Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:31 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times

Advertisements

The OP's question really varies by type of investment, age, and need.

Type of investment: if it's a tangible item like a car or a boat, then depreciation is expected. Unless it happens to be a classic collector car then you should almost always expect to sell at a loss. If it's real estate or something like stocks, then that's where age and need come into play.

Age: time is finite, so if you're 80 years old I'd sell and cut my losses if I needed the money rather than wait around 5 years to sell since there is more than a decent chance you might not be around 5 years later, and if you were you'd likely have very little time or energy to enjoy the profit. Different story if your 30 or 40. That said, if you don't need to money immediately and you can afford to wait, they why not wait it out rather than take a loss? Real estate and stocks will always bounce back eventually. History has shown that.

One other thing to consider before choosing to wait it out and not sell immediately, though, is carrying costs. I think not enough people take that into consideration when figuring their math. For real estate it's things like property taxes, maintenance, utilities, etc. For other wealth vehicles it's things like annual fees, transaction fees, etc. Inflation applies in all cases. Need to take those things into account when deciding to sell or hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics