Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And of course your pontification has no detail of where people are wrong and just decrees it so. Just another day of wafting your farts to your nose.
What detail would you include?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
What detail would you include?
What detail would I include to refute my own writing? Uhhhh. I wouldn't.

That would be up to the arrogant and bombastic person that essentially refutes everything with a trumplike"wrong. You're wrong"

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
Quote:
Yellon hinting that it's time to wind down fiscal policy, and get debt growing more in line with GDP growth is not the same as her admitting that the sky is falling and we need a depression to purge the system. If it was true, I doubt a fed chairman would be so blunt as to say that in congress because it's not their place to dictate fiscal policy.

Debt levels can rise forever if debt increase is kept in line with GDP growth more or less.
Interesting analysis on the relationship between debt and GDP.
I guess that it would be foolish to lower taxes on the wealthy within congressional or Trump plans.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Interesting analysis on the relationship between debt and GDP.
I guess that it would be foolish to lower taxes on the wealthy within congressional or Trump plans.
It's simple. As long as you grow your income, past debts are easier to pay. A classic example is the huge debt to GDP ratio after ww2 or a student borrowing for college.

Which is why I think it's funny when people say you should spend 6 or 7 years in school to pay for it as you go. Those people of course, ignore the opportunity cost of forgoing wages for an extra 2 or 3 years and do not seem to understand that it's easier to pay off 30k of school debt than it is to work a low wage job and ensure you don't have too much debt. Why pay for something at 8 dollars an hour, when I can pay for it with 30 dollars an hour?

People simply don't understand debt. It's a tool that can be used for good....or for bad. The popularity of that Dave Ramsey guy is a prime example. Someone who avoids debt early in life will end off far worse off then someone who intelligently used leverage. His advice is terrible to pay cash for everything. TERRIBLE. And if you have any doubt, why don't Fortune 500 companies pay for everything in cash? Because leverage, used properly, will enrich you many times more.

Government debt functions much differently from household debt, but The United States should have used the money it borrowed during the Great Recession to provide a world class infrastructure to generate massive returns. Instead our useless congress...did god knows what.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 07-13-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
What detail would I include to refute my own writing? Uhhhh. I wouldn't.

That would be up to the arrogant and bombastic person that essentially refutes everything with a trumplike"wrong. You're wrong"
OK. I will phrase it differently then. How is the so-called 'arrrogant and bombastic person' wrong in this case? What is he wrong about? That tax cuts for the rich aren't needed? Please explain.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
OK. I will phrase it differently then. How is the so-called 'arrrogant and bombastic person' wrong in this case? What is he wrong about? That tax cuts for the rich aren't needed? Please explain.
To be honest, there isn't actually a way to respond back and argue against them because nothing of substance is provided. I can't really do what you're asking with them as much as I would like to on s discussion board.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,270 times
The substance lies in what Yellen actually said and in the Fed's actual steps to halt further stimulus at the end of last year.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,587,954 times
This Economics forum thread is closed - proselytizing and personal sniping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics