Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,305,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Not sure if you guys seen it but Walmart has been target with many lawsuits....selling meat with ammonia, labor laws infringement, faulty items etc etc...We live in a capitalistic for profit society, where sell more at lower price is the mantra...what a bout quality...and how to balance that?
Government laws and regulations:

SurvivingEarth, within governments' jurisdictions are health, safety, civil law, criminal law, and many other laws and regulations that are referred to within the preamble of the United States’ constitution as “to promote the general welfare”.
Criticism of “Too much regulation” is meaningless until you specifically identify the specific classifications or individual regulations you wish to eliminate or modify and explicitly describe your reasoning, including that of any modifications or replacements you’re advocating.

To extent that government should fail properly enforcing standards of weights, measures, purity of contents or other attributes of products or services, the least honest providers of the poorest quality products are at greater advantage.

All government’s existing or proposed activities, laws, and regulations, and all governments lack of such, should for each of them be judged upon their individual merits or lack of merits.

The concept that government activity or regulations are ALWAYS inferior, and freedom with absolutely no protection for the less wealthy, or less strong, or minority opinions will ALWAYS be to the net best interests of our aggregate society, is incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 AM

206 posts, read 154,284 times
Quality cost money. Some companies want to keep that money.

I was working as an "engineer" (that is, because if there was any actual engineering issues they were handled by the customer service guy and parts ordering guy who had high school educations..."oh maybe if we do it like this and not like that!!").

I came in being told by the manufacturing manager that they had tons of problems, to the point that customers were getting hurt by their products. In one particular case, the son of the companies owner was talking to me about how we should design something. He was arbitrarily going about what should be done, guessing the amount of spot welds to support the load. I told him "we can run a simulation to find out the minimum amount of load before failure, as well as a fatigue analysis to find out how many cycles it could survive". He just said "but we'll have to pay you for those hours".

I was shocked. Wide eye shocked. I started planning my way out ASAP. I do not want my name associated with shoddy products.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Not sure if you guys seen it but Walmart has been target with many lawsuits....selling meat with ammonia, labor laws infringement, faulty items etc etc...We live in a capitalistic for profit society, where sell more at lower price is the mantra...what a bout quality...and how to balance that?
Simple. You calculate profits made against possible losses from returns and litigations. If you sell 100,000,000 dollars of product and pay out 5 million in losses you still make 95 million.

Car companies do this all the time. Say they have a recall. They calculate losses from the voluntary recall vs costs of not recalling.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,444,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Toyota and Honda mass produce the highest quality cars in the world. They are better at it than other manufacturers. They've mastered the production process. There is no conflict between mass production and high quality. It just takes people who know what they're doing.
Toyota may have created Six Sigma but they haven't been following it lately. They actually identified that quality has been lacking starting in 2003. "Zero mistakes" eventually became "few mistakes tolerated" as complacency set in.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:20 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
toyota and nissan were building trouble free cars that lasted forever . those early maxima's were insane.

but then jd powers called it correct.

they said if they keep up this pace of flawless cars they will hurt themselves. less service ,fewer parts sold , and fewer cars needed would destroy them eventually

little by little we saw them go from great to just very good after that point .

Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Toyota and Honda mass produce the highest quality cars in the world. They are better at it than other manufacturers. They've mastered the production process. There is no conflict between mass production and high quality. It just takes people who know what they're doing.
Wrong. Latest quality surveys to find which cars have the lease problems, they both are quite a ways down the list of quality cars. Toyota just barely beats the average of all cars and just by hair, and Honda is quite a bit below that.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs

Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
they cut back quality by design many years ago . the Japanese cars were so reliable and trouble free they were going to put themselves out of business .

i never used to see the inside of a dealership because none of my cars had problems for years on end .

jd powers warned them about making cars last so long and predicted we would see a shift to more " normal " longevity of parts and systems . jd powers was correct and we did .

Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. Latest quality surveys to find which cars have the lease problems, they both are quite a ways down the list of quality cars. Toyota just barely beats the average of all cars and just by hair, and Honda is quite a bit below that.
Next time I'm looking for a car that rates well over 90 days, I'll be sure to check out those data. Usually though, I'm more focused on finding a vehicle that will rate well over many thousands of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics