U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 13,946,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
More racial stereotyping, please...

Well, literally every other cabbie here wears turban. Like it or not, they are Sikhs. Not Indians, by the way. It is not profiling, it is reality of life. Come and see. The other half slowly became Ethiopians and Somalians. Can't help. Come and see. Prove me wrong. Stand on any busy street corner and that is what you SEE.
Surprisingly, for Gate to Pacific, there is literally no Asians as cabbies. Limo service is basically taken by Pakistani.
I did see some white cabbies, likely die hard breed. Handful.
I spend 3 hrs a day commuting, I see what I see.
And it is very simple. Immigrants stick together and take jobs white man, based on memories of flourishing life in America, will not take. Too hard, too much work, not paid enough. For an immigrant, such job is heaven sent, based on HIS memories from HIS country. His children won't do that job too, no worries there. But he has a cousin, a brother, a buddy, that he will place a word for with the boss. So where one starts, more come. And as they take **** jobs, they slowly squeeaze those with higher expectations out.
heck, around here, you almost can't find a truck driver white anymore. Africans. Same Somalians, Ethiopians.
Like I said, come and see. Call it profyling, stereotyping - come prove this wrong. Thing is, country got so darn stupid that you can't even mention any race or ethnicity without immediately being blamed of profiler or racist.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM

7,236 posts, read 4,658,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No matter you go to NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, Miami... the taxi drivers are either black, south Asian or Hispanic.
Most of them do not speak English with an American accent.

I understand taxi driver is not a desirable job and many Americans do not want to do it. However, it makes more money than McJobs? Why are white guys completely absent?
You must have an opinion also op, why do you think that is? Do have some sort of issue with this or just curious as to why that is. I'm sure there are professions out there that you probably will see no people of color.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 21 days ago)

5,395 posts, read 2,860,525 times
Because not enough white people are applying there? I highly doubt cab companies are discriminating against white people. I'm a white guy and I'm tired of white people complaining about crap. We have it so good in this country, that now we're complaining about the fact there's not enough people with our skin colour driving taxis. Come on!!

How about this; why are there no female cab drivers?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I was offered a job as a taxi driver last year, and turned it down. Main reason was they wanted you to work 10+ hours a day and the take home was around $80 before taxes. That's not even minimum wage, but since they paid a percentage rather than hourly they could get away with it. The guy I rode with to see how the job worked was white, as was everyone else who worked there. Must be a regional thing...
Yet again, Oregon is extremely white.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I took cabs a few times in Boston, and none of the drivers was white.
I recall one was an African (from Africa), another was an Iranian, and another might be an African American.
Are Iranians not considered white anymore??

Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM

18,315 posts, read 11,718,581 times
Cannot speak for other cities/countries, but here in NYC large reason why nearly all medallion taxi drivers are non-white is due to changes in the system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/n...d-in-city.html

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...exus-sits-idle

Under the old system owner of garage and drivers split income from a shift; if a driver had a bad night, so did the garage. Fast forward to now drivers "lease" a cab from the garage for shift. This means he (or she) is already in the hole and must earn enough to cover that lease payment (plus fuel and so forth) in order to earn any money. Meanwhile owner of the cab gets his money upfront regardless.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:46 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,309,613 times
Quote:
No matter you go to NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, Miami... the taxi drivers are either black, south Asian or Hispanic.
Most of them do not speak English with an American accent.

I understand taxi driver is not a desirable job and many Americans do not want to do it. However, it makes more money than McJobs? Why are white guys completely absent?
Nah, we get mostly Pakistanis here. Miami was all American Puerto Ricans. They just Sound Hispanic.
"Sorry for your loss"

Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 PM

964 posts, read 925,258 times
Well, rather than take the bait into stereotyping folks of foreign ancestry (pretty much all of us), I'll choose to approach this from the spirit of the sub-forum of economics. The main reason you might feel there are fewer white taxi drivers is due to supply and demand, region demographics, socioeconomic factors, and wage/opportunity costs. In the last 10 years, I would guess that 20% of my taxi drivers seemed white. I don't pay too close attention to that nor do I ask. I'm mostly consider that the driver matches their medallion ID, that I get to my destination safely, and I'm charged the correct fare. Interestingly now that I think about it, I've only had one female taxi driver in my 36 years.

Now to address the OP's original question in a literal fashion, the simple answer is that there are white taxi drivers. To have fun with the ambiguity of the question, I could also say it's because the taxis are yellow or that all the white taxis are autonomous cars (Waymo) and don't have a driver.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 13,946,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Are Iranians not considered white anymore??

Iranians are Caucasians.Caucasians are not white.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM

964 posts, read 925,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Iranians are Caucasians.Caucasians are not white.
Iranians have also been viewed as Aryan. I never understood the whole Caucasian = white thing. Aren't Caucasians from the Caucasus mountain region (Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Turkey)? Has our country accepted false nomenclature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or