Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,697,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
How so, exactly? Because they can think they're making their facebook friends jealous by saying they live somewhere cool like Santa Monica? That paying 30k-50k per year in throw-away-rent-money, lining some landlord's pocket is a better thing than eventually paying off and owning a 400k house somewhere more modest?? I mean, if you're assuming the person can afford a house (or to own anything, not rent) in Santa Monica then it's debatable but let's be honest, 90% can't.
At least they don't have to worry about dying from a heat wave or blizzard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,416,351 times
^^^Very insightful post from the trenches... Max

Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM

382 posts, read 505,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^Very insightful post from the trenches... Max
And make no mistake, they ARE the trenches. If you show up with your shovel in hand you'll be OK, but nobody is going to just hand you the shovel anymore and not all trenches are created equally. If I had a passion for cooking, I probably wouldn't target my career around the fast food industry and it seems like a lot of people have that mentality about their careers because you COULD be the next McDonald's 50 years ago. For most people, that's out of the question these days. In fact, it's actually out of the question for the guys that actually started McDonald's too (if you haven't seen the movie The Founder, absolutely add it to your watch list. I knew the story, but the portrayal in the film is excellent).

It actually took a little bit of convincing to get my girlfriend to go after her law degree because she wanted to "be a writer". I told her to do that in her free time and get a career that would likely pay her bills instead. In her specialty, all she does is write (in what amounts to a foreign language to boot) so she's happy with the career. We both just wish it would pay more and I don't think either of us were really prepared for just how poorly it would pay. If you want to be the next Johnny Cochran and do nothing but litigate (which she hates... she'd rather eat worms than go to court), and are good at it, you can clean house as a lawyer. But if you just like doing nuts and bolts law stuff (like small contracts and estate planning) you're a small fish in an enormous pond. Worse yet, you're in competition with pseudo-lawyers like LegalZoom that people incorrectly believe can replace your services. There's also another unexpected side of the job, like going to clients funerals.. Just, no...

Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
And make no mistake, they ARE the trenches. If you show up with your shovel in hand you'll be OK, but nobody is going to just hand you the shovel anymore and not all trenches are created equally. If I had a passion for cooking, I probably wouldn't target my career around the fast food industry and it seems like a lot of people have that mentality about their careers because you COULD be the next McDonald's 50 years ago. For most people, that's out of the question these days. In fact, it's actually out of the question for the guys that actually started McDonald's too (if you haven't seen the movie The Founder, absolutely add it to your watch list. I knew the story, but the portrayal in the film is excellent).

It actually took a little bit of convincing to get my girlfriend to go after her law degree because she wanted to "be a writer". I told her to do that in her free time and get a career that would likely pay her bills instead. In her specialty, all she does is write (in what amounts to a foreign language to boot) so she's happy with the career. We both just wish it would pay more and I don't think either of us were really prepared for just how poorly it would pay. If you want to be the next Johnny Cochran and do nothing but litigate (which she hates... she'd rather eat worms than go to court), and are good at it, you can clean house as a lawyer. But if you just like doing nuts and bolts law stuff (like small contracts and estate planning) you're a small fish in an enormous pond. Worse yet, you're in competition with pseudo-lawyers like LegalZoom that people incorrectly believe can replace your services. There's also another unexpected side of the job, like going to clients funerals.. Just, no...
If I was born back when we had drive in theaters and malt shops with my 165k adjusted for inflation. I'd have 20,000 approximately. This would be enough to buy a brand new eichler, a new cadillac el dorado, and still have a few thousand left to invest. Anyone who tells me it was "harder back then" is full of it.

Nowadays I'm basically in poverty despite the fact I save all I can.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
If I was born back when we had drive in theaters and malt shops with my 165k adjusted for inflation. I'd have 20,000 approximately. This would be enough to buy a brand new eichler, a new cadillac el dorado, and still have a few thousand left to invest. Anyone who tells me it was "harder back then" is full of it.

Nowadays I'm basically in poverty despite the fact I save all I can.
if you were born back then, you'd be discriminated for not being white, in a 2 parent household and not being married by 24...

Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
if you were born back then, you'd be discriminated for not being white, in a 2 parent household and not being married by 24...
Money sure has a way of making discrimination disappear.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,475,380 times
Quote:
what makes you think you would have it back then if you can't afford it now?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
what makes you think you would have it back then if you can't afford it now?
Did you really not ignore the post before my last one?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,494,826 times
Quote:
At least they don't have to worry about dying from a heat wave or blizzard.
Only the people with anxiety related mental health issues worry about dying from a heat wave or blizzard, because in USA it is so far down on the list of threats to your life any rational person understands and dismisses it.

Quote:
if you were born back then
I get the sense that no matter when/where Perma Bear was born he'd find a way to be the unfortunate victim with a million more irrational excuses for what the rest of us know is plain ole fear.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:14 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,498,738 times
Quote:
Depends on the times. I'm sure it helps. But it doesn't change the basic elements.

Sammy Davis Jr., even though rich & famous, wasn't allowed to stay in hotels in the south, even when traveling with the rat pack. Sinatra had to intervene and force them to let him stay.

Billie Holiday, though famous on her tour, wasn't allowed to use white restrooms or stay in hotels in certain areas.

Many other instances. It's sort of like getting old. There comes a point where being wealthy, fit, with a good body don't make up for being old. To people who like only certain kinds of people, black is still black, old is still old, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics