U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 AM

7,603 posts, read 17,648,062 times

Advertisements

I was being somewhat sarcastic. My latest mortgage loan applicant, a first time buyer that knew more than his agent and myself combined, went under contract to buy a home thinking his score was 745. Well, it wasn't, it was 705 and the payment is 1/4% higher, putting him in his "payment discomfort zone." I can easily qualify him, but for his payment to be where he thought it would be, he now needs an ARM for that payment.

As long as the general public uses these services as an indicator there won't be a problem. But unfortunately, far too many consumers depend on these faux algorithms as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 AM

8,197 posts, read 12,434,032 times
Freeannualcredit for the reports and I have a Walmart Card that gives me my FICO score for free.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Freeannualcredit for the reports and I have a Walmart Card that gives me my FICO score for free.
Dont laugh, but i use fingerhut as well.. lol.. THey report to the credit companies and really help my score jump 20 points that i needed to get the paperwork started on a home.. They show me my FICO and its very very close to what agencies pull.. Maybe be off by 5 points. but close..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:10 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
You can get one credit report for free every year from each of the three credit bureaus. I think that the address is myfico.gov, but if you go to the HUD website, they will give you the correct address to contact to request your free copy of your credit report.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can get one credit report for free every year from each of the three credit bureaus. I think that the address is myfico.gov, but if you go to the HUD website, they will give you the correct address to contact to request your free copy of your credit report.
problem is that is a one time report and the score isnt accurate.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:02 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
problem is that is a one time report and the score isnt accurate.
That report is coming direct from the credit bureaus who are the ones who figure the credit scores and keep track of your credit. How would that not be accurate?

edit: I can no longer find the address in the HUD site (which has always been difficult to navigate). There is a federal law that the big three have to give you one free credit report every year, but I suppose no law that they have to advertise that it is available Anyway, I was not able to verify the address.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-23-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That report is coming direct from the credit bureaus who are the ones who figure the credit scores and keep track of your credit. How would that not be accurate?

edit: I can no longer find the address in the HUD site (which has always been difficult to navigate). There is a federal law that the big three have to give you one free credit report every year, but I suppose no law that they have to advertise that it is available Anyway, I was not able to verify the address.
I get it done my self yearly, by the time it been printed, mail to you, your score has changed up or down. Each year its been wrong by nearly 30 points. I get it started on Dec 1..

Site your looking for is.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM

3,917 posts, read 7,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I get it done my self yearly, by the time it been printed, mail to you, your score has changed up or down. Each year its been wrong by nearly 30 points. I get it started on Dec 1..

Site your looking for is.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
Don't use it for credit scores. Simply use it to make sure your credit history is as it should be.

For FICO score - many credit cards provide that these days. Most of mine update weekly (Friday or Monday). Not sure it needs to be more real time than that....

Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM

10,647 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I use this one and I also use Credit Karma. Both are free. Some credit cards also give free FICO scores such as Citibank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or