U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 PM

1,236 posts, read 412,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Would it be possible for the USA to be self-sufficient or become self-sufficient in the next 5-10 years for the following 30-50 years in all major aspects: food, fuel, medicine, metals, manufacturing.

Seems that the USA could: plenty of agricultural land and fishing grounds; plenty of petroleum, plenty of land of solar, wind power, coastline for wave power; best medical research and medicine production. Missing low value-added manufacturing, but it seems we could revive that in 5-10 years, plenty of iron ore and incentive to recycle.

I think there are few countries that are blessed to have enough skilled people, large enough population, and enough natural resources.
I don't think so. We rely so much on big agra (Monsanto and others) for much of our food. Farmer's aren't farming like they used to. In addition, we'd have to stop sending our chicken to China for processing.

Medicine is another problem I would imagine. Too costly. How would we manage without the conveniences of modern technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM

3,474 posts, read 4,362,492 times
We would fare better than most countries if we tried to become totally self-sufficient, but there would be a big drop in standard of living. Lots of our manufacturing is done overseas to save money. Sure we could probably do it here, but then everything would be more expensive.

Another problem is that many of the materials we need for high tech products are only found in other parts of the world. We'd have to spend lots of resources finding replacements for these.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 PM

11,073 posts, read 11,482,914 times
Switching to domestic production of raw materials and manufactured goods would trigger hyperinflation and completely wreck the economy. I have my work boots made to order in the US, and each pair runs me about $350. If I were buying them in retail channels rather than directly from the cobbler, they would cost twice that. $700 for a pair of boots would be out of reach for many people. They particularly rely on cheap and shoddy footwear for children, because they child will outgrow the shoe before it wears out. Gasoline would cost $15/gallon. For all the hype about permian shale, actually getting the oil out of most of it would require strip mining several states.

If you want to bring manufacturing back to the US it would require bootstrapping whole industries. Who do we have left who knows how to make a camera, and the camera sensors, and the servo motors that do the auto focusing? Japan, Taiwan and South Korea have invested billions of dollars in research to learn how to make those things.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 PM

4,396 posts, read 2,437,434 times
It would entail radical changes.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 691,238 times
The OP asked if we COULD be self-sufficient, not whether or not we should or not. I think it could be a possibility. We all have to agree to a lower standard of living though. Don't know how much, but I heard we have plenty of oil in Texas and Alaska to last us decades. Most of the things we get from overseas are just extras we have grown accustomed to that we think we can't live without.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:11 AM

64,752 posts, read 66,247,630 times
anyone remember when brazil tried this ? they mandated only things made in brazil could be used .

ibm couldn't even run their factory efficiently there using domestic equipment . so they left .

every country today does something better and more efficiently than everyone else . that keeps bringing us world class goods at lower and lower prices .

it elevates our standard of living qand gives us better value for our hard earned dollars .

thinking we can do it all at a reasonable price is nonsense

Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 AM

491 posts, read 196,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Would it be possible for the USA to be self-sufficient or become self-sufficient in the next 5-10 years for the following 30-50 years in all major aspects: food, fuel, medicine, metals, manufacturing.

Seems that the USA could: plenty of agricultural land and fishing grounds; plenty of petroleum, plenty of land of solar, wind power, coastline for wave power; best medical research and medicine production. Missing low value-added manufacturing, but it seems we could revive that in 5-10 years, plenty of iron ore and incentive to recycle.

I think there are few countries that are blessed to have enough skilled people, large enough population, and enough natural resources.
Not a chance. We would run out of crude oil quickly. And we will need that at least 20 years from now. Rubber is another thing we will need. That has never come from within the US. Coffee is another thing. Can we live without it? Yes, but we certainly would not want to.

I could go on and on.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Not a chance. We would run out of crude oil quickly. And we will need that at least 20 years from now. Rubber is another thing we will need. That has never come from within the US. Coffee is another thing. Can we live without it? Yes, but we certainly would not want to.

I could go on and on.
Why can't we produce our own rubber? And we can start relying more on solar power to take the strain off of our oil supply. And we don't need coffee. We focus too much on the negatives without thinking of the positive possibilities we have as a nation if we all just work together for a common cause. We have millions of smart Americans who could come up with many solutions to make it highly possible for us to be self-sufficient.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 AM

64,752 posts, read 66,247,630 times
americans would complain about the costs of everything if we ever tried this.

if it wasn't for foreign competition detroit would still be selling us the same poorly made crap they did decades ago . i used to plan the day i would take off and have my new cars defects taken care of before i even picked it up

Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 AM

My God people....he asked if it COULD be done! That's one of the problems we have, too busy focusing on what we "want/desire/don't want/would like/etc"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics