U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM

244 posts, read 125,807 times

Advertisements

Thought it was strange that the original poster never made it back to discuss anything in their first post. Turns out it is a pattern repeated often. So what I learned from this thread was how to add someone to the ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Recession is likely by the end of the year. Growth is still anemic and the jobs numbers are still fake, despite Trump's adulations. Consumer spending is down due to stretched and declining incomes NOT e-commerce. What is there to buy these days anyway? Nothing innovative has come out this year that makes consumers want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
We have lost our democracy. The nation is becoming an armed police state. Racial conflict is growing. The government is trying to sell us on another war, this time using a picture from 1950 to vilify Russia as a communist threat to America. Please have our government wake up. Russia is no longer communist; neither is China.
These may be no longer Communist countries, but they are still Totalitarian countries since they aren't shining examples of Enlightenment principles. You got distracted on the economic model instead of looking at the political model.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 AM

5,122 posts, read 5,965,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
What might cause a thing like that to happen? What caused it last time?

People figured out they didn't have the money they thought they did, because the banks figured out they couldn't lend anymore, because they wern't getting the payments from the people that thought they had money.......and on and on. A cascading fail ensued.

Another isn't far off. But I'm no economist, I'm just stating my opinion.

CN

Old 08-08-2017, 08:43 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,904,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
People figured out they didn't have the money they thought they did, because the banks figured out they couldn't lend anymore, because they wern't getting the payments from the people that thought they had money.......and on and on. A cascading fail ensued.
There was a crisis of credit produced by the greedy excesses of Wall Street combined with the gross ineptitude of financial regulators. Ordinary people had pretty much nothing to do with it. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Nancy Pelosi had nothing to so with it either. George Bush did. Alan Greenspan did. Jack Snow did. Phil and Wendy Gramm did. But just plain folks? Well, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Another isn't far off. But I'm no economist, I'm just stating my opinion.
If you are not an economist, what do you base your opinion on?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,251,841 times
Quote:
The nation is becoming an armed police state.
A police state where I am free to come and go as I please without asking permission, can openly criticize and mock the president on open forums, can talk to my neighbors or people at the bar about politics without worrying they are informers? Man have we ever watered down that term.

Quote:
Russia is no longer communist; neither is China
If you want to go by strict definitions neither Russia nor China were ever communist. Even during the height of the Cultural Revolution in China there were elements that were far from communist ideology with obvious examples being a cult of personality surrounding their leader and class divisions based on ethnicity and rural vs. urban background.

If you're okay with referring to them as formerly communist despite the many characteristics counter to this, then China is currently run by a single party communist political system that is still modeled after Leninist ideals. Even large publicly traded companies in their successful liberalized economy have board of directors dominated by communist power.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
What will happen if Trump rolls back Dodd-Frank Act - Business Insider

I think the verdict is still out as to whether this is a good idea or not, but hey, at least Trump's buddies will be able to get a loan easier.

Could this trigger another collapse? If history has a way of repeating itself and if there are enough dishonest predatory people. I think so. Everything in business is cyclical, but there are dishonest ways to exacerbate dysfunction.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:23 PM

608 posts, read 280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
There was a crisis of credit produced by the greedy excesses of Wall Street combined with the gross ineptitude of financial regulators. Ordinary people had pretty much nothing to do with it. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Nancy Pelosi had nothing to so with it either. George Bush did. Alan Greenspan did. Jack Snow did. Phil and Wendy Gramm did. But just plain folks? Well, not so much.
Nice try at political blame -- your list seems to be missing some names though. Did you miss this photo taken at the White House in 1999 where Henry Paulson and Larry Summers applauded as then President Bill Clinton gutted Glass-Steagall?

There is plenty of blame to assign, no need to hoard it.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,904,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Nice try at political blame -- your list seems to be missing some names though. Did you miss this photo taken at the White House in 1999 where Henry Paulson and Larry Summers applauded as then President Bill Clinton gutted Glass-Steagall?
That would have been Gramm-Leach-Bliley -- all three of them Republicans, for those keeping score. And those should note as well that the bill had been a GOP wet dream for years. Clinton finally bought in on it because US banks actually were at an international disadvantage because of it, and because he got what he considered to be important upgrades in the Community Reinvestment Act in return.

At the same time, it would be important to understand that (like the Commodity Futures Modernization Act), GLB was not actually the repository of blame for the Great Recession that latter-day blame-shifting propagandists and excusifiers have tried to make it out to be. The two principal changes made to Glass-Steagall were to allow banks, brokerages, and insurance companies to operate under the same roof and to share the same directors. But banks and brokerages had been operating under the same roof since the mid-1980's, and when Citicorp and Travelers Insurance merged in plain and open violation of the law as it then existed, the Fed promptly gave the deal an exemption. More than anything else, GLB simply brought the law into line with what had already become the status quo.

Quote:
Blame in any case or quantity belongs exclusively with those who actually earned it. All of those I named above met that criterion. Those I excluded did not.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,494,078 times
Quote:

Revisionist history much? Nice how so many people assign blame for the 'crash' with barely any understanding beyond what they heard years ago via Rush Limbaugh ROTFL

Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
If there is going to be a recession caused by overextension of credit facilitated by repeal of Dodd-Frank, that means congress would actually have to DO something.

So far, congress seems to only excel at doing nothing.

The entire Trump administration so far has been coasting from the acceleration built up during the Obama years.

I'll be interested to see if they actually change anything when budget talks start next month, or of they just do another continuing resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or