U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,031,855 times

Advertisements

So went to a auction over the weekend to look at some cars that been repo, among other things. Notice alot of dealers trying to stiff the average person wanting to get something cheap. I go to see if i can find a decent car at cheap rate, not to go and out bid the average joe, just to resell it at a premium price. I know some say no dealers, but you can spot them in these public auctions. So anybody had bad experience at auctions were dealers who have the most cash keep you from getting something nice at a decent price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 PM

48,973 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So went to a auction over the weekend to look at some cars that been repo, among other things. Notice alot of dealers trying to stiff the average person wanting to get something cheap. I go to see if i can find a decent car at cheap rate, not to go and out bid the average joe, just to resell it at a premium price. I know some say no dealers, but you can spot them in these public auctions. So anybody had bad experience at auctions were dealers who have the most cash keep you from getting something nice at a decent price?
You should go when there is a glut of used car inventory.

You're looking for something below market value, what do you expect them to do? Just let you have it instead of them?

Old 08-23-2017, 05:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 12,234,437 times
Isn't an auction live market action? If prices are too high no one buys same goes for sales at dealerships

Old 08-23-2017, 05:43 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,154,578 times
If you want a "deal" on something you're going to have to get something that no one else wants. Low hanging fruit is going to get bid on to market price in most circumstances and no one is going to let something go for well below market value unless there is a serious demand issue (think back when gas was $4 a gallon and all those giant SUV's and Trucks were collecting dust) or there is something wrong with the vehicle.

No one is going to let you stroll in and casually bid while getting a steal while everyone else looking to make a buck or get a vehicle watches you.

Auctions are hit or miss. You can catch decent deals sometimes it really depends on what they are selling and what bidders want. Anyone serious about making money is going to set a reserve anyway and no one is in the habit of giving away stuff cheap just because. You can find a decent deal but more often than not you'll be hovering around market value.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
If you want a "deal" on something you're going to have to get something that no one else wants. Low hanging fruit is going to get bid on to market price in most circumstances and no one is going to let something go for well below market value unless there is a serious demand issue (think back when gas was $4 a gallon and all those giant SUV's and Trucks were collecting dust) or there is something wrong with the vehicle.

No one is going to let you stroll in and casually bid while getting a steal while everyone else looking to make a buck or get a vehicle watches you.

Auctions are hit or miss. You can catch decent deals sometimes it really depends on what they are selling and what bidders want. Anyone serious about making money is going to set a reserve anyway and no one is in the habit of giving away stuff cheap just because. You can find a decent deal but more often than not you'll be hovering around market value.
Yea i know some are good and bad, bought a decent living room and bedroom set for 200 when retail is around a grand. Got lucky with it, as a dealer try to Pull a "YEEEPP" Reference to storage wars on me and few others. This was a public auction but no dealers allow. The auctioneer spotted him and didnt take his $500 bid at the start. I know some go to find something they been looking for, or go to just experience the atmosphere, just got to watch them dealers to jack up the prices and dump it on you.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You should go when there is a glut of used car inventory.

You're looking for something below market value, what do you expect them to do? Just let you have it instead of them?
Yea we went to a state auction had over 200 cars on the lot. Some were parts, some needed work and others were in really good shape. The part cars went well below 200 to part stores/ You pull it, some went to known mechanics to repair and resell, and the really good cars went to alot of local/out of state dealers. I know because i saw the guy who sold me a HHR few years back in arkansas down here. Some bought and loaded them up on trailers, few try to flip them for quick cash. Those who got lucky and got the scraps. It was fun to watch and see some drama going on between dealers and average joe's trying to get something nice for a change.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM

1,070 posts, read 708,977 times
Going to a car auction is the worst place to buy a car at auction.. You need to go to an estate auction that happens to also be auctioning off a car. At a car specific auction you'll get something 15% off market value. At an estate auction that just happens to have a car as one of the lots, you could get that bad boy at 30-50% off

Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,395,217 times
Is this the same poor average joe as your other thread?

It sounds like poor average joe doesn't want to pay the fair market rate. He or she wants to pay what joe wants to and thinks that's somehow "fair". Unfortunately, poor joe is one of many in the market. Woe is joe.

It's almost like there's a crazy conspiracy where the seller took their product to a highly visible public place, where this person called an auctioner gets a cut of the sale price, in exchange for getting tons of people who want the same deals/items to come there and make the price rise. Shocking. What about the poor poor average joe trying to make a buck selling the item? Is that joe not as poor and sad as trying to save a buck joe?

I'm so sad now for the poor average joe.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-23-2017 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,485,915 times
We have the big car auctions here in South Florida.

Also, Darlington, SC has a big car auction.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,961,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Going to a car auction is the worst place to buy a car at auction.. You need to go to an estate auction that happens to also be auctioning off a car. At a car specific auction you'll get something 15% off market value. At an estate auction that just happens to have a car as one of the lots, you could get that bad boy at 30-50% off
Estate auctions are great for houses too. . Got 2009 prices in October 2016. Instant equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or