U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,009,104 times

Advertisements

"With jobs increasingly consolidating in a handful of metros, will we see any relief from this issue?[/quote]"

I will get back to rents in particular but I want to start off replying broader. I feel like so many opposed "lines" for lack of a better word are all pushing us to one particular future course in the US. To me it seems there is a divide between us where so many young, single, white men with no ties are requesting total freedom, unbridled Capitalism, no entitlements, more guns. On the other side we have Mom's who take care of others. There has been a rise in kids with special needs over the past couple decades, never seen before skyrocketing rates of Autism. These two groups are about as far apart as you can get.

The former wants no government support, the latter wants more. The former when they post online you are ever sure if they are real people or paid shills. They also are a motley crew from what I can tell with my unofficial studying. May I guess would identify with the Libertarian label. What I find tho is some are anti-gov ex-Liberals who were burned by the gov. Some are mentally ill and paranoid, some well meaning, loving but overly impulsive, some are from the Nazi party, the actual Nazi party in the US.

Now take Austin, Texas for a minute-we have droves of rich people moving here. If people try and talk about rent control or complain about the lack of affordability there is some person saying "the free market is beautiful and solves everything, what's your problem?" But it doesn't. Nothing is getting solved. I realize after two years of study, that Libertarianism has a purpose to find things that don't work-it is a valuable tool and mindset. It however does nothing to solve anything. Read the The Myth of Natural Rights.

I was just reading about Portland and the same is happening there.
https://www.mail.com/news/politics/5...age-related1-4

I was reading about Cape Cod having to get employees from out of the country to work in their restaurants due to their tight summer season.
Why your summer getaway is staffed by foreign workers | PBS NewsHour

Affordability in the cities is going to hell all over, yet the rich folks still want their lattes.

It seems to me we are fools to think these developers are building these luxury homes and apartments because there is demand. The demand is for affordable. Everyone can see it. Austin within just 5 years has gone from a great city for all types to a weird(in a a bad way), rich person's city. All things are now geared to the tourists or the wealthy home buyer. The whole character has changed, huge swaths of funky stores and old buildings are mowed down to build ugly, fancy new condos for more wealthy to come in and live here with more of their type. YET, they still use the "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" slogan to make Austin seem just a little different. people don;t look at each other friendly anymore they look at each other as they do in tourist cities "why is that person smiling at me-do they want to rob me?". I look at them and I smile as a welcome and I can't figure out why they turn away so coldly, I ask myself "what do they have stuck up their crack?"

The old lot of land where the homeless lived is now a fancy condo and the rich folks on their balcony's cannot figure out why their are angry homeless people peeing in the yards and getting mad at them. The rich do not understand why people hate them for just living, and yet they hate the homeless for just living.

This brewing is not good and it is not going to end well if things continue.

I see this happened to a couple in Portland. 'Go back to California!' graffiti on car, house stuns new arrivals, highlights old tensions in Portland | OregonLive.com

So the free market folks...are they real are they paid to say they are free market, but they just like the check? If they continue to influence convos and they will probably swoop in here after I post and try and side track the convo to something benign like they do, it will just delay us but not prevent us from moving the correct direction, I think.

What is that direction? Progressiveness. It is the Libertarians nightmare I know but should it be? If you separate the true Libertarians the ones with passion and ethics and concern from the fake paid ones and the Nazis and the ones without a conscience then maybe they could be convinced to join the other side?

One idea I had was to create a 2 choice tax system. You can choose which one to pay into. One is for more taxes taken out and you get free healthcare, etc. The other you get more of your money back but you don't get free healthcare or free college and your kids get zero benefits too.

I know this is a rough idea but it might be something to think about. Maybe if the one group sees a well run benefits package, then they will want in later? I understand the fear of government and the fear of abuse of the system. However the system has been renovated and less and less people take advantage but you still have stingy people wanting to hurt the poor. Once again which are the real and which are the fake, trolls or Nazi's? I don;t take Nazi's views as being a valid course for the mainstream.

I think we need to start rent controls here in Austin. It is the only way. We also have to reign in the developers. The double speak and fake people having their opinions influence the real people needs to be challenged, fought and brought down.

Mom's are a powerful lobby. Women when they get older and men too get to be a more powerful group for sense.

I went off a lot on some other tangents but I think it is all connected. Relief from the issue of rising rents will come from public pressure and getting involved.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Rents where I am have skyrocketed. My mortgage (including taxes and insurance) is about 2/3 what we could rent out our house for. Just six years ago, that was not the case... we were renting at that time, because what we could rent was substantially bigger and nicer than what we could afford to buy.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,273,221 times
It's incredibly smart for them to do this. You see, this way they drain all the money out of the broader economy, so then businesses like retail start to fail, and then those who are employed at said businesses are unable to pay their rent, so then the landlord loses their house to the bank because they can no longer cover their mortgage, who in turn gets bailed out by the government.

It's an AMAZING PROCESS!!!

What will even be more amazing is when the price of commodities begin to sky rocket as they enter the next cycle!!!

Makes me wanna buy Ford EXCURSION!!!!! Gotta HAVE IT!!!!

Last edited by Jobster; 07-31-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM

12,671 posts, read 9,420,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
This is why people like me live in poverty. Even without rent and saving 3k+ a month I can't get ahead because properties appreciate faster than I can save.
You have an odd definition of poverty given that you're saving $3K+ per month.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I should use my powers to change the climate globally.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate...rld-1501446277

Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Affordability in the cities is going to hell all over, yet the rich folks still want their lattes.
Rich people don't drink lattes as they are overpriced.

People who indulge in lattes have poor impulse control & decision making skills. It isn't surprising that they are not good with money.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 AM

130 posts, read 91,021 times
Quote:
This is why people like me live in poverty. Even without rent and saving 3k+ a month I can't get ahead because properties appreciate faster than I can save.
Wait until the next market crash. It's coming

Old 07-31-2017, 11:38 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
Wait until the next market crash. It's coming
So rents will come down when job losses mount, stock income streams fall, and other asset classes fall. Where do I sign up for that....lol

Or maybe if you want declining rents, instead of hoping for an economic crash, you could just move to an area with a generally declining economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics