic, America-hating propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Control needs to be returned to the lowest possible level; when the relative handful of the most abusive are identified and well-known (Yes, SJWs, we know you'll scream "Racism!", " Xenophobia!" or whatever buzzword is handy), that handful of dead weight can then be address by the criminal justice system.
Nothing fuels corruption and bigotry quite so well as local majorities.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-11-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,385 posts, read 6,798,249 times
Reputation: 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Your understand; dings of the "public sector" are deeply flawed, having apparently been built from nothing more than the worst sports of sociophobic, America-hating propaganda.
By now, you surely have seen enough of my posts to recognize that my personal beliefs are essentially libertarian, and have been deveolped over forty years; you're not dealing with a Trumpster who got on the bandwagon two years ago.

Your short-and-simplistic answers, however, fit (and perfectly!) the drive-by pattern.

Quote:
Nothing fuels corruption and bigotry quite so well as local majorities.
So in other words, local provincialism and cronyism are OK with you, provided it's confined to an enclave within a blue state, but not when the not-so-cuddly locals are people of whom the Absolutely Politically Correct don't approve.

Stereotype much? Double-standard much?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-11-2017 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,908,443 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
By now, you surely have seen enough of my posts to recognize that my personal beliefs are essentially libertarian, and have been developed over forty years; you're not dealing with a Trumpster who got on the bandwagon two years ago.
The two groups you posit have been about equally bamboozled. Two years or two times twenty, the degree of shortfall against reality does not seem to vary much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Your short-and-simplistic answers, however, fit (and perfectly!) the drive-by pattern.
I'm sorry, but your posting And the public sector has no motivation to address the root causes; but only to seek a bigger staff and budget to address a bigger "problem" is too trivial to merit any more of a response than the one it got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So in other words, local provincialism and cronyism are OK with you, provided it's confined to an enclave within a blue state, but not when the not-so-cuddly locals are people of whom the Absolutely Politically Correct don't approve.
No, you made that part up. What I said is that nothing fuels corruption and bigotry quite so well as local majorities. That you automatically connect such corruption and bigotry to red state local majorities is a problem that you will have to sort out for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM
 
24,738 posts, read 26,810,935 times
Reputation: 22732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I'm sorry, but your posting And the public sector has no motivation to address the root causes; but only to seek a bigger staff and budget to address a bigger "problem" is too trivial to merit any more of a response than the one it got.
I work in the public sector. From my little corner of the world, it's true. Too much job security breeds complacency. I admit I'm guilty of it myself--although I try to guard against it. Other people don't even try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
2,765 posts, read 1,216,199 times
Reputation: 5091
My goodness Pub-911, I don't believe ever agreed with you so much on these items. You're crushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 AM
 
24,738 posts, read 26,810,935 times
Reputation: 22732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Some of it is somewhat symbolic. US still has freedom of religion (although I'll acknowledge that unfortunately, only Christians, or at least those pretending that they are, are the only ones who can win the presidency). A documentary mentioned that Benjamin Franklin suggested that during the writing of the Constitution, they start each morning with a prayer. This suggestion was defeated.


Even though from a fictional movie, it still gave me a laugh when they were trying to prove man is indeed NOT Santa Claus, when a little girl hands the judge a 1 dollar bill. The "in god we trust" printed on the money got him to throw out the case since that itself wasn't taken at face value, so who were they trying to prove with this court case?
There's a lot I could say on the topic, but I don't want to derail the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top