U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times

Advertisements

I might check my auctions on lunch or a break but never when I was supposed to be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 PM

125 posts, read 43,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I'm always a bit (incredibly) jealous of people who have jobs that pay them whether they do work or not for the whole time they are there. I'm 100% self-employed. I only get paid when I am actively working... not even paid breaks or lunch!

Honestly I've never even heard of a job like you describe except when referring to county or government jobs. Or maybe a Security Guard

I am paid hourly but exempt hourly. There are no paid lunches or breaks. I am either actively working or on call from 18.5 hrs to as long as 24. By the time the wee hours hit, I am beat. But I still find time to list items for ebay and answer messages before getting some shut eye. Otherwise to do this at home doesn't increase my hourly wage. And ftr, "shut eye" when you are on call is different than normal sleep. You sleep lighter knowing you need to be able to hear anything that occurs during slumber.

Being self employed allows you to put things off. I cannot do so, it all must get done WHILE on shift. Even if a Client or two has meltdowns, is arrested, attempts suicide, took the wrong meds, or another staff walks out on their shift due to frustration. I need to be there to handle it. The paperwork and work must STILL be completed. Sick? forget it. There is hardly anyone to cover except a boss who is much higher up and may be out of town for work or trainings. So you'd call someone you barely know...whom the clients barely know. Potential disaster. Gotta get a co-worker to cover ahead of time. Much harder than my other self employment career of owning an advertising agency. Though I made more $$ being self employed with less stress. Yet no medical/dental benefits and am too old now to risk going without

I work MUCH harder now than I ever did while self employed all those years

We -also- have a family business so to some extent, I am still self employed.

I only go to work with my husband a little here and there, it's his baby.

I would love to go back to self-employment

Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 PM

137 posts, read 74,300 times
Yeah, that's a problem in sub-standard care homes for people with disabilities.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
Yeah, that's a problem in sub-standard care homes for people with disabilities.
This isn't a care home. My clients used to reside in Mental Institutions, that's the criteria.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 PM

137 posts, read 74,300 times
Exactly

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 PM

lol!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:54 PM

I mean we get Clients from those State Mental Institutions though 75% have been closed down. Geraldo Rivera was instrumental in that. Yes, that former talk show host that got punched years ago by a KKK member. He exposed the conditions

So these people are not allowed to be alone because they are dangerous. They have funding from various sources of County/State due to various diagnosis. Kinda confusing. But it makes for the best medical and dental benefits so cannot complain. And most Clients have settled down a whole lot.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:28 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,690,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
I mean we get Clients from those State Mental Institutions though 75% have been closed down. Geraldo Rivera was instrumental in that. Yes, that former talk show host that got punched years ago by a KKK member. He exposed the conditions
Just a quick correction Geraldo was contacted by employees and Doctors of the mental institutions to expose the conditions to the public. He did not find that story on his own.

To get back to your ebay business remember that you lose a minimum of 22.5% automatically to taxes. That is half of the self employment taxes (15 / 2) and 15% Federal income tax rate assuming you are in the lowest bracket.

Self employment taxes are 15%, but you can deduct 7.5% on your Schedule C.

I have not accounted for state income taxes which can vary widely.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 PM

459 posts, read 142,342 times
How are you exempt if you make $25,000 a year? Isn't that significantly below the annual income threshold?

Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
There was a guy at my prior law firm who would come into work, turn on his light. Put an open book on his deck, leave his suit coat ont he back of his chair and go work at a gas station he owned. He got fired and sanctioned by the bar because he was billing for time while he wa working at his gas station.

Another guy at the prior firm was writing television show scripts and submitting them while billing all of his time to "marketing" He then applied by chance to the law firm I first mentions (my second lawyer job) and got busted for falsifying his resume and had his law license suspended for a few years.

I worked in a local park while coaching a high school debate team. The debaters came to the park and when it was slow, I taught them, but my employer knew about it and was ok with it. The school paid me per semester for being the coach, so they did not care as long as we won more than the prior years (which meant winning anything once). (In my second year we placed fifth at state finals, so I could have punched the principal and they still woudl have sung praises.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics