U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:53 AM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I used to stop at the BPC Whole Foods on my lunch breaks, otherwise I'd never go in. Certainly prefer the shopping experience at Trader Joe's and other places. But I guess if having food from all over the world is your goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think that's exactly it. Why one needs to feel superior based on where they shop, I don't know.
It's called a dig shopping experience, which Trade Joe's doesn't have. The lines are insane and the people are savages with no etiquette. Dare I say it, they also don't know anything about quality food. Target actually offers better in that area and would go there before shopping at TJ's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:37 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
I hope WF eventually does something sane about their meat and fish prices. $27.99 for Lamb Chops is NUTS.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM

376 posts, read 182,111 times
Its happening! lol.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...0-on-first-day

Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Am concerned about quality. If they stop sourcing local and organic products *Made in the USA*, will shop elsewhere, as will many regular Whole Foods shoppers. They are a box store, but they carry a lot of American made food and goods that can be hard to find elsewhere, and that's important to me. I don't want some Chinese garbage. Lower prices are fine, but regular Whole Foods shoppers go there because of the quality they offer and the ability to find just about anything I want from anywhere. When I want Mandarin juice directly from Italy, I can get it there, and I don't care what it costs.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 AM

152 posts, read 54,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*LOL* Oh I don't know about that. Buy mainly the 365 brand, so am not sure what I'm supposedly bragging about. Regardless of what the prices are, will continue to buy everything I buy now likely because it won't be much cheaper than it already is. Their olive oils and cheese are expensive, so if those are cheaper, fine, but always buy that on sale anyway. Only pay a premium for a few items like organic fruit and organic meat. The rest of their organic products are priced reasonably. Sorry if you think everyone should shop at that hellhole called TJ's with their mysterious *organic* food items that are made everywhere BUT in the USA.

For an Ivy League, can't be doing too well if in need of their prices to drop so much. *LOL*
LOL why bother explaining quality organic food that is from the USA to people? They are on a different frequency. Leave them to their salmon gene spliced tomatoes and processed "natural" products. Trying to get some to understand is the equivalent of beating your head into the keyboard - it sounds cool but is not very effective. Many people do not realize that WF prices are already pretty low on a lot of stuff. Fairway is more expensive and does not have the same selections. TJ is just crap to me. Mrs. Greens -pricey and lots of expired items on the shelf.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
LOL why bother explaining quality organic food that is from the USA to people? They are on a different frequency. Leave them to their salmon gene spliced tomatoes and processed "natural" products. Trying to get some to understand is the equivalent of beating your head into the keyboard - it sounds cool but is not very effective. Many people do not realize that WF prices are already pretty low on a lot of stuff. Fairway is more expensive and does not have the same selections. TJ is just crap to me. Mrs. Greens -pricey and lots of expired items on the shelf.
Agreed. Whole Foods is a specialty grocer, and for specialty items they charge more. I saw several comparisons between Whole Foods and other grocers on several websites covering this story over the weekend, and they had the nerve to compare Whole Foods *organic* products with *conventional* goods from other supermarkets as if they're the same. Of course the organic product will cost more for obvious reasons!

TJ's is crap overall because a lot of their products may be cheaper but you get what you pay for. Have sampled some items my girlfriend has bought from them that were Made in USA and some were ok, and some weren't, but certainly not on the same level as Whole Foods' products, not to mention how much of their items aren't Made in USA, but in other countries with sketchy quality standards to lower costs. Now if Amazon wants to lower the prices on certain things ok, but don't sacrifice quality and don't start bombarding us with Made in China and Made in Mexico and elsewhere. I am not settling for Made in Mexico *organic* fruit, and anytime Whole Foods pulls that crap, I don't buy it unless they have something local that's Made in USA. Am going to be watching this very closely.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,509,741 times
I like trader Joe's more.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Amazon has instituted huge price cuts across the board in the first day, as Amazon prepares to take on WalMart and Trader Joe's. As soon as the IT departments are integrated, Prime Members will get bigger discounts.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:40 PM

11,830 posts, read 7,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Agreed. Whole Foods is a specialty grocer, and for specialty items they charge more. I saw several comparisons between Whole Foods and other grocers on several websites covering this story over the weekend, and they had the nerve to compare Whole Foods *organic* products with *conventional* goods from other supermarkets as if they're the same. Of course the organic product will cost more for obvious reasons!

TJ's is crap overall because a lot of their products may be cheaper but you get what you pay for. Have sampled some items my girlfriend has bought from them that were Made in USA and some were ok, and some weren't, but certainly not on the same level as Whole Foods' products, not to mention how much of their items aren't Made in USA, but in other countries with sketchy quality standards to lower costs. Now if Amazon wants to lower the prices on certain things ok, but don't sacrifice quality and don't start bombarding us with Made in China and Made in Mexico and elsewhere. I am not settling for Made in Mexico *organic* fruit, and anytime Whole Foods pulls that crap, I don't buy it unless they have something local that's Made in USA. Am going to be watching this very closely.
TJ stuff is crap because they sell repackaged no name brand. At some ethnic grocer you pay $2 and at TJ the same item is $4.99 with a TJ label slapped over it. It just a gentrified ethnic store.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
TJ stuff is crap because they sell repackaged no name brand. At some ethnic grocer you pay $2 and at TJ the same item is $4.99 with a TJ label slapped over it. It just a gentrified ethnic store.
There are some things that I've eaten from there (TJ's) at my girlfriend's place that was ok, but I personally wouldn't shop there. Can call me a snob, but have lived outside of the U.S. and know good quality food and Whole Foods while costing more for some things offers damn good quality. Actually find myself cooking more at home now for this reason, and I never have a bad meal. Buy everything from there and a few other specialty stores for things they don't carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics