U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
But I have had lots of issues trying to use credit cards out in Germany and Austria... so much so I refuse to budge when they say the credit card machine is broken... which has happened a lot over the last 20 years.

Somehow when I don't have any cash the machine always seems to work... not quite sure what scam it is but the local tavern owner said Americans would use a credit card for two beers and he put a stop to it...
Did he even open the till and ring up the sale for cash payment? I've found owner-operated bars like to take cash for pints because it enables tax evasion.

Cash use seems to be a cultural thing in Germany and Austria; I found cash to be uncommon in the Benelux and Scandinavian countries. Locals do everything with NFC and Chip cards, in Sweden it's not uncommon to find businesses won't accept cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 PM

25,801 posts, read 49,697,815 times
Nope... can't say as the bill is settled at the table with the wait staff and very much from memory...

You say you had a Jaeger Schnitzel with half liter beer and pay... the person next to you says what they had and so it goes...

The last time was at nice place in Berchtesgaden.... it had all the Credit Card logos on the door and was rated...

Old 08-31-2017, 12:05 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,237,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would definitely get rid of pennies, also nickels and dimes if I were king. No need to revalue anything.
Agreed. Round all prices to the nearest quarter. Anything less than that has become basically valueless anyway.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM

16,485 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I thought it was obvious that I'm talking about replacing the current currency with a new currency with five-times the value, with a new penny worth an old nickel, and so on. Prices, wages, etc., would need to change accordingly. If you think it is a stupid idea, fine, but say why.
You can't just say abra cadabra poof this new money is now worth 5x what the old money was worth. Doesn't work that way. Doesn't matter entirely if you did because you stil don't have equality if I have 100,000 old dollars and you have 1,000 and the value is now changed I still have the same purchase power as the old dollars. Because prices will just go up to whatever would equal the new value. Do you think anyone is going to keep their old rental or house sale asking prices? Or shop prices of a shop? No. I perinally would recalculate my services to charge according to the new currency.
So you're not changing anything.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:55 AM

8,279 posts, read 3,452,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can't just say abra cadabra poof this new money is now worth 5x what the old money was worth. Doesn't work that way. Doesn't matter entirely if you did because you stil don't have equality if I have 100,000 old dollars and you have 1,000 and the value is now changed I still have the same purchase power as the old dollars. Because prices will just go up to whatever would equal the new value. Do you think anyone is going to keep their old rental or house sale asking prices? Or shop prices of a shop? No. I perinally would recalculate my services to charge according to the new currency.
So you're not changing anything.
One also has to consider the implications of foreign exchange and foreign holdings of dollars and USD denominated paper.

And then maybe take a look at what India did recently, as it canceled the use of certain currency notes.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017...s-imposed.html

Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would definitely get rid of pennies, also nickels and dimes if I were king. No need to revalue anything.
as more people use cards for payments, and fewer use cash, does actual hard currency form matter? as easy to swipe a cent as a thousand with a card

Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,251,841 times
Quote:
Hard to teach the value of a dollar, when the dollar is worth next to nothing. A penny saved is not a penny earned if worthless.
This is silly. One dollar =

0.84 Euro
1.24 Canadian
1.25 Australian
0.77 British Pound
6.6 Chinese Yuan
110 Japanese Yen
64 Indian Rupee
57 Russian Ruble
3.1 Brazil Real
etc.

Clearly USD is within reasonable denomination range (or much larger) to the major currencies of other world economic powers. If it's valuation is too small then so is everyone else's.

Quote:
Billionaires and Millionaires would be cut by four-fifths.
I'm not sure how changing the label we use to group people with money helps the economy.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 AM

8,279 posts, read 3,452,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
as more people use cards for payments, and fewer use cash, does actual hard currency form matter? as easy to swipe a cent as a thousand with a card
I haven't used coins in many years. I barely use cash, and might have the same few bills in my pocket for months without using them. Good pick up about electronic. Could be just as easy and accurate to less than a cent if desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or