U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM

6,038 posts, read 6,539,453 times

Advertisements

The deduction was certainly a factor in MY decision to buy a house.

THE PRIMARY factor? No. It WAS the second factor.

If you get rid of the mortgage interest deduction, why not get rid of them all?
-- Why allow deductions for RE taxes, or union dues, or child care, or whatever.

So might say, "hey, that sounds good to me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM

29,742 posts, read 47,547,485 times
I benefited from it for many years.

When I used to prepare tax filings for fellow crewmen, many of those men also benefited from this deduction.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:24 PM

440 posts, read 199,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The first point raised in Gruber's current wikipedia bio is that he is a Jew. This would suggest to me that it is his critics who have credibility issues.
Wrong.

Here in the link to the Wikipedia for Gruber

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jona...ber_(economist)

Also, the section on controversies also highlight why some believe he has credibility issues.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:08 PM

8,009 posts, read 5,309,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do People Respond to the Mortgage Interest Deduction?
<>The quantitative data used are from Denmark.
<>
This is a joke post , right?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The deduction was certainly a factor in MY decision to buy a house.

THE PRIMARY factor? No. It WAS the second factor.

If you get rid of the mortgage interest deduction, why not get rid of them all?
-- Why allow deductions for RE taxes, or union dues, or child care, or whatever.

So might say, "hey, that sounds good to me."
Same here. It wasn't the primary factor in wanting my own place, but I didn't get to deduct anything when I was paying the same amount in rent. Now I can deduct the mortgage interest AND the property taxes.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM

12,697 posts, read 9,460,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
A cancer? Like many others, the HMI deduction is simply a tax incentive to support activity that Congress has long deemed important to advancing and maintaining a sound and well-grounded society.
This incentive, according to the research, does not achieve the objective that Congress had for it in the first place.

Of course, as will all such things, it does fulfill Congress' constant and unstated secondary objective.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM

487 posts, read 362,049 times
A whole lot of whiny, bitter renters in this thread...

Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 PM

6,038 posts, read 6,539,453 times
Quote:
Same here. It wasn't the primary factor in wanting my own place, but I didn't get to deduct anything when I was paying the same amount in rent. Now I can deduct the mortgage interest AND the property taxes.
Ditto!
I hear ya!
Exactamundo!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 PM

19,067 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Wrong.

Here in the link to the Wikipedia for Gruber

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jona...ber_(economist)

Also, the section on controversies also highlight why some believe he has credibility issues.
It was edited, when I looked yesterday, it started off with "is a Jew and an economist..."

Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 PM

13,463 posts, read 7,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
This incentive, according to the research, does not achieve the objective that Congress had for it in the first place.

Of course, as will all such things, it does fulfill Congress' constant and unstated secondary objective.
Now, if only ALL deductions could be evaluated in this same manner...to see if those for businesses and the wealthy actually help the economy is some real measurable way. We all want things to work as intended, but there should be no picking and choosing of what deductions to throw away when it overwhelmingly impacts the middle class who have seen little by way of wage increases and with far fewer tax advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or