U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Taxes may be assessed on a corporation, but the corporation bears zero economic impact of a tax.
I see this argument often. Of course consumers pay the ultimate burden of the taxes in the higher prices. However, if a company was in an NOL position for income taxes, it's not like they would charge less. A lower tax rate is just going to go (mostly) to their margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I see this argument often. Of course consumers pay the ultimate burden of the taxes in the higher prices.
Actually, the economic burden of the tax is bourne by three groups: 1) Consumers, through higher prices, 2) Employees, through reduced wages/saarly/benefits, and 3) Owners, through reduced returns.

Quote:
However, if a company was in an NOL position for income taxes, it's not like they would charge less. A lower tax rate is just going to go (mostly) to their margins.
Like how when oil prices went from $100 to under $50/barrel, gas prices stayed at the previous high levels?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Actually, the economic burden of the tax is bourne by three groups: 1) Consumers, through higher prices, 2) Employees, through reduced wages/saarly/benefits, and 3) Owners, through reduced returns.

Like how when oil prices went from $100 to under $50/barrel, gas prices stayed at the previous high levels?

I mean, I realize all 3 of those things. I work in corporate tax for a fortune 100 company.

In the longteem, sure the prices would adjust. Ultimately, the reason my job is so highly valued is because of high taxes. But those same gas stations jack up prices quick and are slow as molasses to bring them down. In the short run, they just take it to their margins.

But the taxes won't be going away so I'm not sure what we're discussing.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:27 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,904,197 times
Quote:
No, he or she knows everything. That's the "specialty". He or she claims to have been an economic advisor under numerous presidential administrations.
Roughly 1978 to 1993 -- Carter, Reagan, Bush-41, and a little bit of Clinton. After that, I was asked to go help the IMF in developing implementations of the then recently revised System of National Accounts.

Quote:
Also, known to have walked on (and probably inside?) the moon. We also have reason to beleive that he or she can tie one hand behind his or her back with one hand tied behind his or her back.
This sort of irrational slop is worthy of being reported. Be thankful that I was not around to see it in real time. Do not expect that such luck will continue.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM

17,613 posts, read 12,197,156 times
why would you post a threat about potentially reporting a post? either report it or don't

Old 08-17-2017, 01:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,207,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Roughly 1978 to 1993 -- Carter, Reagan, Bush-41, and a little bit of Clinton. After that, I was asked to go help the IMF in developing implementations of the then recently revised System of National Accounts.
Ahh, so you're one of the enlightened souls that brought us supply side trickle down leveraging. Freed from the tying the dollar to anything of value....the country was free to be leveraged to the hilt. The well connected could obtain loans, the added leverage inflating the prices of everything. Pensions raided, leveraged buyouts. Some growth for sure, but inflating the entire game....setting the stage to require the gigantic outsourcing of US manufacturing to come and the S&L crash. Globalization bailed some us out, and the new markets were able to be leveraged in order to afford something. Still, the country that once had a trade surplus and current account surplus had its fortunes reversed with deficits so monumental that no lucid being could dream of evening things at this point. The Gianni Coefficient grew to the size of third world standards...

I mean, it's so grand....go on, tell another one. The poor are target of a regressive tax system? Because of sales taxes and FICA taxes? No, the poor are poor because the cost of labor was inflated making it impossible for them to continue in their occupations. There was nothing put into place to retrain them into a more productive occupation and a huge swath of the general population was marginalized. When fewer people work at an occupation with a living wage, fewer people pay taxes.

Looking back, what do you see regarding the purchasing power growth of the lower income groups you seem to defend here. Did you serve them well, or did you sell them out?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 5,287,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So we all pay our taxes through a W2.. State and federal takes their part out of your check.. So why are we still having to pay more than what has been taken out the whole year?<>
You keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.
"Double dipping" is taxing you on money you have already paid taxes on. Example? Charging sales tax on money you spend when that money has been subject to income tax.
Double dipping is charging you gasoline tax when the corporation that provides the gasoline has already paid corporate income tax in its profits that is of course, passed on to the consumer who then buys the gas with already taxed dollars. (how many dips is THAT?)
Double dipping is taxing your estate to drain off what you spent a lifetime saving to pass on to your kids and taking a share of your estate, just because the government can.
What you are complaining about is just balancing the book at the end of the tax year. If you have to pay you did not have enough taken out. If you get money back then you paid too much and loaned the government operating cash for no interest.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:31 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.
"Double dipping" is taxing you on money you have already paid taxes on. Example? Charging sales tax on money you spend when that money has been subject to income tax.
Double dipping is charging you gasoline tax when the corporation that provides the gasoline has already paid corporate income tax in its profits that is of course, passed on to the consumer who then buys the gas with already taxed dollars. (how many dips is THAT?)
Double dipping is taxing your estate to drain off what you spent a lifetime saving to pass on to your kids and taking a share of your estate, just because the government can.
What you are complaining about is just balancing the book at the end of the tax year. If you have to pay you did not have enough taken out. If you get money back then you paid too much and loaned the government operating cash for no interest.
Good example on how gas stations does work.. and thanks.. so the main question is how can we stop this BS. even tho we got to get around town and work.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM

293 posts, read 155,031 times
OP, you qualify to be the next president. You create one absurd thread after another in multiple forums and clearly have no idea about pretty much how anything works but you generate a lot of discussions. Amusing at the minimum.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
OP, you qualify to be the next president. You create one absurd thread after another in multiple forums and clearly have no idea about pretty much how anything works but you generate a lot of discussions. Amusing at the minimum.
Its call thinking out side of the box and looking in to see why we do what we do with the reasoning behind it.. Thanks for checking out my profile.. seems to be the normal thing to do on this board.. Lets click on his name and see all the BS post this "OP" has done and make our self look smart.

But reading a few threads in, seems the topic is debatable to few. Keeping it clean and with great reading links i enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics