U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2017, 02:44 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
At some point Amazon will have to be temporarily placed under government control until the antitrust concerns subside.


Shouldn't get your hopes up for anything happening soon on that front. First and foremost with His Orangeness and the cronies from Goldman Sacks and other banks/businesses with administration appointments that are "pro" anti government involvement in markets, less will be done on the antitrust front. That and the GOP in general (who control both houses of Congress) are against any large scale involvement in such actions.


Two and perhaps most importantly the antitrust laws like so many other regulations in USA were written ages ago for a different type of economy. Europe both as EU and individual nations have largely rewritten various laws/rules regarding privacy, telecommunications, antitrust and so forth to reflect the growing importance and even dominance of Internet.


EU also has what seems a far more aggressive antitrust investigation and enforcement as well.


https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/go...ping-searches/


https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/27/goog...rust-fine.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2017, 03:02 PM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,280,911 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
At some point Amazon will have to be temporarily placed under government control until the antitrust concerns subside.
Do you really believe that? WMT is four times larger than Amazon. Was WMT ever penalized for being so large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,254 posts, read 2,622,619 times
Reputation: 1337
I always lol at people who try so hard to "eat healthy" yet drink and smoke like crazy, constantly in the sun (especially for the non natural tan people) and then look 50yrs old but are only 25 lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thank goodness. Starting next week I will be hauling my food from Harlem to Mott haven. Screw western beef. Cheaper food means more people will buy, however this will also spell doom for whole foods Image being a brand for wealthy people who make a 6 figure incomes, as well as brand for liberal type of people. I wonder if whole foods image with downgrade with more and more normal folks shopping their? Will liberal elitist change the supermarket because whole foods now attract normal people?
Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods proves yet again mass matters more than class. Of course Amazon will deliberately downgrade Whole Foods brand. It's stores are perfect distributors centers for Amazon's delivery of groceries.

And I'm happy about this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:13 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They're only reducing the prices on certain items. People and their false illusions. Was just there this morning. Had organic raspberries for $2.50 a pack.
On Monday they are just reducing prices on certain items. Amazon has announced other major cuts soon after. Looks like you can't make a class statement by shopping at Amazon Foods.

Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:49 PM
 
4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
i always lol at people who try so hard to "eat healthy" yet drink and smoke like crazy, constantly in the sun (especially for the non natural tan people) and then look 50yrs old but are only 25 lol.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:50 PM
 
4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
They are giving away prizes now? Is that just because it's new?
Lmao prices*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM
 
4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times
Reputation: 1550
I love Whole Foods. U just gotta know how to shop there and you're good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 06:04 PM
 
9,871 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Reputation: 4664
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Do you really believe that? WMT is four times larger than Amazon. Was WMT ever penalized for being so large?
Amazon will eventually wipe Walmart out. At least that of the Walmart we know of today.

I don't have the luxury to shop at Walmart. Neither do you. That is a penalty in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM
 
9,871 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Reputation: 4664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Shouldn't get your hopes up for anything happening soon on that front. First and foremost with His Orangeness and the cronies from Goldman Sacks and other banks/businesses with administration appointments that are "pro" anti government involvement in markets, less will be done on the antitrust front. That and the GOP in general (who control both houses of Congress) are against any large scale involvement in such actions.


Two and perhaps most importantly the antitrust laws like so many other regulations in USA were written ages ago for a different type of economy. Europe both as EU and individual nations have largely rewritten various laws/rules regarding privacy, telecommunications, antitrust and so forth to reflect the growing importance and even dominance of Internet.


EU also has what seems a far more aggressive antitrust investigation and enforcement as well.


https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/go...ping-searches/


https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/27/goog...rust-fine.html
The banks are hardly pro anti-government. To them the government is an excellent business partner. They like to spend, they can be bought, and they are foolish enough to be conned.

And it is not just the Internet. Eventually Amazon will have the power to take over full control of the movement of product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top