U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM

4,310 posts, read 2,446,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Get roommates and save up. If you can't afford an area, move. Find a solution instead of whining about it 24/7.
I save 3k+ a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM

437 posts, read 198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I save 3k+ a month
How much do you have saved and how much of a downpayment will you need?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
How much do you have saved and how much of a downpayment will you need?
My net worth is 169k. Not all of it is usable for that but houses rise faster than I can save.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
My net worth is 169k. Not all of it is usable for that but houses rise faster than I can save.
How much have you saved to date for a downpayment and what is your targeted amount for a downpayment?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 PM

1,387 posts, read 600,855 times
Quote:
SOSS = Same Old Sob Story.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
SOSS = Same Old Sob Story.
If I was born 50 years earlier I could be retired driving a Cadillac and holding a cigar.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 PM

74 posts, read 57,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

Benjamin Franklin

Good news is that growing evidence around the world suggests there’s a simple design for a safety-net system that may not create dependency—and may help lift people up and out of poverty: Give poor people cash without conditions attached, and it turns out they use it to buy goods and services that improve their lives and increase their future earnings potential. https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...h-poor/407236/

Science

Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
There's a reasonable argument to be had that women demanding to enter the workforce in droves is WHY you've been hearing that argument, oddly, since about 1980 when they started doing it. I personally feel that women mistakenly took messages like the movie "Nine to Five" as empowering and instead of shattering the glass ceiling, they were putting on the same iron coffin that men have been climbing into for centuries.
It wasn't actually all their (women) own idea, really. And the movie "Nine to Five" was taken exactly as intended.

I am in agreement with your position, BTW; I just want to point out that there was a little more going on than women suddenly all getting the same idea at the same time. Because that would be weird. I'm sure at the time, with all the social & civil changes going on that it seemed like another revolutionary or evolutionary trend. But it was actually US policy & one that is being somewhat backpeddaled on now.

The goal was to mitigate population growth not just in the US but especially in 3rd world countries that happen to be "rich" in natural resources. The US was to set the example for countries interested in receiving USAID bailout money.

The idea, based on years of research, was to impact fertility rates by encouraging the education & employment of women (employed women & well educated women had lower fertility rates) & to suburbanize citizens ( farm families had higher than average fertility rates) by messages sent by planned increased access to mass media (propaganda?).

They failed to anticipate the impact on the family, especially the children & the divorce rate skyrocketed. The economic impact of which was born heavily on single mothers, leading to poverty, fatherless households & increased crime.

They failed to plan for adequate child care options & now, in some areas, a year in daycare with preschool can cost as much as a years college tuition.

They failed to realize that encouraging the Boomer generation into being child free meant turning the "population pyramid" upside down, effectively rendering our programs (social security, Medicare ) unsustainable.

They are now stuck in a "now-what?" ... phase. To a lesser degree than China, following the "One child" policy; they have started to backpedal.

http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/Pcaab500.pdf

Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
If I was born 50 years earlier I could be retired driving a Cadillac and holding a cigar.
No, you would probably be sitting around complaining about the price of cars and cigars.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 AM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The lousy socioeconomic class mobility of the bottom 20% isn't just a black problem. Affluent professional couples teach an education ethic and work ethic to their children. The bottom 20% doesn't do that. That just perpetuates generational poverty. White trash in Appalachia has the same problem.
No disagreements from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or