U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 AM

244 posts, read 125,899 times

Advertisements

Real estate prices have rebounded. I don't see a reason they need to crash. If they keep going up at this rate then eventually they will need to come back down but we may see a stabilizing of prices (a slower upward trend rather than a sharp upward trend). 2012 was basically the end of the low point so prices going back up this way is not reason for alarm yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 AM

6,515 posts, read 4,152,670 times
I see home prices taking a dip and holding. As others have pointed out home prices are rising and wages are stagnant. I am making my move now where my property is grossly over valued and downsizing, you get sick of mowing 2 plus acres. As of now I can walk away with a good chunk of money and pay cash or close to it for a smaller place. No matter what I do not see my property falling below 84,000 which I think is really the fair market value.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I heard that auto sales are starting accelerate downwards. This preceded both the Great Depression and the 2007 Financial Crisis. Real estate prices over the past 5 or so years have shot up again while incomes have been stagnant, which basically means a crash in real estate prices is inevitable. Anyone think we're soon going to see a chain reaction that crashes our phony economy?
would you care to tell us where you heard this and how far down are sales? Was it for months or just say, the month of June. Retail sales regardless of what is being sold fluctuate. I think you are letting your imagination run away with you.. There is no sign of slowing down at all. Jobs are available for anyone who wants to work, the stock market is steady and people have a few $$s to spend. Will things level off? Probably. You may even see a drop in the market temporarity. As for property, it seem just the opposite, it was not even started to peek in many regions.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,025,004 times
Slow down, sure, flatten, yup, go a little negative then start taking the slow boat inching its way up, probably, but crash and burn, I don't see that happening yet. The situation we are in today is different than the Great Recession situation.

You need mass layoffs across the nation to happen and I don't see that happening yet.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:21 PM

723 posts, read 399,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
.....Anyone think we're soon going to see a chain reaction that crashes our phony economy?
We are going into the Dark Age again. We are a nation of debt slaves. We cannot afford to keep afloat this phony economy supported with debt any longer. Most Americans have more credit card debt than savings. We are BROKE as a nation.

In the 1960's we had wage inflation and no debt. Beginning in the 1980's we have had no wage inflation but debt inflation. Our overlords decided it was better to make the worker debt slaves than to raise their wages, which the Overlords themselves would have to pay. This way they just lower interest rates and make it easier for us to become deeper in debt.

We have a bloated military, a bloated health care system, a bloated university system, a blasted economy: debt is BLOAT. BLOAT is what a carcase does. We need to be re-born; and that is going to mean letting go of the knee-jerk conservatism of the petrified vision (FEAR OF LOSING WHAT IS MINE). We need to start over with no debt (little debt -about 130% of GDP, instead of 370%) - how do we get there. We should have raised interest rates beginning in 2001. We did not. Instead of choosing to limit debt we chose to massively increase debt.
1983-2001: lower interest rates, FILL UP, engineer growth.
2001-PRESENT: raise interest rates, EMPTY OUT, survive non-growth, lower prices, prepare for the next growth cycle. We did not do this. We have MUCH more debt today than we did in 2001. In our attempt to TRICK NATURE we tricked ourselves. Now the world is frozen in debt slavery.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 PM

9,274 posts, read 4,736,816 times
It's going to be tomorrow. Fortune teller here.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,905,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
You need mass layoffs across the nation to happen and I don't see that happening yet.
What might cause a thing like that to happen? What caused it last time?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,016,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
We are going into the Dark Age again. We are a nation of debt slaves. We cannot afford to keep afloat this phony economy supported with debt any longer. Most Americans have more credit card debt than savings. We are BROKE as a nation.

In the 1960's we had wage inflation and no debt. Beginning in the 1980's we have had no wage inflation but debt inflation. Our overlords decided it was better to make the worker debt slaves than to raise their wages, which the Overlords themselves would have to pay. This way they just lower interest rates and make it easier for us to become deeper in debt.

We have a bloated military, a bloated health care system, a bloated university system, a blasted economy: debt is BLOAT. BLOAT is what a carcase does. We need to be re-born; and that is going to mean letting go of the knee-jerk conservatism of the petrified vision (FEAR OF LOSING WHAT IS MINE). We need to start over with no debt (little debt -about 130% of GDP, instead of 370%) - how do we get there. We should have raised interest rates beginning in 2001. We did not. Instead of choosing to limit debt we chose to massively increase debt.
1983-2001: lower interest rates, FILL UP, engineer growth.
2001-PRESENT: raise interest rates, EMPTY OUT, survive non-growth, lower prices, prepare for the next growth cycle. We did not do this. We have MUCH more debt today than we did in 2001. In our attempt to TRICK NATURE we tricked ourselves. Now the world is frozen in debt slavery.
You do understand that's on purpose, right?

That's the way "they" want it. That's why it's the way it is.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 PM

723 posts, read 399,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
You do understand that's on purpose, right?

That's the way "they" want it. That's why it's the way it is.
Who are they? Do you mean our Overlords? Is this the end of our democracy; is it the beginning of the American Oligarchy or Plutocracy? Is this where we become a medieval country of landowners and serfs (debt slaves)? This has happened before; Roman history is one of the most recent examples of this end-pyre of the republic as an idea.

We have lost our democracy. The nation is becoming an armed police state. Racial conflict is growing. The government is trying to sell us on another war, this time using a picture from 1950 to vilify Russia as a communist threat to America. Please have our government wake up. Russia is no longer communist; neither is China.

We are at the end of the world. The world we knew ended in 2001 (the Nasdaq stock bubble, followed by the attack on the World Trade Center, symbol of the global economy). The Fed should have begun raising interest rates in 2001, slowly, steadily. And rates should have continued to rise for many years. We like to think it will be different this time. But it is NEVER different this time.

Fed's policies will fail; they are not attacking the debt; the debt is the problem.The Fed is keeping interest rates low and encouraging MORE debt. Spending more money to protect bad debts and levitate asset prices is the absolute wrong thing to do, although it seems to soften the blow; it seems more humane. However, governmental attempts to protect people from their own financial mistakes (both as creditors and debtors) is not a legitimate role for government. Government should not seduce people to borrow money to spur economic growth; and it should not attempt to protect them from the inevitable destructive sides of this seduction.

We are heading for a nuclear winter of debt destruction. The Fed is stalling. They are feeding the beast hoping that global economic growth will magically reappear. But, there can be no real economic growth until the world's debt is destroyed!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,905,340 times
All the sense and organization of a bumper-cars session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or