U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:43 AM

16,507 posts, read 17,550,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So went to a auction over the weekend to look at some cars that been repo, among other things. Notice alot of dealers trying to stiff the average person wanting to get something cheap. I go to see if i can find a decent car at cheap rate, not to go and out bid the average joe, just to resell it at a premium price. I know some say no dealers, but you can spot them in these public auctions. So anybody had bad experience at auctions were dealers who have the most cash keep you from getting something nice at a decent price?
It's a auction. I dint get what the issue is. Nobody is going to stop bidding unless they reach their ceiling. Sounds like you're reaching your ceiling before others are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,627,546 times
Quote:
Yea i know some are good and bad, bought a decent living room and bedroom set for 200 when retail is around a grand. Got lucky with it, as a dealer try to Pull a "YEEEPP" Reference to storage wars on me and few others. This was a public auction but no dealers allow. The auctioneer spotted him and didnt take his $500 bid at the start. I know some go to find something they been looking for, or go to just experience the atmosphere, just got to watch them dealers to jack up the prices and dump it on you.
I'm sorry, what possible reason would a seller have to disallow dealers to bid? An auctioneer either owns the things he is selling, works directly for the owner of the things he is selling, or is selling items consigned to the auction house. In every one of these situations he had a responsibility to the owner of the goods to bring in the maximum possible price.

What do YOU think an auction is for?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,502,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Is this the same poor average joe as your other thread?

It sounds like poor average joe doesn't want to pay the fair market rate. He or she wants to pay what joe wants to and thinks that's somehow "fair". Unfortunately, poor joe is one of many in the market. Woe is joe.

It's almost like there's a crazy conspiracy where the seller took their product to a highly visible public place, where this person called an auctioner gets a cut of the sale price, in exchange for getting tons of people who want the same deals/items to come there and make the price rise. Shocking. What about the poor poor average joe trying to make a buck selling the item? Is that joe not as poor and sad as trying to save a buck joe?

I'm so sad now for the poor average joe.
Agreed. I feel it can be even more simplified though. The OP feels he deserves something for nothing.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,030,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I'm sorry, what possible reason would a seller have to disallow dealers to bid? An auctioneer either owns the things he is selling, works directly for the owner of the things he is selling, or is selling items consigned to the auction house. In every one of these situations he had a responsibility to the owner of the goods to bring in the maximum possible price.

What do YOU think an auction is for?
The few i found said in plain black and white.. NO DEALERS ALLOW.. Most do that to keep them from jacking up the prices and dumping it on them. Been to one in Cali a few years back, and few were playing the (storage war dumping) game. I go many auctions when i am in the area, just to see whats for sale. Real estate auctions, never been too. They seem to be for the wealthy trying to show off what they had at one time. But thats just my thoughts. Will have to find one in my area to check it out and see what deals they do have.

Quote:
damba
Agreed. I feel it can be even more simplified though. The OP feels he deserves something for nothing.
No, i want something for fair price, not some jack up price because you can. If i know the item was wholesale to you for 5 bucks, and your demanding 30 for it. Thats the issue. Supply and Demand excuse can only be use for so long. Remember a gas station was selling their gas at wholesale rates, and the station across the street sue them for lost of business. Guess what, they WON!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,391,923 times
Except what someone historically paid for an item is irrelevant to the (rational) buyer. If the fair market value is 30, it doesn't matter if their cost was 5 or 25....or if they found it in the dumpster for 0. A fair market value is a spot rate for what it's worth NOW.

And I'm not familiar with the gas station case you're referring to, but my guess is they lost because of "dumping", which is very different from what you're talking about.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:04 PM

13,443 posts, read 15,055,220 times
Quote:
The few i found said in plain black and white.. NO DEALERS ALLOW.. Most do that to keep them from jacking up the prices and dumping it on them. Been to one in Cali a few years back, and few were playing the (storage war dumping) game. I go many auctions when i am in the area, just to see whats for sale. Real estate auctions, never been too. They seem to be for the wealthy trying to show off what they had at one time. But thats just my thoughts. Will have to find one in my area to check it out and see what deals they do have.
Nope. Most of them do not do that. Auto auctions require a dealer license. Maybe there's one somewhere that doesn't but generally they require a dealer license. So no, most of them do not do that seeing as how you have to have a dealer license. There's a variety of ways nowadays to go through a dealer in a broker type of relationship where for a fee you essentially piggyback on a dealer's license. Some auctions allow limited access by the public.

Perhaps you could point out these few ones you've found that in plain black and white terms say "no dealers allow[sic]".

Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM

291 posts, read 131,421 times
OP just isn't successful enough in life to be able to bid at an acceptable rate. Because others are, that means that the auction isn't fair? Odd way of thinking of things.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:14 PM

4,395 posts, read 2,433,347 times
It is the ancient story of supply and demand.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 PM

16,507 posts, read 17,550,486 times
Quote:

No, i want something for fair price, not some jack up price because you can. If i know the item was wholesale to you for 5 bucks, and your demanding 30 for it. Thats the issue. Supply and Demand excuse can only be use for so long. Remember a gas station was selling their gas at wholesale rates, and the station across the street sue them for lost of business. Guess what, they WON!
No I don't think so. You simply want something for what YOU want to pay for it and expect the seller to accept it without any discussion looking for other buyers. If you knew the item was for sale at wholesale $5 why didn't you buy it at $5?
Supply and demand isn't a excuse. If you are unwilling or unable to pay that price and someone else is that's not the sellers fault.

Got a link to the gas station lawsuit?

I can tell you one thing. When I place a rental up for rent or a item my asking price is listed. What my payment is or how much money I am making on the rental or item iss not the buyers/tenants business. If they don't like my price or we can't negotiate a price we're all happy with they are free to shop elsewhere.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

7,003 posts, read 5,201,036 times
Quote:

Its an auction. How does it get more fair than that? He who wants it most wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or