U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 PM
 
18,318 posts, read 11,728,262 times
Reputation: 11965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Amazon will eventually wipe Walmart out. At least that of the Walmart we know of today.

I don't have the luxury to shop at Walmart. Neither do you. That is a penalty in itself.

Well I do. as do many from my peeps on SI and or NJ. There is a Walmart in a nice newish shopping area in Bayonne, just off or before the bridge (depending upon if you are going to or leaving SI).


https://www.walmart.com/store/5867/bayonne-nj/details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 PM
 
23,268 posts, read 16,114,118 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Amazon will eventually wipe Walmart out. At least that of the Walmart we know of today.

I don't have the luxury to shop at Walmart. Neither do you. That is a penalty in itself.
Nothing stops you from going to WalNart online. If Amazon blows WalMart away it's because WalMart stopped innovating. Though a lot of the products sold in WalMart are consumables people want to pick up immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 PM
 
23,268 posts, read 16,114,118 times
Reputation: 8543
Amazon Prime members will get more and even deeper discounts at Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 PM
 
9,991 posts, read 7,724,082 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nothing stops you from going to WalNart online. If Amazon blows WalMart away it's because WalMart stopped innovating. Though a lot of the products sold in WalMart are consumables people want to pick up immediately.
Maybe they'll team up with Google, or something, to counter Amazon. Then Amazon will buy Target. Then Google will buy BJs. After which Amazon buys CostCo. A never ending cycle of takeovers. Sounds real innovative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Reputation: 9054
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Amazon will eventually wipe Walmart out. At least that of the Walmart we know of today.

I don't have the luxury to shop at Walmart. Neither do you. That is a penalty in itself.

I do a lot of shopping at Walmart Online.


I hope Whole FOods drops prices on Monday. I will join a million of my neighbors and check out the Third Avenue store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,591 posts, read 2,714,527 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I do a lot of shopping at Walmart Online.


I hope Whole FOods drops prices on Monday. I will join a million of my neighbors and check out the Third Avenue store.
Again, will drop some prices. Don't expect everything to be $.99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:24 AM
 
Location: NYC
376 posts, read 182,755 times
Reputation: 203
I think it's bothering someone that they're dropping prices. That 'exclusivity' they had because of their absurd high prices is coming to an end.....hopefully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,591 posts, read 2,714,527 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
I think it's bothering someone that they're dropping prices. That 'exclusivity' they had because of their absurd high prices is coming to an end.....hopefully!
Prices were only *absurd* on select specialty items. Can get various products from around the world at Whole Foods. Want truffles from Italy? They have it. Want GMO free pesto from Italy? They have it. Want local organic ice cream made by hand? They have it. Trader Joe's can't come close to Whole Foods. Am a foodie and shop religiously there. Even better than Fairway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: NYC
376 posts, read 182,755 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Prices were only *absurd* on select specialty items. Can get various products from around the world at Whole Foods. Want truffles from Italy? They have it. Want GMO free pesto from Italy? They have it. Want local organic ice cream made by hand? They have it. Trader Joe's can't come close to Whole Foods. Am a foodie and shop religiously there. Even better than Fairway.
Whole foods does have a tremendous variety of food so I agree there with you. It has TJ's beat there for sure. I'm just hopeful that Amazon will make whole foods more competitive in price for most of their products. I'll def be shopping there more often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Reputation: 9054
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Again, will drop some prices. Don't expect everything to be $.99.


I read that they will be concentrating on dropping prices on so-called "Organic" foods. That leaves me out. I think "organic" is a scam.
But I will stroll through WF on Monday, nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top