Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:28 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They may sell the same brands, but they're not always selling the same products - even though the label is the same and the product looks the same.

Do you have an example? I have never seen this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
How funny, I thought using the example of the exact same brand of eggs would be a good thing to compare. I'll just add that the Walmart ones were significantly fresher when I cracked and cooked them as well.

Maybe the Walmarts in your area just aren't as good as ours? Ours also sells produce from local farmers.

How about Oscar Mayer bacon, to go along with the eggs? Most times the Walmart price is 30-50% less than other stores, never the same, never higher. How am I wrong on that buy? And coffee? $7-8 for name brand basic coffee vs $13-14 for the same thing at the store across the street? I'm too frugal, I just can't do it unless I'm in a bind.

I don't buy much other meat there, we like going to a local butcher shop.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Last I checked Walmart does not produce anything it sells. Mass production does not apply to Walmart's business plan. It only applies to companies that are doing business with or trying to do business with Walmart. Walmart has one of the best quality control departments in the nation. They can come into a place like Proctor & Gamble and request specific changes to the product. In fact the Walmart P&G products are a little different than other places. Paper towel products have a different size and the pattern on the paper and the artwork is even different. Quality control can tell a company to make changes or not accept the product.

So many companies want to have their products on Walmart shelves that they do anything to meet the needs that Walmart has set. There is a reason they are the biggest in the business.

Quality and Mass production work well together. When you refine what you are building and then put it on the production line you end up with a quality product. Look at Toyota or many other companies. In addition when a company makes a major blunder it effects them as well, yes, still look at Toyota. Car companies have recalls because they want to take care of a problem that will keep the consumer from buying the cars. Not saying that the cars are perfect but they are acceptable when it comes to what the consumer wants.

It is not always perfect to build a perfect car. Chances are mass production goes away when that happens and in time the car becomes more of a one off or limited production item, look to Rolls Royce for that. At one time they had the perfect engine, balanced, just amazing. The cars were hand made though making them difficult to fix and at times costly to repair. Not the best way to build a major brand, although exclusivity has its place in the world as well. Then again Rolls Royce had to be rescued by BMW to survive.
You are right but they are so strong that they affect production of many of the products it sells.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walmart_brands

Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

I don't buy much other meat there, we like going to a local butcher shop.
I used to feel the same way until I bought an expensive chicken at the local butcher shop and it was spoiled when I removed the wrapper the next day. Especially when I travel, I try to shop only at Walmart. The meats are always good and fresh. I never know what I will get elsewhere.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Good and fresh you could get at a third-world open-air market. Things tend to improve as you move further up the food chain.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 AM

I am not sure about good and fresh at open air markets. What happens to the meats and other highly perishable items that do not sell immediately? I don't trust many of the first world markets. The last major market I visited was in Baltimore. There were literally thousands of fish and chickens for sale and I visited at the end of the day just before the market closed. I wonder if all of those were stored properly and kept separate and sold before the new items. I suspect not. The stench of rotten meat at the back of the market was truly overpowering.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Baltimore's Lexington Market first opened in 1782. You may be assured that health and safety standards have improved a great deal since then. The market and its vendors are certainly more concerned with and invested in the public good than WalMart ever has been. What meanwhile happens at the market to unsold product at the end of the day is the same thing that happens at your favorite upscale restaurant.

Meanwhile, millions of people all over the world do indeed enjoy good, fresh food from their local open air markets. Cultural snobbishness won't change that.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-12-2017 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
in terms of clothing, furniture, etc. I try and buy fewer things of higher quality. Things I love, not just like, that will last a while. It's not fool proof but it helps. For foods, I just stopped buying meat of any kind for home consumption about 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Only so much is in our reasonable control.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Do you have an example? I have never seen this.
You see it the day after Thanksgiving at all major retailers. Their Black Friday sales specialize in consumer items with reduced capabilities. TV sets with fewer inputs and less RAM are big sellers.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM

So it's actually just tech stores that hold Black Friday sales, and they do it just as a way to dispose of outdated inventory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics