Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
"Bitching" brought us the civil rights movement. Good things can come from "bitching".
"Bitching" on the internet is not the same thing as the civil rights movement. It takes a lot more than bitching. People risked their lives in the civil rights movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
SOSS = Same Old Sob Story.
Permabear and freemkt should become roommates.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
No, you would probably be sitting around complaining about the price of cars and cigars.
Not really because I could afford the house and cadillac.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's the eternal argument. While I agree with you for the most part, quotes like these never seem to change anyone's mind.

I think the most important thing that could be done to get people out of poverty is to promote the success sequence. Marriage, then kids....in that order. Even some liberal researchers are (finally) admitting our 40% out of wedlock birth rate is a big contributor to income and wealth inequality:

Even liberal think tanks like the Brookings Institution say restoring the 2 parent family is essential if we are serious about reducing poverty:

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...Sawhill2-1.pdf
I agree with you. However here is where it all goes down in flames. When the 2 parent family figures out that even with mom and dad working full time they will never be able to escape poverty, raise little junior and provide things like health insurance, dad has to disappear. So mom can get insurance/assistance as a single parent.

For the last 40 years, wages have been static or actually gone down. And all the while we have been losing massive numbers of good jobs overseas. There are no longer enough decent jobs to go round. The bottom line is work needs to pay enough to let you lift yourself out of poverty. You have to have hope to keep on grinding away year after year.

We have lots of jobs. But very few of them are worth having!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
If I was born 50 years earlier I could be retired driving a Cadillac and holding a cigar.
This is a classic. A nice convenient way to absolve yourself of any responsibility for your personal choices and the irrational fears that drive your current crisis.

IF ONLY <INSERT CONDITION OUT OF YOUR CONTROL HERE> I'D BE SO MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL!

Sorry man, as others pointed out you'd have found a way to be making excuses instead of doing anything.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
For the last 40 years, wages have been static or actually gone down. And all the while we have been losing massive numbers of good jobs overseas. There are no longer enough decent jobs to go round.
This doesn't compute. If there has been a sharp reduction in "good" jobs (where good = well paying) we'd have seen an associated sharp drop in the upper limits of lower income quintiles for real wages in the United States, and that hasn't happened.

In other words, if 25 million workers who used to make $50k are now making $30k it would be obvious because the dynamics of the 2nd and 3rd quintiles would change. They have not, as of 2016 the 2nd 20% is workers making up to $46k and the 3rd 20% is workers making up to $75k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
We have lots of jobs. But very few of them are worth having!
This sounds like a good radio talking point but come on, how do we even define a nebulous term like "worth having" to prove or disprove this assertion? Median weekly earnings have been rising and the jobs report shows gains in lots of categories that aren't burger flipper type jobs.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is a classic. A nice convenient way to absolve yourself of any responsibility for your personal choices and the irrational fears that drive your current crisis.

IF ONLY <INSERT CONDITION OUT OF YOUR CONTROL HERE> I'D BE SO MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL!

Sorry man, as others pointed out you'd have found a way to be making excuses instead of doing anything.
There would be no excuses because I'd be loaded.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 622,806 times
Quote:
Not really because I could afford the house and cadillac.
I am not convinced of that.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 PM

1,065 posts, read 622,806 times
Quote:
There would be no excuses because I'd be loaded.
Why don't you give up on the excuses right now and figure out a way that you can be successful.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I am not convinced of that.
169,000 in 2017 would have been 20,512 dollars in 1960. A ranch home then was around 10,000 and a cadillac was less than 5000. Could have bought both with 5,000 left over to invest. Now that amount is poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics